Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Does 30mm make that much difference ?
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so i have a dilema.

I need to repalce my previous hardtail and have settled on the frame i want but can't decide on size. 😕

I'm 6'5" and would normally go for an XL/21-22 which is what i previously had and that felt right in every way and the measurements of the new frame in XL are what I'm looking for but the wheelbase on new XL frame is 30mm longer than my previous bike and I'm worried that it will be less nimble/flickable in tighter singletrack.

So my question is, will i notice the extra 30mm on the wheelbase ?

I should also say that its a Mythic Paradox 29er hardtail that i am getting.

Any thoughts ?

bigsi
    Free Member

Anyone ?

mk1fan
    Free Member

If the geo was the same then yes but I suspect the Mythic will have different geo to work with the wheelbase.

I'm on the cusp between sizes (small / med though) and I pick the smaller so that I keep that flickable trait.

KT1973
    Free Member

Any chance you could get a test ride first? Even just around the block?

bigsi
    Free Member

The geo is slightly different (slacker head angle, more stand over, same reach & shorter chain stay).

Won't be able to get a test ride as its a frame only purchase 😐

Rickos
    Free Member

I'd say you would feel it, especially with the slacker head angle. I could tell the difference in nimbleness between my Hemlock and Prophet with the Prophet being slacker, longer, lower and slightly less nimble in the twisties but awesome on the flat out bits. Depends where you ride I suppose as to whether one would be 'better' than the other, but looking at your post you like nimble.

Having said all that, if the BB on the longer bike is higher than the shorter bike you may not feel the less nimble feeling too much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Does 30mm make that much difference ?’ is closed to new replies.