Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Does anyone else know someone in Japan at the moment?
  • ski
    Free Member

Someone I know, his wife and two kids plane landed in Japan 2 hours before it all kicked off!

He is still waiting for news on them!

Just read about the guy found 15 kilometres out to sea

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/13/3162808.htm

BTW, if you do know someone, hope they are ok.

rkk01
    Free Member

Yes.

Friend of mine moved out to Sendai about 12 years ago with his Japanese wife. Now has two young kids (youngest can’t be more than 2 yrs)

We watched the box in horror on Friday evening, but have had an email back saying they were safe.

yunki
    Free Member

an old friend of mine is married to a Japanese girl and they have two lovely children together..

They live in Australia but they visit Japan regularly for family gatherings.. his facebook is ominously quiet at the moment..

waiting on news

CountZero

I got to know a really lovely girl called Yoshiko while she worked at a friend’s hotel for several years. She’s back in Japan and married, and I’m hoping she’s ok, my friend’s got friends all over the affected area, in fact she was there in November, she’s trying to contact people but it’s difficult. Ironically Yoshiko’s husband is a senior seismologist. 😐

iDave
    Free Member

Bestest mate lives in Tokyo, him and his missus are OK, but anxious about the big aftershock on it’s way and the wind direction from the disintegrating reactors. He was on 24th floor when the earthquake hit, interesting journey down the stairwell.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Mate of mine works in Tokyo, he sent me a picture of his office – everyone’s still working regardless and wearing hardhats.

ski
    Free Member

He was on 24th floor when the earthquake hit, interesting journey down the stairwell.

😯

yunki
    Free Member

update on my earlier post is that thankfully everyone is safe and well including their extended family..

andytherocketeer

Friend of mine lives in Koriyama. Emailed everyone back in UK over the weekend:

House is still standing and appears to be structurally intact with no external damage and very little sign of internal damage, though there’s a whacking great fissure all along the ground at the back of my house, which is built on a steep slope, so the slope appears to have, uh, moved a wee bit.

Think that’s in the Fukushima prefecture, outside the nuke exclusion zone. Got people staying at his place who’ve been evacuated from within 20km zone.

tazzymtb

Yes, got family friends in tokyo, they’re all ok so far. My dad spent years working in japan so far all his old mates have got through relatively unscathed as well all things considered

BigJohn

A friend lives in Sapporo. She emailed to say they were fine there.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was once asked to marry a lass (by her) over there, If I’d said yes I would have been living there now, I recognized some of the places in the footage. Knowing the location of their family home and the time of day it hit I’m afraid they may all be lost. I’ve not heard from them or her for years now though, I doubt they would have moved, they were building a new home on their existing plot, their intention was to stay put.

It’s terrible.

CountZero

My friend has managed to confirm all the people she and I know are safe and well, which is a relief and a blessing.

grahamh
    Free Member

Yes, brother-in-laws sister lives out there, shes ok but her flat in tokyo is a bit of a mess.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I work for a large Japanese company so I have quite a few friends and colleagues out there. They all seem to be ok though, luckily.

Stu_N

Have a mate who lives in Tokyo – he’s OK as was in southern Africa.

Also have mates in Christchurch who came through that quake OK a few weeks ago. House a bit of a mess but they are OK which is the main thing.

Sometimes Facebook is very, very useful indeed.

Stu_N

EDIT: Double post removed

Ben_mw

More a friend of friends than a good mate of my own, but read an e-mail the other day from a bloke living in Christchurch telling everyone he’s ok and helping with the rescue effort and then later on the removal of bodies.
    He fled his own house in what he was wearing, along with his wife and daughter, and couldn’t return due to it being unsafe. He had been there 3 weeks, having finally moved out of temporary accomadation after his last house was destroyed in a previous quake!
    He is now on his way to Japan to lead one of the NZ rescue teams!
    Some people just astound me! I think I’d want to curl up in the corner with my loved ones and wait for the world to become a better place.

ski
    Free Member

Someone I know, his wife and two kids plane landed in Japan 2 hours before it all kicked off!

He is still waiting for news on them!

They have just made contact & they are ok, but some of the info they passed on sounds horrific.

BigJohn

Ski – I don’t know you, and I don’t know them but I’m so pleased for them all.

The story you told seems to have woken up a deep fear. Really gave me the willies.

iDave
    Free Member

mate said there’s just been a big shake in Tokyo

he’s planning on heading for the hills

roper
    Free Member

A friend has left Tsukuba to go and join his wife and child west of Tokyo. He said the aftershocks are a concern, especially for the drive, but doesn’t feel there are any big threats from radiation where he is at this time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else know someone in Japan at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.