• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dodgy ebay bid – Why? Am I being scammed or wound up?
  • Atomizer

Just sold my car on eBay last night, or thought I had.
    Turns out the bidder joined ebay yesterday, has zero feedback obviously and won’t respond to emails.
    I can’t get the bid cancelled until tomorrow so mucks other timing up for me.

Why would someone do this? Is it part of a potential scam? Sunday night drinking game? Or perhaps someone with a similar car getting rid of competition? (I’m getting desparate here!)

kayla1
    Free Member

Arseholes. The world is full of arseholes, especially those buying (cheap?) used cars on ebay or scumtree unfortunately. You are not alone.

“Will you take 2/5 of ur askin price 2day m8, cash?”

No.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There are settings when listing which you can enable so that people with zero feedback can’t bid. Also, other settings for non paying bidders and a blocked bidder list…

Atomizer

Will have to adjust my settings – been too trusting so far!
    Was definitely a cheap car, thought a low price would move it on quickly for me. Thwarted!

Cougar

Playing devil’s advocate, it could be genuine. “Hey dad, there’s a car here like the one you were looking for, you’ll need to set up an eBay account though.” Easy to assume everyone checks their email every five minutes.

TBH though, you’re probably right and it’s just an arsehole.

Sundayjumper

+1 on the “is an arsehole” answer.

Based on encountering several in the same situation. I’ll delete bids from people I don’t like the look of. Putting a “Buy it Now” option on a car is asking for trouble unfortunately.

I don’t know if you can still do it, but you used to be able to dig into people’s bidding history. If they’ve “won” several cars in quick succession but have no feedback, that’s a definite red flag.

funkmasterp

I used to think as per the first part of Cougar’s post. Now I’ve learnt that, yes, it’s more than likely an arsehat. It’s quite sad when this becomes your default setting when dealing with selling stuff though.

Dickyboy

Less than 24hrs and your getting your knickers in a twist – you do realise that some people aren’t connected 24/7 don’t you?

Atomizer

Not getting my knickers in a twist. Bidder is happy to stay up late bidding but not to respond to emails straight afterwards and into the next day.It’s pretty obvious to me this bid is going to come to nothing.
    +2 on the arseholes.

angeldust
    Free Member

A larger than average proportion of tight folk, looking to get by on the cheap irrespective of any inconvienience to others, seem to populate ebay :D. I don’t bother with ebay anymore. For every decent person, there are 10 more scum dogs :(!

Jamie
    Free Member

Less than 24hrs and your getting your knickers in a twist – you do realise that some people aren’t connected 24/7 don’t you?

I assume an apology will be forthcoming when it turns out buyer is an asshat?

Dickyboy

Sorry but why do i need to apologise, op is getting shirty about ebayer not being in contact within 24hrs of auction end which in my opinion is a bit precious as not everyone is connected 24hrs, whether the ebayer turns out to be an arsehole or not makes no difference to my opinion of the OP’s timescales

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hate say it but you’re living up to your username quite aptly.

chakaping
    Free Member

For every decent person, there are 10 more scum dogs :(!

Well it’s the other way round IME, but that doesn’t make it less annoying when you get dicked about like the OP (probably) has been.

PePPeR

Mines even worse, sold a car last week to an Audi breaker with 12000 feedback, thought excellent it’ll go for spares, he’ll be A Ok.

He then stuffs me up by telling me it’s too far to drive 300 mile round trip as he hasn’t realised which Southam it was when bidding.

No worries I’ll relist and I know second time round auctions go for less, but I need rid.

Blow me he wins it again at £60 less than last time! This time he says he’s definitely coming to pick it up.

Hmm

mattsccm
    Free Member

Dicky does have a point to some extent. I have made a bid then not got back to the seller. Not a nice thing to do but I wouldn’t worry about 24 hours as I may have other things to worry about. Once I have bought things my urgency may go completely.
    Of course the bidder may be a complete nob.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sorry but why do i need to apologise

Make your mind up :mrgreen:

Dickyboy

I thought they were mad, they thought i was mad, bugger it they out numbered me, fingers crossed all turns out well so I can return & collect my multiple apologies 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I guess the OP decided to emulate the winning bidder.

gobuchul
    Free Member

2 of the maddest people I have ever dealt were the winning and 2nd highest bidder on a cheap, spares or repair car. Absolutely barking.

Never again. I just bang my old cars in the auctions now.

xcgb
    Free Member

Sorry but why do i need to apologise
    Make your mind up

Genuine LOL 😀

scaredypants

Blow me he wins it again at £60 less than last time! This time he says he’s definitely coming to pick it up.

Hmm Hmmmm, indeed

I think I’d be having some fun there – but then I don’t need rid of a car

finbar
    Free Member

Mines even worse, sold a car last week to an Audi breaker with 12000 feedback, thought excellent it’ll go for spares, he’ll be A Ok.

He then stuffs me up by telling me it’s too far to drive 300 mile round trip as he hasn’t realised which Southam it was when bidding.

No worries I’ll relist and I know second time round auctions go for less, but I need rid.

Hmm

This is going to be a really unhelpful comment, but that’s why I always add arsehole bidders to my blocked list as soon as they’ve dicked me around.

xcgb
    Free Member

Atomizer

OP is back having had to wait for the complaints process to kick in.
    Outcome = arsehole bidder who apparently doesn’t have a registered ebay account though how he bid I don’t know.
    Apologies accepted even if I don’t know what for.

ratherbeintobago

As finbar says, I’d have blocked him.

Jamie
    Free Member

*polite cough*

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy ebay bid – Why? Am I being scammed or wound up?’ is closed to new replies.