Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help with Kona rebuild. A2Z Universal Adaptor and Freewheel questions
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m planning to resurrect my Kona Muni Mula, so will be buying an A2Z adapter to allow me to fit disk brakes on the rear.
    I think I need a further adapter to allow me to fit the brakes on, but I don’t know which one.
    What do I need? (160mm rear rotor)

cheers
    A2Z thingumy

Also, I need to buy new cassette and rear mech, but the wheels are long since binned so I don’t know whether it was 8 or 9 speed. Can anyone remember when 9 speed came in? The bike is around 20 years old I guess, with XT rear mech. Clearly the rear shifter and cassette need to match (in terms of cog numbers) but does the mech itself also need to match?
    And then if I replace the rear shifters, mech and cassette, and chain with 10 speed, does that also mean I need to replace the chainset? ie are chainsets specific to either 9 or 10 speed?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think it’s this one. Can anyone confirm?

160mm adapter

shermer75
    Free Member

I found this if it helps

Speshpaul
    pictonroad

I’ve had one on a Zaskar for years now, brilliant little thing, heavy and a bit industrial but does the job perfectly. The Zaskar has a very flat tall dropout that’s perfect for it.

It might be different on your frame but because of the height of the unit you can’t go smaller than 180 with it. I’ve filed and fettle my adaptor a bit so the pads are perfectly aligned.

So, it might require a tiny bit of fettling but I recommend them.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got the a2z one and the rock n roll one. The rock m roll one works much better than the a2z one.

garage-dweller

I have an a2z that doesn’t fit my bike. Fiddly solution but I reckon would work ok if it fits.

Yours for the postage.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hmm, that sounds like a good offer.
    Don’t suppose you’re anywhere near Manc are you?
    Then you can spend the postage on beer instead 🙂

Are you able to PM or email me ?
    Can’t see how to email you, but maybe you’ve disabled the facility.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Anyone know if the rocknroll adaptor fits 700c sized frames with canti mounts? I guess the torsion bar needs to be a little longer, is there enough adjustment on it for that?

garage-dweller

Cannot see your email either (cannot see a pm option either) but changed my settings So mine should be visible.

I’m in the soggy south So definitely a postal job!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

GD – I’ve emailed you. Let me know if you are able to send it. Halfords has 10% off until tomorrow so I could do with knowing fairly soon.

cheers

Also, anyone else able to answer the question on chainsets, if I change from 9 to 10 speed at the back, do I need to replace the chainrings as well to match the new chain?

cheers

Speshpaul

You should be ok with chainset, i’m running a middleburn set up with 10 speed that used to be on a 8speed then 9speed transmission.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help with Kona rebuild. A2Z Universal Adaptor and Freewheel questions’ is closed to new replies.