Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Does anyone else create their own garmin maps and if so with what?
  • leffeboy

Back when I had way more time on my hands and there wasn’t talkietoaster as the such like I used to create my own Garmin maps using mkgmap. I need to start again but I was wondering if anyone else does it and what tools they use? I’ve seen a couple of front ends to mkgmap to make life a bit easier but I’ve no idea if they are an improvement or not

anyone play with this stuff?

leffeboy

Oh well 🙁 [video]https://youtu.be/uD51cdLbZJc[/video]

CraigW
    Free Member

I have done a bit. Mostly just using Mkgmap, I’ve not bothered with the front ends.
    I think Mkgmap mostly makes sense, once you figure it out. It is essentially just editing text files for styles etc. Then you can create a batch file for the command, and run that when you want.

I have also used Osmosis with the tag transform plugin – that is useful for preprocessing the data, before running Mkgmap.

Depends on just what you want to do, what sort of maps do you want. I’ve not tried creating new icons or TYP files etc.

leffeboy

Osmosis sounds good actually, I’ll take a look. My only real reason for bothering is that i wanted to remove some features based on tags and decide what i wanted displayed. I used to edit up batch files and do it that way but I remember it was a pain to get it going but then fine after that.
    Thanks

leffeboy

Osmosis looks like it does exactly what i need, thanks CraigW

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else create their own garmin maps and if so with what?’ is closed to new replies.