Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does a (universal) bar mount exist for using smart phone as navigational tool…
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

…that is waterproof and fit for purpose to take mountain biking i.e. bumping around down a steep rocky trail?

I think it doesn’t but would love to know if someone has one and uses it safely.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes it’s called a Garmin.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Do Garmin sell bar mounts for smart phones?

benp1

Depends how rocky a trail you’re using

For light stuff there are a couple of stem mount or bar mount options, I think Topeak do one

For bumpier stuff RAM will definitely have something, I use a RAM kit to get a Garmin on my motorbike

But for really bumpy stuff most things will struggle (and your phone will take a real beating!)

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@benp1 – my head says it wouldnt do the phone any good too…

My interpretation of rocky is essentially any mtb route you’d go exploring on in say the Peaks or Lakes that is found in the mtb guide books

Mister-P
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    Do Garmin sell bar mounts for smart phones?

No they sell proper waterproof and crash proof GPS devices that mount properly on the bars.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Christ. Your half way to an entry level/second hand GPS at the price of one of those. It’ll make a much better navigation tool too.

With the phone thing you’ll still end up with a fragile, 600 quid phone sticking out like a sore thumb.

welshfarmer

I just use a top bar bag with a clear phone pocket on top. It fits the HT well but not so well on the FS. But it has lasted well and phone has survived a proper hammering over the years all over the UK. Plus waterproof and can hold a multitude of other bits like multi-tool, inhaler, gels, patches etc.

I have the Birzman 2.. like this but smaller

https://www.evanscycles.com/birzman-zyklop-navigator-iii-bar-bag-EV231111

mark90
    Free Member

I use this Ram mount….

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/rail-ezon-swivel-mount-p-1500.html
    http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/universal-pda-holder-p-1028.html

With an old S2 phone. If it’s really wet I stick it in a clear sandwich bag, yeh I know really ghetto but touch screen still works. I find having a good screen with clear OS mapping better than any reasonable cost GPS unit. But then I prefer to navigate from OS maps rather than follow a trail on the GPS.

After 3-4 years use as a phone it owes me nothing now to use it as GPS (for bike or car nav). If/when the phone dies I will probably replace with a cheap chinese rugged/waterproof phone.

As for the mount security, I didn’t lose the phone coming down the Beast in the peaks, although my i-spec shifter did come loose and I lost the bolt holding that on. I run with the phone/mount landscape as in portrait any big hits do work in the direction of the release spring.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers for replies…

@welshfarmer …i think that Birzman is something that would work for me. Seems safer for the phone than being stuck exposed on top the handlebars.

thenorthwind

Yep, that top tube bag looks like a good, easy, cheap solution. Probably provides the best amount of cushioning for the phone.

longwayhome
    Free Member

I use something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-Holder-Front-Frame-Handlebar-Bag-Pouch-Phone-Case-/272420366765?var=&hash=item3f6d84e9ad:m:mbrSd2RoahEiaaT6JwdSjNA

Various similar designs and different sellers (many from China) on ebay. Surf around a bit and choose a size that fits your phone. I also use one of those silicone skins to add protection.

I tried one of the top-tube bags above but it’s a bit near your knees and the weight of the phone made it top-heavy and prone to slipping sideways.

welshfarmer

Yep, phone is well protected. It does wiggle about a bit but that only really helps stop shock damage. I once had the zip work open at the bottom and lost a few bits out of the bag. The phone was still solid in there (it is held tightly between the clear front and some closed cell foam fixed with velcro). I now make sure the zips are up one end rather than at the bottom in the middle. You do need frame tape or it rubs the paint off.

zntrx
    Free Member

I’ve been using a topeak drybag for a couple of years. Can’t fault it.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have a Garmin mount but no Garmin, if i could buy or find something to fit to it I’d use that but Google doesn’t seem to want to help.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Use a garmin?

onandon
    Free Member

Topeak for phones. The mount is secure and cheap if you need them for different bikes.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I have the quadlock system for my bike and car and it’s brilliant. Decided to spend the money after having some cheaper branded ones that were crap.

However I only use phone on bike for touring or road rides where I can put the phone in a pocket if it chucks it down. I wouldn’t use one for proper muddy MTB rides or where I might crash.

I don’t like loads of devices when my phone does pretty much everything but if I wanted GPS on the MTB I’d get a Garmin.

Never needed one though, I like naps and exploring rather than following other peoples routes!!

newrobdob
    Free Member

I had the Topeak system. The waterproof case is good but can steam up and the mounting system isn’t as good as some of their other kit – Quadlock is better in that respect.

hot_fiat

+2 for topeak. I have a ridecase bag and a ridecase charging case for my iphone. The stem top cap mount is utterly bomb proof and both cases are totally waterproof and very robust.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@welshfarmer..that Birzman you recommended is exactly what I wanted. Works a treat for my needs. Cheers.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cut one of these down
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-quickview-garmin-computer-mount-adaptor/rp-prod123354
    and screw/glue it to a robust phone case and use a Garmin mount.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does a (universal) bar mount exist for using smart phone as navigational tool…’ is closed to new replies.