Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does anyone else get hardened skin
  • Klunk
    Free Member

on the inside of the thumb from riding ? Mostly around the joint which can then split and be painful needing copious amounts of sudacrem 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

Back of the knees for me.

I use Hydromol in the shower.

martinhutch

Bar-ends are the obvious solution. 🙂 I don’t get this, but I’m constantly shifting my deathgrip to different positions.

Why not use a skin file on it before it starts splitting?

Climbskin Double-Sided Hand and Finger File

If you want to be flash, or just a bit of emery board from Boots.

scotroutes

Gloves?

Klunk
    Free Member

yes

philjunior
    Free Member

For some reason skin files/taking off dry skin gives me the boke.

For the sake of all that’s holy, please just use a wet pumice stone in the bath.

nedrapier

Hadn’t noticed before, but yes! Just slightly Drier and harder, nothing close to splitting. I like ESI grips and bars with a fair bit of sweep, so that probably helps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got horrible skin on my hands and feet, my heel’s crack and peel off, the balls off my feed crack and bleed, ewwww. And my hands aren’t much better (my knuckles crack and bleed in the winter). Probably down to doing lots of wet stuff outdoors (sailing, cycling).

For hands:
    Body shop hemp hand protector, it’s greasy but it absorbs eventually (don’t go near your keyboard or smartphone for a while!) and once the cracks heal you only need it a couple of times a week to keep them soft.

For Feet:
    My OH’s diabetic and got some palm (carnuba) wax foot cream. Which is great, although not cheap. I’m not entirely convinced it’s any better than vaseline but it does work.

bodgy
    Free Member

As others have said, use an abrasive to lessen the thick skin, and use an intensive moisturiser (such as cracked heal cream) to keep the skin supple.

Personally I like Filberts of Dorset ‘Farm Hand’ moisturiser, as it’s made of natural stuff from Britain, innit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, I use Miltons Nappy Rash cream.

Only happens when its really wet though, like now and only when using dry gloves. Get it probs twice a year max and nappy rash cream clears all the nasty sweaty bacteria out and it heals within about a week..

tazzymtb

bag balm or Udder cream is a winner for helping heal skin and stopping splitting. Cheap as chips as its for cow boobies as well so no extra “hippy tax” for organic mungo bean wax made in the light of a silvery moon, by virgin otters and so on

timb34
    Free Member

Bear in mind that everyone has slightly different skin so what works for someone else to keep skin supple might not work for you.

I like neutrogena hand cream, but don’t really get on with beeswaxy things like Climb On. Best I’ve tried is Rhino Skin Solutions stuff, but hard to get outside the US.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have calluses on my thumbs and palms of my hands but they’re not flaky or dry. I like it, it brings out the Belgian in me. I generally don’t wear gloves on the bike unless its to keep warm or I’m doing a long ride.

alpin
    Free Member

#officeboyhands

slowoldman

on the inside of the thumb from riding ?

Riding? Honestly?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else get hardened skin’ is closed to new replies.