Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • does any one know about jungle
  • alex222
    Free Member

More specifically the production of it. Yes I know you need a sampler etc. I have been listening to a lot of old skool jungle and proto jungle recently and thought what a shame it turned into less atmospheric drum n bass and subsequently dub step. So I got to thinking how could I get into learning how to produce it? There is not much info on the lost and dark art of rinsing jungle production on the world wide web I have found an 808 but £1300 is a lot of money to splash on something with no knowladge of how to use it. I can play musical intruments (but haven’t for a while) and I can mix (also nit done this for a while as I sold my decks). So does any one on the stw forum know anything? I know this is highly unlikely. 😀

jam-bo

It’s massive?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have you had a look on youtube for tutorials? I bet there are some on there.

To start with you will of course need the Amen break.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac[/video]

alex222
    Free Member

i’ve seen that video about the deconstruction and recontruction of a bar of drums from the winstons tune amen brothers. I understand the premise behind the music I am just wondering how easy they are to use and subsequently how long would it take to reach that level of ability. I am guessing a lot of practice may well be required. Probably a good way to waste £1300.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d suggest getting a hold of Logic or Reason or maybe even Ableton. They would allow you to get to grips with music production in general before you spend an cash on hardware that you might not need. Be aware that music production is one of the most time consuming things in world. Great fun, but you’ll spend an awful lot of time getting things the way you want them.

chutney13
    Free Member

Second for ableton. Pick up ableton intro for about ninety quid. And off you go. The full package is about three hundred. Great software. Sequence, loop, sample, everything really. Hardware would not be my first purchase.

rewski
    Free Member

Logic audio fan here, you get a sampler called exs24, and some cool soft synths, and production tools and effects. You can buy lots of drum samples, but if you want to create you’re own then exs24 is a good way to play drums through a keyboard. Propellor heads do some useful software, recycle is great for creating drum loops, it’ll chop up the beats and save out a midi file so you can import into exs24, then you can time stretch and pitch the drums, vital for drum and bass.

It’s worth reading up on this fella: rob playford

paulo6624
    Free Member

Be interested to listen to anything you come up with

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

ableton for me too, it’s piss easy and great fun to play with. check a couple bass tutorials on youtube and nick a few drum breaks and dancehall acapellas and you’ll be churning out shite jungle in no time.

you certainly don’t need any hardware.

alex222
    Free Member

Cool, Thanks for the advice.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I remember a lad a uni turning out half decent shit jungle on an Amiga.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Firstly I disagree about this statement

thought what a shame it turned into less atmospheric drum n bass and subsequently dub step

This never happened. They are most definitely separate genres. They may have evolved from one another, but dub step is actually closer to 2 step garage than DnB.

There are quite a few People still producing decent jungle with amens and good bleeps etc… and there are people producing Amazing DnB still you just gotta know where to find it, have a look for rupture sessions on the download front, they come with track listings and so should point you in the direction of people stil producing the type of stuff you want to hear.

Get down your local record shop and talk to them.

Production: I used to tinker about with some production, I had a virus, super base station, Emu6400, and an old amiga that I used for sequencing… This was going back about 10 years though so have no idea about modern software synths etc.. but if you can get hold of the hardware I’ve heard its still a good way to do it, although I suspect that most of it is done on macbook pros these days.

chutney13
    Free Member

Firstly I disagree about this statement

thought what a shame it turned into less atmospheric drum n bass and subsequently dub step

This never happened. They are most definitely separate genres. They may have evolved from one another, but dub step is actually closer to 2 step garage than DnB.

NOOOOOOO!!! Not the dubstep, dnb, jungle argument again. 😆

passtherizla
    Free Member

😉 ha ha… I’m right everyone else is wrong.

AndyP
    Free Member

It’s a bit like forest, but with more tigers and that.

Cougar

AndyP
    Free Member

that’s a nonce, not a tiger.

