Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Do you use as much of your available travel front and rear?
  • convert

Just an observation rather than a cry for help really & interested to know what others find.

I have a Turner DW 5 spot and tend to setup my travel as per instructions – 17mm of sag on the rear shock (Dave Turner's instructions and most seem to do the same) and about 41-42mm of sag on my 150mm Revelations – that's somewhere between the traditional 25% sag for XC riding and 33% sag for more "all mountain" riding, which is about how/what I ride. I have noticed however that I always seem to come back after a ride around my local loop with the O rings at the bottom or off the piston on the rear but only 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way up the stanchions on the forks.

I know DW suspension does seem to eat up the middle proportion of its stroke travel quite easily due to the nature of the design which might account for the difference a bit but I suspect I probably ride too far off the back of the bike on the tricky stuff and am unweighting the front wheel too much which might explain why I don't have much confidence with the front wheel washing out (which means I naturally ride even further back away from the oncoming accident – viscous circle).

nuke

I know DW suspension does seem to eat up the middle proportion of its travel quite easily which might account for the difference

Personally I think this explains a large part of the difference you're experiencing. I have a new Flux and the ride is very plush but I was surprised how it so easily goes through its mid travel. Upped the shock pressure and the ride just didn't feel as good.

U31
    Free Member

I thought i was overbiked for how i ride these days with the Patriot, but after the last few times of using the entire 7 inch and bottoming out hard, coming out of the doubles on the black at lee quarry, i might need to reconsider…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I quite often use all my travel on all my bikes, saying that the most I have on offer is 130mm and the least is 100mm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Do you use as much of your available travel front and rear?’ is closed to new replies.