• This topic has 32 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hoted.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Dodgy scotish border Mx5 dealer Strikes again.
  • hoted
    Free Member

I need help/rant I left a deposit on an import JDM car due in March “just like Benz” I wish I had read his post before doing so. I was promised it would be ready March then April and that all details would be forward to me but the dishonest dealer doesn’t reply.I have sent a mail asking for a refund due to empty promises and the lack of a completion date What a mug I have been, does anyone know what the rules are after the 14day deadline when buying online.
    Thanks

Hoted

Cougar

I’m assuming your reference to 14 days is the Consumer Contract Regulations right to cancel. You can cancel an order from the moment you order until 14 days after receipt of the goods, it’s not 14 days after ordering.

Under the Consumer Rights Act the default for deliveries is 30 days. For late deliveries, you have the right to cancel for a full refund if an alternative date cannot be agreed.

Did you pay by credit card? They’re jointly liable also if so (under section 75 of… something, consumer credit act or some such), get onto them and they’ll pursue it for you.

hoted
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply Cougar No I paid via bank transfer,I no longer want the mx5 due to missing a trip away with the guys (Germany last week). Communication from the dealer got less and less nearer the collection date (end Apl).So then I asked for a refund and nothing ever since.

Cougar

Was the dealer aware that you wanted it for a specific date? If so that negates the “alternative date” argument above.

Send a recorded letter stating that you’re cancelling the order and if you’ve not heard back from them within seven days confirming your refund then you intend to issue a claim against them in the county court without further reference to them. (Assuming you’re prepared to do that, of course.)

hoted
    Free Member

Yes and no I first spoke to him over the phone where he sounded very plausible about the whole deal time scale so on, I outlined that March would be good due to going away he said “fine”.

Above all on the phone

However one week before the end of March I emailed him (no reply until the end of March)to ask where we were he said he had some delays and that it would be the end of April, I thought these things happen and took him for is word but I still had approx 2 weeks of sorting any teething problems. Almost the end of May now and had no refund.

I would never buy a car without seeing it again over the net, lesson learned

I’ll get back to you when the recorded letter goes out thanks for the advise…do you know of any standard templates for cancellations
    cheers
    hoted

benz
    Free Member

Any update?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s going on in this thread..?

hoted
    Free Member

Sorry all for the time delay

Just a quick fail date I have had no reply to emails a letter or phone calls. But he’ll answer friends email when wanting to view/buy a car.

I have been in touch with citizens advice and trading standards, because I left a deposit via bank transfer and not debt visa card my only option is to go through the small claims, My advise to anyone buying from over the internet would be to use a card as you can do a charge back if things go wrong.

I was lead down the garden path by MX5 Good Wood sports cars and believed all the bulls**t IE my switch machine is unreliable so pay via bank transfer I’ll send a receipt, your car is on its way and will be ready for the date we have agreed If not I’ll refund you, I’ll send you all the reg info so you can get insured before collection, I’ll do extra cavity rust proofing free, If there’s any problems I’ll let you know the list goes on SOUND TO GO TO BE TRUE

Never again if i hear anything I’ll post it

Over and out

smokey_jo

If you’re still looking for an mx5 and are in the North West I know if one going for 2k which is the owner of my loval garages daughters car.

If you want details let me know and I’ll put you in touch with him.

hoted
    Free Member

Rust Free?

xora

I have been in touch with citizens advice and trading standards

And I guess the boys in blue?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Police have enough to do without chasing situations like this.

Lawyers letter outlining action then if no response, small clsins.

tjagain

Its fraud. Police time well spent.

Jamie
    Free Member

I wonder whatever happened to wool and his landy…

nealglover
    Free Member

Police have enough to do without chasing situations like this.

As TJ said, its fraud, why shouldn’t he get a visit from the police ?

Who knows how many others he has on the hook just like the OP.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

TS can prosecute and take offences under the Fraud Act.

smokey_jo

hoted – Member
    Rust Free

Haven’t looked at it personally but I would trust the owners answer if I asked him.

Tel no. is 01282 850500 for the garage and one of the boys will get Neil to call you. (He’s semi-retired so not there every day)

benz
    Free Member

OP,

Sounds remarkably similar. However I did eventually get monies transferred into my bank a/c – although some delay between advised date and actual date.

I found calling using another ‘phone from my mobile and home worked wonders…..

smokey_jo
    Scamper
    Free Member

I thought these import versions didn’t really suffer from rust? By the dealer rust proofing for you, he may mean squirting a bit of wax through holes in the sills under the kick plates and wheel arch. Thing is, the rust issue is more to do with drain holes getting bunged up on the sills and around the hood area. As they rust from the inside out, sometimes the damage is already done before any visual signs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Could be a good time to start leaving ‘reviews’ for him on Google.

hoted
    Free Member

I have sent another email, as the car Ive put a deposit down on has re-appeared on his website for sale? (gold 1.8 rs) Its still not finished. The boys in blue told me it was a civil matter. How would i leave a review on google? Please pm me with any instructions on how to do this.
    kind regards
    Hoted

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you looked at this?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/

Take the time to follow the instructions properly and send a physical letter as detailed on that page.

Let us know how it goes.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Police not interested or just reluctant? Fraud is a criminal offence surely?
    Trading standards?
    Mcol is fairly straightforward but quite time consuming as I found in my one and only experience. Awarded my full claim of £300 after about a year and then the defendant claimed poverty and it took 4 months more to be awarded £25pm for 12mths. It’s a ball ache but not complicated, helps that I’d prepared evidence for tribunal cases before though.

woffle
    Free Member

I thought these import versions didn’t really suffer from rust? By the dealer rust proofing for you, he may mean squirting a bit of wax through holes in the sills under the kick plates and wheel arch. Thing is, the rust issue is more to do with drain holes getting bunged up on the sills and around the hood area. As they rust from the inside out, sometimes the damage is already done before any visual signs.

MkII’s (and the 2.5) have a notorious issue with rust and chassis rails. To get it sorted means bumper, radiator removed and rails then cut out, cleanded and new panels welded back in. Doesn’t matter whether they’re an import or not…

Scamper
    Free Member

Ah, I presumed it was a mark 1.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP Trading Standards will be more interested than the Police. As above follow the small claims court procedure

mattyfez

Small claims is probably the only real option, but by all means contact trading standards as well.
    Police will probably fob you off with ‘civil dispute’ as if arguing fraud, there’s plenty of excuse to wriggle out, let down by supplier etc. They’d have to prove intent.

woffle
    Free Member

Ah, I presumed it was a mark 1.

TBH it’ll be rust that’ll kill most Mk1’s now too – there are few people doing rust repair ‘right’ and too many patching or botching and then having it disguised by a quick paint blow-over. It’s not cheap to have it done properly (see the MX-5 Restorer in Sussex for someone who knows what they’re doing) but if you get a car that’s been sorted then they’ll keep going forever (and parts are still silly cheap).

Trekster

C.A.B…

Drac

Welcome to the STW OP.

hoted
    Free Member

Still no reply, thanks for the link chakaping

hoted
    Free Member

Waiting a reply from trading standards

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy scotish border Mx5 dealer Strikes again.’ is closed to new replies.