Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Does anybody else’s house change size in the summer?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Well?

Between July and September we have 3 doors that won’t close and numerous cracks that mysteriously appear. Then, in the Autumn, when the heating goes on all the doors start to behave themselves and the summer cracks go and are replaced by the winter cracks.

I know why it happens, I was just wondering if it happened to others.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

All houses do – it's not only the house drying in the summer, but the ground on which it sits.

Gary_M
    Free Member

yeh, 10 year old house and we have 2 doors that are a very tight fit at the moment. Never noticed it before this year though. I do know why it happens, read an interesting article about it last week, can't remember where though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Currently suffering no doors shutting at all without force. But thats due to a damp problem, not a heat problem.

clubber
    Free Member

Currently my garage door shuts perfectly. In winter it sticks.

Currently our kitchen door sticks. In winter it shuts perfectly.

It's noraml.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ultimately it just needs the doors adjusting and all would be fine!

darrell
    Free Member

most definitely yes – i have a wooden house

BoardinBob

Yes. Our place is like a sauna in summer. Last year it was so bad, the bathroom wall shifted so much it shattered the shower screen.

BigJohn

I always think of my house as breathing in during the winter and breathing out during the summer.

It was built 170 years ago over an old cellar and has no foundations at the back, and some single skin supporting walls, so that might have something to do with it.

Harry_the_Spider

Mine is from 1909 with no proper foundations, just 2' of brick work on to stone beams.

During the summer the shower leaks into the hall so I have to re-grout. In the winter it crushes all the grout so that it is free to leak again the year after.

I'm glad to hear that others have similar issues.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

Bathroom door wont shut without a hard slam for about 3-4 weeks at the same time every year.I put that down to us living on a clay sub soil?

Wooden garage door wont shut without a slam all winter, that Ive put down to moisture?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Mine's up and down like a yoyo. Built on chalk which doesn't help. There used to be a crack in one of the garden walls which would open or close by 1/2" depending on the temperature and weather.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody else’s house change size in the summer?’ is closed to new replies.