Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Does anyone actually like the English/British national anthem?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Just listened to the start of the fitba and my god what a dreadful dirge it is, and as for the lyrics *facepalm*

clubber
    Free Member

I don't mind it. Would prefer 'Land of Hope and Glory' though.

TheSwede
    Free Member

It's miserable but it's our and that's that unfortunately. Can't help liking the jolliness of the Italians though.

therealhoops
    Free Member

tiz a yawn fest, I'd much rather have Holst's Planet Suite-Jupiter, or Jerusalem (with new lyrics)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is the British anthem. England deserves a specific anthem, if you ask me.

Interestingly, the original music notes for the anthem had a much more uptempo scoring, which seems to have been lost in the mire of history.

rOcKeTdOg

using the words ":facepalm:" seems to annoy me more

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

it's the best

EDIT: and the three lions is the best badge and the union jack is the best flag (after st.georges cross of course)

westkipper
    Free Member

No, but to be fair, I cant stand Flower of Scotland either.
    (wouldn't the 1977 version of God Save the Queen be better?)

DezB
    Free Member

Its the least uplifting and stirring national anthem of all. Maybe thats why our sports performances following it are so dire lately.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

It's an awful anthem and I hate the fact that it's entirely dedicated to a single person, it feels archaic.

Taff
    Free Member

I don't like the British anthem. Sounds like it was written on a rainy summers day. I don't like the scottish anthem but love ours but think it has a lot to do with pride

simonralli2
    Free Member

I dont have a royal family so i just try and ignore it really.

therealhoops
    Free Member

the lions are French plantagenet lions and it's only a union jack when it's on the back of a frigate 🙂 All the other times it's the union flag(mini gripe).

Is it time for a new flag?

TooTall
    Free Member

I like it. I hate to do it, but I agree with Rocketdog.

lister

I like it, but it needs to be played much faster at matches. And don't talk to me about the fact that the RFU insist on having some idiot opera singer warble all over it at Twickenham!

Just play it fairly upbeat with a decent military band and it's far better than alot of other countries offerings. (and shorter)

rOcKeTdOg

TooTall – Member
    I like it. I hate to do it, but I agree with Rocketdog.

what did i do?

markfu
    Free Member

It's awful, all of the UK countries should have their own. Englands should be either 'Jerusalem' or 'I Vow To Thee My Country' or Slade's 'Cos i Love You' ;0)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

It is the British anthem. England deserves a specific anthem, if you ask me.

Correct. Jerusalem seems to be the obvious one. Stirring, specific to England and not just the south east of England.

" And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark satanic mills?"

It always annoys at the rugby that GSTQ is used for england. Mind you flower of Scotland is a dreadful dirge and many folk don't realise it was written in the 60s.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Honestly TJ?

bananahead
    Free Member

As far as I'm aware, before it got used as the national anthem it was a Bavarian beer drinki ng song. And just think yourselves lucky it could be the German one. By the way… It still contains the verse, "…Scots to crush…" (WTF!) 8-o

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To allow for a few orangemen, we had to write another to sing at away games 🙁 It was always fun singing about fightin' and killin' Sassanachs at Twickers, but no, the orangemen had to go and ruin it all for us…. (tongue in cheek, of course 😛 )

muddydwarf
    Free Member

God send that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush
    and like a torrent rush
    the rebellious Scots to crush
    God save the King (George obviously!)

Is that the one? 😛

bananahead
    Free Member

As far as I'm aware, before it got used as the national anthem it was a Bavarian beer drinki ng song. And just think yourselves lucky it could be the German one. By the way… It still contains the verse, "…Scots to crush…" (WTF!) 8-o

Houns

I loikes it

thomthumb
    Free Member

4th verse the best.

" Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King. "

bananahead
    Free Member

TooTall
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

what did i do?

*facepalm* 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member

Honestly TJ?

Not quite sure what you are reffering to………….

andybach
    Free Member

The 3 Lions are actually Welsh, they are the Royal Standard of Llewellyn ap Gruffydd (the last Prince of Wales).

At the Wales/Scotland game – the band played Flower of Scotland much quicker than usual – sounded great!

Nico
    Free Member

Do you mean the tune or the words? The tune is used by several other countries, though god knows why as it is indeed a dirge.

A "jack" is worn at the FRONT of a warship.

bassspine
    Free Member

I agree with Billy Conolly, we should use the theme tune from The Archers, just need a few jingoistic lyrics but it would be much more cheerful

Nico
    Free Member
    kennyp
    Free Member

For those of you quoting the so-called "fourth verse" about the Scots….it never was the fourth verse, it was an add on sung by a music hall entertainer at the time of the '45.

And that aside, most Scots would in fact have been on the side of the folk doing the crushing. I know that my lowland, Protestant ancestors almost certainly would have.

And England can't have Land of Hope and Glory as that song is actually about the British Empire, of which Scotland was one of the main driving forces.

Of all the UK anthems, the Welsh one is easily the best, especially sung before a 6 Nations match in Cardiff.

And as for world anthems, the French is by far and away my favourite, particularly that scene in Casablanca.

m_cozzy
    Free Member

Its so dull hearing it at sporting events. I love the jaunty Italian one!
    I would suggest Rule Britannia, very rousing
    tune.

[/url]

Wozza
    Free Member

It's an awful anthem and I hate the fact that it's entirely dedicated to a single person, it feels archaic.

I'd agree with that, i'd vote Jerusalem or Rule Britannia

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

therealhoops – the lions are French

andybach – The 3 Lions are actually Welsh

whatever… they're on my shirt, it says england above them and it's still the best badge 😉

therealhoops – it's only a union jack when it's on the back of a frigate

Nico – A "jack" is worn at the FRONT of a warship

whatever… you and 61,126,829 other people (well about 24 actually) knew what i was talking about 😉 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ya.
    My husband & I like it.
    You can have other anthems to sing alongside mine, but the National Anthem is ring-fenced, just ask my government.

Now back off you Republican muck or I'll set the Corgies on you!

Philby

The fact that the first line has mention of one thing I don't believe in (God) and one thing that should be abolished (the Queen) means that I think its a total anachronism and should be changed to something more relevant as soon as possible.

Love the Welsh anthem – gets the hairs standing on the back of my neck when I hear it, especially the few times I have heard it at the Arms Park or Millennium Stadium – though haven't a clue what the words mean, and would probably object if I did know.

Perhaps we should have a National Anthem like Spain with no official words to upset people.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Perhaps we shouldn't!

zokes
    Free Member

Of all the UK anthems, the Welsh one is easily the best, especially sung before a 6 Nations match in Cardiff.

It was better when we used to get to watch Ms Jenkins sing it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone actually like the English/British national anthem?’ is closed to new replies.