• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • dodgy decorator
  • easygroove
    Free Member

i’m really disappointed with some work a decorator has just done in our house, whats the best course of action?

They quoted for sanding, primer and two coats which has been done, although some bits have been missed and quality is sloppy. It did say that a third coat may be reqd but was not quoted for.

The job definitely needs a third coat to get decent coverage and to improve quality, however, i’m loathed to pay any extra as it really is an average job – any suggestions on best approach w decorator?

Stoner
    Free Member

You withheld final payment until satisfactory completion of the works didnt you…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

what stoner says

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, no other option practically.

enfht
    Free Member

Average job or unsatisfactory, which is it? If average you have no recourse other than not using them again imo.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You pay someone to decorate?!

derek_starship
    Free Member

You pay someone to decorate?!

That’s why the job of painter & decorator exists you know.

I get paid to write and illustrate operation and maintenance manuals. Can you believe that somebody pays for such a service?

martinhutch

Sounds like the decorator has got it well covered. Not your wall, obviously, but his way of doing business.

If you complain about the finish, he just says, well, I did say a third coat might be required…

His way of working is probably geared to making a third coat an expensive necessity rather than an exception.

Unless I’m painting over very strong colours, I can’t think of many occasions in which I’ve needed a third coat.

hora
    Free Member

Did the Decorator sub-contract any work?

The lad we used, I’ve seen his work previously on our old house. Great quality. On my new house he brought some weird washed-up looking fella in to the do the landing/hallway whilst he did the living room. The difference in quality was shocking. I can paint better than the sub-contracted fella. Its difficult for anyone to argue when you point out sloppiness in decoration. Get a sizeable discount or offer him the option of redoing the work. I bet he grumbles and takes the former…

easygroove
    Free Member

+1 Derek starship. i advise govt on infrastructure design and delivery, the govt pays for it. Salary = money to pay for stuff…bills, petrol, bike bits…decorators (but not sh1t ones)

I havent paid anything yet

Martinhutch – it is over a dark brown varnish. 1 coat of zinzor primer, then two coats (but not all over or evenly) of satin enamel on the woodwork

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu havent paid – then get the chap round and point out the issues – he either sorts them or he doesn’t get paid. simple

alfabus
    Free Member

he either sorts them or he doesn’t get paid. simple

Can I just hijack this thread for a second to congratulate TJ for using the word ‘simple’, rather than the all too common advertising based bastardisation that is ‘simples’.

SEE PEOPLE, IT CAN BE DONE!!! YOU DON@T HAVE TO ALL BE **** ADVERTISING DRONE SHEEP!!!!!1111

and relax.

Dave

xcgb
    Free Member

Dave +1 drives me nuts
    Kudos to TJ he does exactly what it says on the tin

HermanShake
    Free Member

Missed/sloppy work is sub standard. First get him to address this and call it at 2 coats.

Then I would consider someone else to finish the job. Look on check-a-trade.

clubber
    Free Member

tell him to sort it as it’s not reasonable for a decorator to quote for a half finished job or pay what you think the work is worth and get someone else in to finish.

Simples.

xcgb
    Free Member

I expect the decorator will say Wassssuuuuppp………

jonba
    Free Member

It’s business, just talk to him, explain yourself and see what he says. Decorators often work on recommendations and word of mouth so if he is any good he will not want to leave you unhappy.

We had a guy do our decorating when we moved in. We asked him to touch bits up and make good, I would expect it and he was happy to do it. Very common amongst building work to snag the job both in progress and at the end. We discussed this at the start though, that I would want to check the quality of work, we also got a quote based on the “finished” job regardless of how many coats. I would be happy if he got it done in one coat or 4 as long as it met my expectations it was up to him to account for this in the quote.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

But he does type tho when it should be though. Not quite but nearly as annoying as simples.

jon1973
    Free Member

I expect the decorator will say Wassssuuuuppp………

That’s always a good was to fill awkward silences.

clubber
    Free Member

I suspect he might say

Oh, yes!

spacemonkey

I remember paying a neighbourly acquaintance (professional decorator/builder type) to line all the walls in my house about 6-7 years ago. He said it would take him and mate X days.

I turned up at 9am the first morning and they were sat in the van having not even started … eventually they came in, did some work inbetween a few breaks, then scarpered at 3pm.

I saw them the next morning and said “You’re not counting that as a full day are you?” “Yes,” he says. “What, about 4 hours work? Sorry, but I’m paying you to work full days, not half days. Therefore I’ll pay you half for yesterday and would appreciate it if you work full days from now on.”

Both of them then worked something like 8am-4:30pm and TBH did a brilliant job. I felt awkward having to confront the ‘boss bloke’ seeing as him and his wife were good friends of my then gf. But at the end of the day I expect the job done properly. End of.

seanodav
    Free Member

+1 jonba
    I quote for a finished job, you cant quote for something then change your mind because its not going your way, if the decorator was in any doubt he should have quoted for the third coat then maybe reduced the price if it wasnt needed. You cant lose a job via price if you always quote the lowest price it would take.
    But if you dont talk to him about it he wont know and then cant correct it to your standard. give him a chance to put it right 1st.

Edit: he really should have quoted for 3 coats on top of that primer though, very rarely will 2 coats cover on that.

xcgb
    Free Member

You do the math………….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘dodgy decorator’ is closed to new replies.