Tom-B
    Free Member

3rd for Ableton….I picked up intro for £60 recently and am using it to record my Live Dubstep/DnB project atm. I’m not overly impressed with the samples/instruments that are bundled, but I’m basically just using it to program beats, and add a couple of background synth parts-everything else is made by bass guitar and effects pedals and recorded in.

For £1300 I’d get full Ableton, a decent set of monitors and sub, and a decent keyboard controller by Akai. You could easily get very good kit for under £1000 too….

As for the whole Dub/DnB arguement………its all music at the end of the day innit!!! Always amazes me how much people try and classify music. It seems especially prevalent in Dance and Metal music!!

yunki
    Free Member

I think that it’s fairly easy to make tracks ‘in the style of’ a genre that you like..

But the secrets of getting powerful and clean (or dirty) enough production values are hard won..
    to get an authentic sound you will undoubtably need the authentic equipment.. modern software is improving all the time but it can still only try to replicate the original values..

When I became interested in the whole thing the modern software was very much like a professional impersonator.. Alistair McGowan for example.. mildly amusing but a bit sad and weird and having none of the integrity of the original.. entertaining perhaps.. but for a completely different reason..

things have improved slightly in the area of software synths but most of the time good hardware will still always win..
    and I’m pretty sure that the other half of the trick is really knowing and understanding the science behind good mastering.. equalization, reverb and delay etc to produce the sound that you’re trying to achieve..

If I had my time again I would like to think that I would put in the time and effort towards learning all this stuff.. at least so that all the years I wasted of my life I could have wasted doing something constructive

here’s some inspiration to be going on with.. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUeNhuQKoU[/video]

alex222
    Free Member

Yes yes my description of the three genres is over simplified. However;l the point that I am trying to make is I think jungle is incredibly atmospheric and dark which not many genres of music come close too. Any way I know you can still find jungle but it is far less popular than dnb and the genre of dnb has become very watered down and sanitized. You only have to look at acts like dj fresh; he used to produce tunes like dosage. now he produces high speed pop. The sound is happy and vapid and essentially crap. dnb has lost its way a little. dubstep when it first got itself out there was very dark and atmospheric; however it has quickly done the same as dnb and become not as atmospheric.

Yunki, that is my thought exactly; surely to get the jungle sound you need an 808 and a dubplate press. Still maybe learning about the production values with software may be a good idea first.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Check out Jungle Drummer…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUVmjDIZDao[/video]

I know the guy who recorded that session* a couple of years ago. You can buy loops/samples of DnB phrases played acoustically. He’s a stupidly, stupidly able drummer. They’ll sound much better than generic samples or anything that you’ll be able to play yourself (a safe assumption, I think!)

*relatively poor sound quality is YouTube compression and not indicative of original recording.

Oh, and by the way: don’t use a sub for full-time recording reference. It’s good to make occasional checks with, but you need to work on the assumption that most people will not be using one. If you mix with a sub, you may find that you over-do low end EQ and it’ll sound awful on a normal set-up. This also ties into the question of the sub’s effectiveness/ability in whatever room-space you have. Basically, a sub will probably bring you more problems than solutions. Spend the money on nicer main monitors, I’d say.

TheFlyingOx

I understand the premise behind the music I am just wondering how easy they are to use and subsequently how long would it take to reach that level of ability. I am guessing a lot of practice may well be required.

Another recommendation for Ableton. I moved up from Fruity Loops and it’s soooooo much better. Have a look at a couple of Ableton videos on Youtube to see how properly skilled people do it. Gives you an idea what to be looking/listening for and how to get the sound you want:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZYLp5uX9Yw&feature=related[/video]

chutney13
    Free Member

Still maybe learning about the production values with software may be a good idea first.

bingo. worry about dubplates and authentic beats when you’ve made something worth worrying about.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Need a dub press lol, that’s the absolute very last thing anyone would need.

A few of my brother’s old tunes released on Flex.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3y9UMzc930[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNvwxXfpIQ[/video]

alex222
    Free Member

I am aware of not needing a dub press. don’t even know why i wrote it. 😳

Anyway thanks for the info. all very useful

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘does any one know about jungle’ is closed to new replies.