Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do you worry abt your young kids being introduced to 'meanness' in films/tv
  • mrsgrips
    Free Member

Lilgrips, nearly 2, likes watching Monsters Inc. and I don’t have a problem with most of the movie as it resolves itself quite nicely and she seems unaffected by the baddies and the parts which make her nervous she comes over and seeks reassurance.
    The short ‘For the Birds,’ on the other hand, I worry abt a little. (As a quick reminder: the little birds on a power line are a bit sassy abt the big bird that comes along…in the end they end up embarrassed because all their feathers come off) I feel strange abt her watching it because it shows how people often pick on others/bully those who are different from themselves (it’s more sophisticated badness in my opinion than the baddies in the actual film).
    Is it silly?
    Would you just talk abt it/make comments to help her understand? Or just let it go to sit in her brain and when she comes across it later in life deal with it?
    I needn’t (obviously) let her watch it, tho she does ask often after the initial film to watch ‘Burds.’

wwaswas

Is it silly?

Probably, compared with what kids less than 3 years old do to each other during the course of any 20 minute ‘play’ session anything you’ll get in Pixar is tame.

donks
    Free Member

Just be thankful you dont have older children as well then as our 2 year old ends up watching all sorts, primeval is an example of this. But he does love Monster Inc. Our kids always found the more real programs scary or upsetting than anything age unsuitable that was pure fantasy.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Well, I’d disagree abt kids under 3 use the same sort of techniques that the birds use, they don’t make fun of others or talk abt them behind their backs; they’re rather physical instead, taking toys, pushing, hitting.

wwaswas

it’s while since I watched it – I just remembered the foot pecking at the end.

I do think you’re being over anxious – it does, as you say, show the nasty creatures getting their come-uppance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Do you worry abt your young kids being introduced to 'meanness' in films/tv’ is closed to new replies.