Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Does anyone here ride a custom made bike?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Thinking of getting myself a custom made bike to help with some back pain.
    Does anyone here ride a custom made bike?
    Why?
    Just for a better fit, or for a status symbol (something like an Independent Fabrications Ti Deluxe)?
    Did you make it yourself?

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Anyone?

crikey
    Free Member

GD, I would ask what changes you would make to a custom frame that couldn’t be duplicated on an off the peg frame, given the points of contact can be moved about a fair bit?

Onzadog
    Free Member

By custom bike, do you mean made to measure frame?

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

No big reason, just curious to be honest.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Onzadog I do mean made to measure.

Ringo
    Free Member

I have an indy fab it is without question the best bike I’ve ever owned

njee20
    Free Member

95% of custom bikes I’ve seen seem to be a very odd shape, notably they nearly all seem to have very long head tubes.

This leads me to think that either:

– People buy custom bikes when they really don’t get on with off the shelf geometry
    – Custom builders have a better idea of how a bike ‘should’ fit than all the ‘mass’ manufacturers

I suspect it’s the former. So if you have a bad back, why not.

higthepig
    Free Member

I had a road frame made a few years ago when I was a time trial ninja. Took my bars, saddle/seatpost, cranks and pedals to the builder who fitted them on a jig. He then worked out frame geometry from it with me on the jig to build a bespoke frame. My frame was built for racing and I presume that if you go to a decent builder, they could make a frame especially for the purpose that you want. The big problem would be to find the person who can build what you want/require!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have two custom made frames. One is a Seven Sola ti mountain bike and the other a Unique steel framed cyclo cross bike. I would recommend that you first know exactly what you want from your bike before you plunge head first into the minefield of made to measure frames. The manufactures all have their own idea of what makes the perfect frame and it may not be the same as yours. If you want a custom frame purely because of pains while riding then surely a cycle fit session would be my first port of call. It maybe just that your saddle is too far back/forward/down/up/across etc…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Yes, because I wanted one.

It fits very well, rides brilliantly and looks lush. Not odd looking at all. The whole process is great as you are part of the design. You need patience though.

My custome mtb is a Robin Mather.

I also have a custom road bike made by a friend, he had a go at garage frame-building and did a nice job. So I got him to build me a lugged steel frame. That is also lovely.

rewski
    Free Member

Have you checked out Enigma beautifully handmade in Sussex.

donsimon
    Free Member

I had a made to measure road bike and now have an off the peg road bike.
    I can’t really tell the difference, which I think means that a good fitting off the peg will be the same as a made to measure.

tollah
    Free Member

Yup, got 2. If you know what you want then its worth it. If on the other hand you have no idea what you are looking for then it’ll be a waste of money. Mine feel so much more comfier than my other bikes and feel just right out on the trail.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yeah.My Standard was designed by me and made for me by Rick Moliterno in Portland Oregan.And I will never part with it.

clunker

Custom suits my lanky body….

29er custom on order, hope to get it soon :mrgreen:

MrSmith
    Free Member

spend the money on a good bikefit and physio and then find a frame that matches the dimensions you require.
    i have a custom pegoretti but it’s actually a stock size. (but then he does size in cm increments so no big gaps between sizes)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone here ride a custom made bike?’ is closed to new replies.