Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Do you think this photo is legit ? Skiing photo
  • TheDTs
    Free Member

Someone skiing a steep pitch wouldn’t hold an uphill pole like that.
    That pole would be the downhill pole after the next turn so you would want it at full length for the next pole plant and a bit of security as soon as you have put the turn in.

If the person is side slipping then it makes more sense to hold the pole like that.
    Or if the skier has just staked it and is holding the pole in the middle to spread the weight in deep snow so they can get back on their feet.
    Either way, the skier is getting down.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

With the angle corrected by more recent posters like gravity slave, that looks more legit. Leg position and angulation looks reasonable. Not that steep.
    Those look more like dynafit touring bindings than telemark, but really not enough detail.
    And when I ski 45 degrees or steeper I have been known to hold poles like that when stationary or traversing. Not when turning though. Not the poles I’d use for skiing interesting stuff either. Small baskets, not adjustable.
    Those criticising should remember that this is a single shot of a dynamic situation
    The original image in the OP is very clearly wrong though. Poor form of the guy in the photo to let it be posted.

njee20
    Free Member

Poor form of the guy in the photo to let it be posted

Reeeeeeeally? What do you think would be an appropriate punishment for such an heinous crime?! 🙄

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

easy – wear blades for a week…

roll your eyes all you want but I’d be totally embarassed to have such an obviously manipulated shot posted,

Edukator
    Free Member

I, like many local ski tourers use long fixed X-C poles, 145 with soft snow baskets in my case. They’re much better for uphill and skating along the flat but obviously and bit long downhill. I put up with it but Madame holds them about 20cm from the top skiing down with the loops flapping or her thumbs in them. Some touring sticks have a long padded section and an extra loop.

Long sticks: punting back through the resort on the way home.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezMTy7195io[/video]

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Do you think this photo is legit ? Skiing photo’ is closed to new replies.