Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does anyone have Memory Map, IGN France, Alps – disks
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Does anyone have Memory Map, IGN France, Alps (2 DVDs) 1:25,000. If so I need to know if it goes over the border into Italy and if so how far etc..

C

ChrisE
    Free Member

Ambrose

I have it/them. Yes, coverage does extend into italy, but not far, a few km at most. Air Photo Areas covered are slightly different too, so some areas are covered by photos only, some by topo map only, some by both. Digital elevation data stops at the border.

Where are you interested in, I will put a pic up on Flikr of the coverage if you want.

BTW- you can scan papre maps and calibrate them yourself if you want. I did it once.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You should be able to see the limit of the electronic map coverage on the geoportail website

clicky

munkster
    Free Member

When I emailed MemoryMap (at Mr.Ambrose's suggestion) to ask them this exact question they were very quick to respond with a lo res jpg of the coverage.

They didn't bow to my request for a discount (said I was a Tracklogs devotee and they had a chance to convert me here) however 🙁

nasher
    Free Member

BTW- you can scan papre maps and calibrate them yourself if you want. I did it once.

How did you do this? I have scanned IGN maps of the ITalian side near Monaco / Tende, and really want to do this!

Any help will be appreciated.

ChrisE

Depending which one you get, info is minimal, also the information is not as good a they are just copies of crappy Italian maps but made to look nocer.

Italian maps are terrible…reeally terrible!

ChrisE
    Free Member

going to ride from Geneva to Nice mainly down the border or the GR5 (from Val d'Isere onwards

C

stevomcd
    Free Member

down the border

You might run into some problems with that strategy around Chamonix… 😉

Give me a shout if you want advice on trails to use through our area (Tarentaise Valley / Petit Saint Bernard / Iseran).

nasher
    Free Member

I know the area above Nice very well and there is a lovely run on the border down to Ventigmiglia (30 mins to nice by train)

drop us a line if you want any route info.

Oh and dont underestimate the steepeness, height and technicality of the trails in the Maritime Alps, much fiercer than the high alps.

ChrisE
    Free Member

That strategy is beyond Val d'isere. One of us (group of 5) lives at Grollieres just north of Nice. One has house in Cham. I know Samoens to Bourg SM v.well

nasher
    Free Member

Nice House BTW

May pop in for a brew if up that way!!

Ambrose

nasher- simple.

Firstly, check MM site for any software upgrades. I'm running version 5.4.2

Scan map, save it as a .tiff then open MM. open the Map, Map List tab at the top, and refresh the map list, not forgetting to add the folder that you have saved your scanned map into.

You should now have your map visible in MM. You should be able to move around your scanned map, add marks etc.

Click 'Map > edit Map properties' and click the box 'allow calibration' if it isn't already available.
    Click 'OK'

Open the scanned map, click 'map> calibration' and a new box opens.

What you now do is zoom into a known location, mark it and then assign its actual location. You can determine its actual location by GPS if you fancy touring the area, or by using the printed grid intersections on the map itself- easier but less accurate. After the third location has been set you will see that the dialogue box has calibrated the map, each location you add/ edit will help to fine tune the map. Try to get a good spread of locations if you can, it will offer better precision. When done click 'OK'

All of this pre-supposes that the map you are calibrating is of a reasonable standard. Paper distorts with age, humidity, wear and tear etc. And as mentioned above, you will be very lucky to find maps of OS quality in continental Europe.

It is possible to build maps from downloaded screenshots from online maps. The legality of this I do not fully know- but I think in the UK (at the moment) it is not permitted. GeoPortal in France may be legal though- but I'm not certain. Italy and elsewhere may have similar facilities available, I'm not sure.

One last word of advice- NATO maps of Iceland are apallingly bad! Avoid.

nasher
    Free Member

Ambrose

Thanks, will give it a go

The maps were professionly scanned and new so should be OK

I dont have MM on my PC is this something I can download off the web or do i need to buy a French IGN one?

Ambrose

Try here:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads.htm#software

You may still be able to get free disks in some outdoor shops. If you are really pushed, let me know and I'll try to get one to you if I can. I have one somewhere I'm sure I'll be allowed to copy and distribute. I think, I hope.

email in profile

nasher
    Free Member

Cheers Ambrose

When I am calibrating the map it only allows me to use the Degrees, minutes, seconds system

My map has not got those printed just grid ref i.e 4850000, 387000

I have tried to find a way of using these references but cant!!!

Ambrose

When entering the 10 figure grid refs are you prefixing them with the 100km grid square code?

eg the end of my lane is at SN 69105 11560, not 691115, or 6910511560

nasher
    Free Member

My maps are the IGN ones and the numbers are as above

i.e one km grid is 4 850 000 and 387 000

Ambrose

Are the Lat and long intersections marked upon the map?

ChrisE
    Free Member

From memory only the ticks at the sides of the maps for LAT and Long then a very small cross on the intersections but you'd miss them without a magnifying glass

C

Ambrose

You should be able to calibrate using the tiny crosses. In fact, it is a really good way to do it. Get as many done as you can.

Failing that, a phone call to to MM should help, they have always been really helpful in the past when I've phoned.

Ambrose

You should be able to calibrate using the tiny crosses. In fact, it is a really good way to do it. Get as many done as you can.

Failing that, a phone call to to MM should help, they have always been really helpful in the past when I've phoned.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i thought the OS version of Memory Map didn't allow calibrating your own maps?

Ambrose

The OS version does't allow it, but when I downloaded the most recent software upgrade it magically became Memory Map European Edition- which will allow calibration of self-scanned maps.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have Memory Map, IGN France, Alps – disks’ is closed to new replies.