Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • does a decent instant mash still exist ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

haven’t used any for ages but years ago i found that several supermarkets sold flakes which were suprisingly good . Nowadays it seems it’s all powder ,God knows why which is vastly inferior IMO producing a smooth glop with no texture.
    anyone know where to source the good stuff ?

weeksy

Frozen section, pellets.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not instant by a long way though Weeksy!
    Smash is still about the best although the Asda one is good as long as you go for the Chosen range

deadkenny
    Free Member

Smash still exists 😉 . Though I guess it’s not what it used to be.

Proper mashed spuds only takes 10 minutes anyway and far superior.

kaiser
    Free Member

never like smash always found it to have an artificial flavour and texture . The ones I used to use ( can’t remember the supplier ) gave a genuine fluffy realistic mash

5thElefant
    Free Member

Are we back in the 70s? Can I blame Brexit?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I like Smash, but I don’t think of it as potato

shifter
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch Smash but recently we tried microwave mash in a tray while our kitchen was in bits. Surprisingly not bad.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Still?

bigrich

buy a freeze dryer and make your own

allthepies
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

Smash is the reason I thought I didn’t like mash!

Microwave or bake real potatoes, scoop out, mash with butter, milk etc. Way easier and produces better mash than peeling, chopping and boiling.

z1ppy

I would question if a decent instant mash ever existed, Smash was vile, even if it had cool adverts back in the day.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why do people eat shit instead of food?

Cougar

Microwave or bake real potatoes, scoop out, mash with butter, milk etc.

Boil new potatoes. Sautée spring onions in a generous dollop of butter with a good pinch of salt. When softened, add the boiled spuds, mash roughly with a fork or the back of a spoon. Best mash ever.

joebristol

Smash is ok for what it is. But I don’t consider it real mash potato.

shinton
    Free Member

Angel Delight for pud OP? 😀

slowoldman

“still exist”? It never did.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I remember Pot Mash

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

My life was changed when someone suggested using a steamer.

Before, depending on temp, hob and the potato itself, sometimes they got waterlogged on the boil, or didn’t cook evenly.

Now I use a steamer, and my spuds are always perfect before the mash.

teasel
    Free Member

Angel Delight

Ye gods. I was served up some of this not more than a week ago (I think it was a laugh or something).

That stuff has the consistency of something you’d find in the pan after a Movicol party the night before. Vile…!

z1ppy

stop trying to ruin my childhood, Angel delight was great!
    Friends presented us with a trifle made from amongst other stuff, angel delight and Jamaican ginger cake.. we smiled and said it look great, and TBH much to our amazement, it was!

Drac

Before, depending on temp, hob and the potato itself, sometimes they got waterlogged on the boil, or didn’t cook evenly.

How can you make a mess of boiling sum spuds?

chiefgrooveguru

There’s a relatively narrow time window between undercooked and lumpy and overcooked and soggy when boiling potatoes for mash. When baking them they never go soggy, the only risk is losing too much of the outside because it’s baked hard but that requires incredible ineptitude. A baker potato is always drier so makes a richer mash and it gains the flavour from the skin. And if you start them in the microwave it doesn’t take any longer either.

I’ll try that crushed new potato method though, that sounds good for spring/summer.

cranberry
    Free Member

Decent instant mash = Cous cous.

Very simply/almost instant to make, tasty and it hasn’t been pooped out the arse-end of an industrial process.

Admittedly it doesn’t work for *every* dish, but it does for most casseroles and stews.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why do people eat shit instead of food?

I’ve asked my dog the same thing. He says it’s because you can’t shag it.

madweedavey
    Free Member

How can you make a mess of boiling sum spuds?

This is STW.

Drac

There’s a relatively narrow time window between undercooked and lumpy and overcooked and soggy when boiling potatoes for mash.

Relative to what? Continental drift?

argoose
    Free Member

smash + cheese and pour over tin of oxtail soup .

tomhoward

Smash made with 50/50 water and full fat milk, lashings of butter, some cheese and a bit of mustard, in a bowl with bisto gravy and sausages. Comfort food heaven.

benp1

Real mash is a palava with peeling spuds etc

I have a potato ricer on my xmas list for this very reason, mashed potatoes from potatoes with skin on

teasel
    Free Member

stop trying to ruin my childhood, Angel delight was great!
    Friends presented us with a trifle made from amongst other stuff, angel delight and Jamaican ginger cake.. we smiled and said it look great, and TBH much to our amazement, it was!

Heh

That trifle sounds lovely but they’re using butterscotch flavour, which is exactly what I had in mind when writing my previous post.

May be if I just shut my eyes…

🙂

Drac

Real mash is a palava with peeling spuds etc

This is a wind up surely?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

mash roughly with a fork or the back of a spoon.

no, this is quite simply rubbish advice! : )

the key to making perfect mash, without getting into added xtras or the correct size dollop of butter and slosh of milk/cream is this.

1. use a proper potato masher, one with a flat plate base thats full of holes.
    2. as you mash give the masher a slight twist, or even mash in a twisting motion rather than a straight up and down.

that will give you perfect creamy textured zero lumpy mash.

teasel
    Free Member

use a proper potato masher, one with a flat plate base thats full of holes.

Yeah, definitely not one of those weird curved metal things. Someone bought one for me thinking I needed it and it’s still just sat in my drawer unused. Maybe I’ll use it as a brand iron to mark those that buy me useless shit.

slowoldman

Decent instant mash = Cous cous.

Agreed. Excellent with stir fried or sautéed veg too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It also helps to get the right potato. Some mash better than others. Desiree is my potato of choice for mashing duties. I’ve just got a brilliant masher from Aldi. A ricer is good, but more of a faff and now i’ve got a decent masher pointless.

anagallis_arvensis

Smash with instant gravy and some sausages tastes great when camping.**** rank if sat in a house though…which is odd

llama

Instant mash? I’d rather starve darling

zbonty

Tis the season to be mashing. The baked method sounds good-have to try that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘does a decent instant mash still exist ?’ is closed to new replies.