Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • do you use a torque wrench…..
  • iainc

was pondering this with a carbon bike and bits on the way – just ordered the Giant one, thanks

eshershore
    Free Member

didn’t use one for years, and relied on “experience” as many wrenches know, you get a “feel” for how tight things should be

started using them religiously in a new company (as a mechanic) and was shocked how many bolts were actually overtightened despite my “experience”

if you actually install a component like a Thomson X4 stem by hand with Park multi-tool or P-handle hex wrench, and then try checking it with a torque wrench, it can be quite revealing…

many of the bikes we see into our workshop have had internet purchased components installed at home “by hand” and the majority are overtightened with for example, stretched clamps on the stem faceplates, seatclamps and Shimano HT2 crankarm pinch bolts

always better to be tighter than looser, but we use torque wrenches for every bolt / lockring we fasten, and I purchased a “Pro” (madison) torque wrench for home use as I am working on Thomson, Easton, etc. at home on my own bikes

Jamesy
    Free Member

My lbs once told me there for people who don’t know what there doing when i purchased my new bike. 3 rides later my crank arm fell off…

eshershore
    Free Member

@Jamesy

in my experience, LBS (or any bike shop) that won’t insist on use of torque wrenches in their workshops don’t know what they are doing!!

a previous employer I worked for as a mechanic, would not pay for the torque wrenches that I repeatedly asked for, or their maintenance (re-calibration), which told me a lot about their attitude to both their mechanics and their customers

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘do you use a torque wrench…..’ is closed to new replies.