Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do you think my iTunes account has been hacked?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just got this alarming email:

Your Apple ID was used to buy a iOS App “TomTom Europe” from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with your Apple ID.

Order Number: 151285376852

Order total: 69.99 GBP

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.

If you have not authorize this charge, log in as soon as possible to cancel the payment!

When the payment will be canceled you will get a full refund.

Apple Store Europe

I think I might have to click the link and enter my bank details to get a refund, do you agree?

😉

bigblackshed

Stinks of scam.

To see if “you have” bought the app, open iTunes and then purchases. It should be the cloud ready for download.

Don’t use the link in the email, use your iTunes app on your phone, pad or whatever.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t think I have ever bought anything through iTunes and don’t think it is linked to any bank accounts or credit cards so I don’t think I am at too much risk.

Come to think of it, unless iTunes and App Store are the same thing, I don’t think I have every even connected to iTunes.

[EDIT]
    Just started iTunes and judging by all the set up questions it was asking, I have never launched it before. The only thing showing as purchased is a U2 album

wwaswas

Your Apple ID was used to buy a iOS App “TomTom Europe”

The only thing showing as purchased is a U2 album

Maybe they want to go where the streets have no name?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Could explain why the Still haven’t found what their looking for

nemesis
    Free Member

IIRC iTunes and the Appstore use the same account.

It sounds like a phishing link though – check the email header as that may show that it’s not from where they’re claiming.

zilog6128

It’s definitely a scam – I got one of these the other day. Just ignore. It’s designed to panic you into doing something silly; the real Apple never send out emails like that.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup definitely a scam

Hover over the sender’s email and you’ll see it’s noreply@btinternet.com

njee20
    Free Member

How’s it a phishing scam if it’s asking you to log in and check, rather than ‘sign in via this link’?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

OP states that a link was provided.

McHamish
    Free Member

I think Apple send a similar mail when you link a new device to an iTunes account, and purchase something with it.

If it has specifically directed you to a link then it could be a phishing attempt. If it’s fraudulent, they wouldn’t make it difficult to take them up on the offer.

allthepies
    Free Member

When the payment will be canceled you will get a full refund.

Grammar == scam.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Grammar == scam.

I remember hearing that scammers deliberately put bad grammar and spelling in their emails so normal people ignore them and only the dumb respond and it is the dumb people who are most likely to be scam-able

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do you think my iTunes account has been hacked?’ is closed to new replies.