Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does anyone commute from North Manchester to Warrington – M60/M62?
  • Harry_the_Spider

How horrific is it on a daily basis?

M60 J17 Prestwich to M62 J11 Risley.

Cougar

I’ve not done that commute but I’ve done bits of it. At rush hour, that leg of the M60 can be relatively fast and free or it can be at a standstill for hours. Buying a TomTom with a Traffic subscription made a massive difference to my commute times.

I’d wager that the A-roads would almost certainly be faster. A6044, etc. Coming out of Manchester to get onto the M60 is madness, cut through it instead.

ObDisclaimer: I Am Not A Manc.

binners

Its all about getting through the Worsley interchange onto the 62 in the first place. Its absolutely horrendous in the morning. You’ll crawl. Have you thought about East Lans through to Glazebury then culcheth. Thats an option

crispo
    Free Member

M60 past the M61 J15 to the M62 J12 is always slow in the mornings.

M62 from J11 to J12 is now much better in the evenings since the tigers tail was finished, however still gets slow at the junction and on the M60.

I work in Birchwood (come off at J11) and I know lots of people who drive that route everyday. I think they tend to try get in earlier and leave earlier.

portlyone

Google shows average traffic flow data for different times of the day…

ourmaninthenorth

Just the Worsley interchange that’ll be a pain. M62 won’t be fast, but will move along.

Unlike J27 t0 J21 M6 each morning. Car parks move quicker….

lowey

I go through the Swinton interchange every morning mate and its not as bad as its reputation. Once your on the M62 you’ll fly.

I’d probably suggest something like 25mins for that run at rush hour. Would make a nice bike commute too mate.

crispo
    Free Member

Ourman – I do from 28 down the M6 to Birchwood every morning. The key is to hit it early, it moves fine up until about 7.30 then it slows right down! J21a isn’t being helped by the works there at the moment!

Harry_the_Spider

I’d probably suggest something like 25mins for that run at rush hour. Would make a nice bike commute too mate.

Ta, I’ll be looking at a cycle route too if showers are available at the other end. However, I’d rather cycle down this than the A580.

binners

You got a new job Harry?

Doesn’t the East Lancs have a big wide cycle lane all down it? Seperated from the traffic? However, the road from Glazebury, through Culcheth to Risley in the morning? Erm… No thanks! 😯

dooosuk
    Free Member

I commuted from Castlefield to that junction for 3 years.

M62 was always fine apart from once when it was shut for 3hours due to a crash (could happen anywhere I guess).

I think you’ll be fine on the M60 part as you’re joining at the junction which causes all the problems. It’ll be slow for a couple of hundred meters but once you’re passed the M61 junction you’ll be fine.

It’s J9, 10, 11 where the problems are in my experience.

Harry_the_Spider

You got a new job Harry?

Looking for one. Production at our place is moving to China so 57 of us are on our way out.

Coyote
    Free Member

East Lancs has a nice big cycle lane totally separate from the main carriageway not just painted on.

ourmaninthenorth

The key is to hit it early, it moves fine up until about 7.30

Tend to leave the house 1t 7.30. J27 by 7.40. Test of journey ahead is how bad J26 is.

Sometimes do my cycle commute route, which is a reliable 60mins. Or 25mph av….

Doesn’t the East Lancs have a big wide cycle lane all down it? Seperated from the traffic? However, the road from Glazebury, through Culcheth to Risley in the morning? Erm… No thanks!

Correct. Path/cycle lane all along. But M6 Jn is a bit of a bummer by bike, I should think.

When I ride in, I do that Glazebury bit (other way). It’s fine (in daylight) because it’s open enough for them to get you in their sights….

Good luck HTS

samuri
    Free Member

What you do is go down the excellent cyclepath next to the East Lancs until you get to the old Astley Green collierly. Turn onto higher green lane there then it’s farm tracks to Risley. Or you could just go along the canal and pick up the same road at Astley Green. You’ll need a mountain bike or cross bike though.

It’s been a while since I went that way but it’s empty roads pretty much all the way. You’ll have to cross a couple of B roads.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m guessing BNFL Harry?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s not too bad, it’s a lot worse the other way around

M60 is always slow and so you should just accept it. If there is an accident go through Boughton and Eccles to get on the M602/62

M62 is Ok most days, A580 is slow everyday

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I go through phases of doing the drive through happy valley, depending on where I’m working.

You have to make the trip each way either late or early. If you are on fixed hours it will be a mare.

I just decreased my getting up time by 10 mins per day till I found a time when I wasn’t sitting in traffic. Any later than about 6.40am and the traffic is stationary on the M60 between the M61 and M62.

Going home, things have got better since they improved the M62/M60 junc, but you need to leave at either 4 or 6pm, anything between and it’s traffic jams.

Cycling to work is a good option – the path by the east lancs is v good and you can gut through to risley at the greayhound roundabout.

samuri
    Free Member

Simon D barnes from these parts cycles from Adlington to most days and he rides along the road from the greyhound roundabout through culcheth and then onto Altrincham.
    Thirty miles each way!

And they say southeners are jessies.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone commute from North Manchester to Warrington – M60/M62?’ is closed to new replies.