Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Do you throw-up on tough rides?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I was wondering how often, if at all, and under what circumstances do you throw up on rides, be they training or endurance or just leisure rides?

(dodgy currys not withstanding!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No. Never even been close.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Don't often do the full chunder, but have had the occasional salty mouthful after a tough climb.
    Did puke in a spin class though 😳

jimster
    Free Member

Nope, just get bad wind and belch / f*rt alot.

xc-steve
    Free Member

No put have passed out once… was very ill and shouldn't have gone for a 'quick spin'!

grumm
    Free Member

The guy I went out to do the Mega with was on the qualifying section where there is a short sharp climb – a french family with young kids were cheering him on: 'allez, allez!' etc

At which point he puked up from the effort, all over the chin guard on his full face helmet. They looked away in horror. 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Thought I was going to a couple of times after races.

Shows you're trying, eh?

stew1982
    Free Member

I used to know guaranteed I'd throw-up on my first pre-season training session, when play rugby at a decent level. Did it every year since I could remember. But that was the only time it would happen.

In terms of MTB – if your way beyond your fitness level and pushing yourself very hard then it wouldn't be out of the norm, on the "very" odd occasion – if it's often and your very fit, then maybe you are truly over doing it!

Do you?

dmiller
    Free Member

I have done a few times on the commute if I have had a beer and curry the night before.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Never. Not even close. Am I not trying hard enough?

lowey

Never thrown up but bonked so badly that I passed out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

never

stumpy01

I've felt a bit queasy during race, but that's normally as my stomach doesn't cope too well with energy stuff.
    I also struggle when cramming down food during 24hr events, just after riding.

Bloke I used to run with would often bloik within the first 500 metres of a X-Country & then go onto win – I think with him it was nerves prior to the start.

cp

never thrown up, but cough like crazy sometimes which feels like i'm gonna chuck!

cp

stumpy01 – have you tried the Torq powders? My stomach hates most, but gets on fine with Torq.

jules.b
    Free Member

I'ver never thrown up in training, but I have from time to time after races. I try and wait till after the finish – it is maddening to lose all of the places you gained and then some by trying too hard.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Only if I have a gel pack before ride. Our entire team learnt this early on at 24s and re-named them puke-packs. Oddly no puking if you use them on ride, only before.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I did once – I was about 13yo! Since then I've only been close a couple of times… but either I don't push myself hard enough or I'm eating better (don't think it's fitness, cos I was very cycling fit at that age!)

Ti29er
    Free Member

I get the belches and I guess it's an indication I'm making an extra effort (often at about 35 mins) and occasionally some bile, maybe 1x a year.

tinsy
    Free Member

I did barf on a training ride, but it was almost all down to stupidity of doing a fast ride with a hangover… I do the uncontrolable coughing thing at the finish line if I have really gone for it…

AndyP
    Free Member

occasionally, yes. Very hard training sessions, and hillclimbs. You've not put in a good hillclimb unless you topple over the moment your wheel crossed the finish line, and you vomit on the timekeeper's shoes.

DezB
    Free Member

how often, if at all, and under what circumstances do you throw up on rides

Once: when a big hairy fly got lodged in my throat. Makes me gag to think of it even now!

Ti29er
    Free Member

That's because the time keeper at some of these events is a blo££dy smoker!
    Yuk. Enough to make anyone throw.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Coughed up a baked bean in a TT once.

Hard training rides/races – no.

Hill reps – Just felt nauseas for a bit after, wasn't actually sick though

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Get nauseous sometimes but stop/slow and recover before I get that far. My problems usually occur when sugar levels get too low.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Used to have the occassional hurl after a particulalry hard run back in my DH yoof.

Not happened for years until I last year when I decided to race my colleague/neighbour home from work – me on SS hack bike, him in car. I won, but it was a chunderous victory.

stumpy01

cp – Torq is what I use now and it's loads better. Last time it happened I had Torq drink at the prescribed concentration plus an energy gel, which I think screwed me up.
    It was a hot day too and stupidly I had no plain water in the pit area to swap over to. Lesson learnt.

Keva
    Free Member

puke up from riding a bike ? no chance. I have puked up from sprinting up hill and nearly puked once after beating an army PTI 12 years my junior at 20meter shuttle runs.

Kev

carlosg
    Free Member

never puked riding mtb but years ago when I was lighter/fitter/younger and did triathlons I puked on a few cycle sections mainly after climbing big hills at max exertion.

Taz

When I start training hard on hill reps I will definitely get to gagging point most sessions and occasionally full chunder.

Once during a race a few years ago at the top of a big climb on the last lap.

'normal' riding I never reach that point.

Taff
    Free Member

not a full yack but I have done the empty stomack kind of yack. Normaly when pushing the limits up a hill… or when doing the Dyfi Enduro

retro83
    Free Member

jackthedog – Member
    I won, but it was a chunderous victory.

😆

Crell
    Free Member

Once, years ago at the end of a XC race. Got off the bike & started eating a Banana which didn't want to stay down.

If you're throwing up on a normal ride you need to slow down!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I barfed in my full face in a race at whistler once, and have done it on many training rides. Everytime it was due to the following recipe:

Step 1. Eat a hugh meal whilst on the vino
    Step 2. Drink booze for further 8 hours or more (the longer the better)
    Step 3. Sleep for 3 hours in a comma
    Step 4. Eat left over curry, kebab or choclate and drink litres of water just before riding/racing
    Step 5. Push ones self to the your physical limit (hit your max heart rate and keep it there within minutes of finsihing the drink) with no warm up
    Step 6. Barf your guts up
    Step 7. Feel rubbish for the rest of your ride
    Step 8. Eat a hugh meal
    Step 9. Get back on the booze to celerbrate

It has a 70% hit rating on the barf. You can increase the rate by playing with food and alcohol combinations. My buddy has a 100% hit rate these days, it took him years to perfect. It also helps if its really hot.

hels
    Free Member

I threw up a bit on my laps at 10 Under The Ben a few years ago. Swallowed it back down I needed the calories, and had my nails reputation to maintain.

One of the Youth guys in our race team is prone to puking on the start line from nerves. I will pass on the tip about the gels that might help him.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Swallowed it back down I needed the calories

is a sentence that actually repulsed me.

zaskar
    Free Member

No but needed a good dump after running 15 miles. Luckily in a gym…

Don't eat heavy meals on tough rides but smaller stuff or even energy gels.

Stress Hormones can do it but take a while to get used to -week or 2.

Avoid caffiene-smooth muscle stimulated.

Listen to your body.

Some supplement will make you throw up.

Maybe it was just a tough ride.

hora
    Free Member

When I was younger I used to train very hard in the gym and yes did throw up 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

Once only, at the end of my first TT.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Do you throw-up on tough rides?’ is closed to new replies.