• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Doctors or Dentist or both?
  • LMT
    Free Member

Sorry to ask on here, but guessing there will be a doctor or dentist on here maybe? or someone who has had this?

Bit unsure what to do and who to see first doctor or dentist….

Basically I have a bad tooth, its odd as I have a spot rather than an abscess but its re-occurring on a tooth I burst it once a week on the gum and its like a green snot mess, I salt rinse to clean it out, I really should of had removed years ago but the dentist keeps trying to save it as I’m a bit daft at the dentist I can’t face it, very nervous and last time I had a tooth out I passed out when I saw the tooth on the table afterwards.

This I believe and it could be 1+1=4 the reason for my sinus issues as they “looking online” are linked, picked up a cold last week and smelly snot returned. My OH thinks its connected to the tooth and I should just man up and get it removed and see if my sinus clears up. Or should I have a trip to the docs and get something to clear the infection first? can the dentist give me something to clear it up before they remove the tooth.

Dentist or doctors first?

cdoc
    Free Member

A dentist will usually prescribe a weeks worth of antibiotics before the extraction if required. The abscess may be looking to find an escape path for the pus/infection so it can easily end up find its way into the nasal cavity or into the saliva glands causing further issues.

Get it pulled. The Dentist will sort the meds.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dentist

mans
    Free Member

Dentist. Extraction is the last resort, when all other possibilities have been explored. Dentist will prescribe appropriate antibiotics to clear up infection.

Sandwich

Dentist and be prepared for the most disgusting smell/taste ever as that tooth comes out!

DrP

Sounds like you need a dentist.

But of course, please turn up to your GP as “the dentist isn’t free, and they couldn’t see me today anyway”… 😉

DrP

the-muffin-man

“the dentist isn’t free, and they couldn’t see me today anyway”…

I’ve never quite understood this.

They’ll treat the rest of the body for free*, but nope – your mouth is a separate issue and that’ll cost a fortune to treat.

Why single the mouth out of NHS treatment!?

(*I know we all some of us pay our taxes)

JackHammer

What he said ^^^

Why is this the case?

paul21
    Free Member

passing time just feeds your fear.

better face them both on the same day. Just inform the each of your situation and what medications/procedures you are taking.

DrP

They’ll treat the rest of the body for free*, but nope – your mouth is a separate issue and that’ll cost a fortune to treat.

So you know that dentistry is a different art, right?
    And it used to be free at the point of service, just like general medicine (GP) services. But then it became generally privatised, with a subsidy charge for NHS patients. And emergency dental services fell by the wayside…

DrP

iolo
    Free Member

The rest of the body bits will soon follow this pricing method.

Cougar

I had similar for ages. It didn’t hurt so I ignored it for like a couple of years. It’d swell up every couple of months, I’d squeeze it like squeezing a spot to empty it, and it’d go away again. Eventually went to the dentist, was given a course of antibiotics as cdoc said, then had the joys of a root canal to drain it.

The root canal wasn’t the horror story I was expecting. The tooth nerve is dead (I broke it years ago and the nerve was killed as part of the treatment) so it didn’t hurt at all. The worst bit was when he ‘struck oil’ so to speak, the smell of the newly exposed abscess was like nothing I’ve ever known. IN MY MOUTH! *Shudders* revolting.

It’s been fine since. Should’ve done it a lot sooner really.

LMT
    Free Member

More the fact it’s a sinus issue as well and I currently have medication for this, but last week it’s massively got worse I’m not fussed about paying for the dentist just want the root cause sorted 🙂

DrP

The rest of the body bits will soon follow this pricing method.

Except the goolies. They’ll always be ‘on the house’ so to speak…

DrP

LMT
    Free Member

Went to the dentist, had an X-ray and he froze the tooth turns out it’s dead no sensation, and no infection in the tooth so next battle try and get a doctors appointment, possibly walk in centre.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Doctors or Dentist or both?’ is closed to new replies.