Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Does a Jaguar make a good biking car?
  • Northwind

gmex619 – Member

The Jaguar was bought as the price was right, I like the cars and enjoy the prestige of it.

It’s a less good Mondeo ST. The worst ST, obviously. Prestige-tastic.

sbob
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

belt or chain makes very little difference to the engines reliability

what it allows is people to neglect their cars easier as it wont catastrophically fail as early.

when chains let go – boy do they let go.

johnellison
    Free Member

In this day and age I can’t understand why anyone would want a large (i.e. 2.5l plus) petrol engine if you do mileage? 22mpg is inexcusable these days unless you’re a member of the Omani Royal Family.

If you don’t like Ford diesels, look at something else – VAG and Volvo spring to mind (and most of Volvo’s diesels are built by Audi).

And I’m sorry OP – but an X-type saloon? As a biking car? Surely an estate would have been better, the boots are microscopic on the saloons! That’s why I didn’t get one!!

hot_fiat

belt or chain makes very little difference to the engines reliability

Pretty much exactly what I was going to put. The total obsession on here with chain-driven engines is mind-boggling.

gmex619
    Free Member

I’ve used quite a few snow tyres last year espescially. I was working over the Holidays and right the way through winter and no matter what I bought the car didn’t want too go.

It’s the same in Rain though. I’ve tried everything from Super Soft Pirellis through too Brick-like Budgets and they all step out quite a bit at the same kind of speed.

I was generallising about my dislike of Diesels. I’ve driven a few Diesel cars and had problems with them all. With a range from a “R” reg Vectra through too a “63” plated Audi S3 with a few inbetween.

As for the prestige comment, Jaguar used too be a car giant in my eyes. I believe they still are, they may have bits of many other cars inside them but at the end of the day Jaguar is a Prestige brand and that’s what I wanted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorry but it sounds like your driving like a pillock slow down before you kill someone.

Tires dont just “step out” when driven sensibly.

gmex619
    Free Member

Like I said. I’ve got a tracker box fitted too my current car that’s rated at 100-100-100-25 across the board. Speed, Acceleration, Braking and time of day driving. In that order. I’ve got absolutely no idea what it is about the car but it doesn’t behave for me. Never has and I doubt they ever will.

I understand the reason for your saying it sounds like I’m driving like a pillock but I’m really not..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

it wont catastrophically fail as early.

Sounds like more reliable to me 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like lazy owners to me. Itll only fail catastrophically if you ignore service intervals – but then people do that. Dropped the oil on my girlfriends dads old car – it was like lumpy water. – when was this last changed – baring in mind they had it for 8 years …… Never been changed , just topped up. Thatll ignorance on the servicing front will explain it running like a bag of crap.

Changing a timing chains is usually very expensive . Many do have a change interval of around 100k most folk chose to ignore this. Chain slap is a lovely sound :/ – also i think not failing catastrophically was the wrong word – waterpumps tend not to get changed on chain drive engines till they have failed – despite most being easier to change so instead of munching the pistons and valves the engine just cooks – which is pretty catastrophic.

Changing a timing belt – belts and tensioner – 120 quid on my car and a water pump adds 80 quid. – fitted.

gmex619
    Free Member

The first thing I do when I buy a car is get it serviced. Even if I’ve been told it’s just been serviced, safe is better than sorry.

Timing Chain replacement on my Mondeos was done before I bought the cars at a cost of around £800 each. I still have the reciepts too show that.

The Jaguar is at 104k so I’m going too have the chain checked at the main dealers. Expensive yes but I’m not totally sure what the change interval is on it.

The biking question was semi-theoretical by the way. I was more concerned about peoples experiences of reliability and comfort, as a mile muncher I’ll be needing both of those.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Does a Jaguar make a good biking car?’ is closed to new replies.