Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Do you rate your rides?
  • spacemonkey

I’ve rated every session (including XC runs and even gym sessions) for about 10 years. Rating are out of 10 for “what I put in” and “what I get out”.

What I put in: Generally takes into account any gnarly/rad stuff I attempt (yeah right) + weather conditions (more points for sh1tty weather) + how hard I work based on what I want from the session. Tis related to current fitness level too. So not every session has to be full on as sometimes a longer/slower one is required. Rating is sometimes swayed by how much effort goes into exploring new trails etc.

What I get out: Mainly a combination of fitness gain + amount of fun + the social side.

Rating are always out of 10 for both.

Anyone else do something similar or is it just me?

njee20
    Free Member

When I was training seriously I did, not since. My coach had a template which included three things to rate out of 5, forget what they were!

Drac

God no.

wwaswas

was one of them memory?

spacemonkey

I can see why doing it as a part of a training regime might be handy.

But doing it for any ride/run also helps reflect on what happened, ie what was good or not so good about it. And it just stays in my head for that day – I’m not weird enough to write them down!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I just try and remember whether I enjoyed a ride or not.

Luckily my memory is quite poor so after a few years I have a whole load of “new” rides to try (again) 🙂

jam-bo

i don’t need to. STRAVA tells me how awesome/shite i was.

rocketman
    Free Member

I try to make sure it’s going to be a 10 before I start off then only the unexpected can bring it down

e.g. Saturday 14 miles of fireroad because matey was too injured to carry on 😕

njee20
    Free Member

was one of them memory?

Hopefully not…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Spreadsheet, gnar graphs and shred charts

BillOddie

Yes, I measure, kms, time, smiles and how many drams from the hipflask i take.

grum
    Free Member

I think that kind of analysis would completely kill the fun for me. Makes it sound like evaluating a work project.

digga
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    God no

grum – Member
    I think that kind of analysis would completely kill the fun for me.

^Wot they said.

I don’t strava, don’t GPS (other than very rarely specifically to ‘track’ a new trail/route) don’t count, don’t push the ‘radness’ and, since adopting this approach, have never enjoyed riding more.

Rating rides is like keeping ‘score’ while having sex IMHO. Tricky to do objectively and likely to detract from the pleasure.

spacemonkey

Bloody hell, it’s not about analysing every moment. Nor do I scribble down a post-ride report. It takes literally 10 secs to get a feel for what is was like and that’s it. I suppose there’s an element of validation in the reflection, e.g “Bloody good ride today … Hooked up with X … Found that cheeky trail we couldn’t find last time … Put in a good shift despite legs feeling heavy from yesterday … 40 miles in 3 hours … 8.5/10 in and 9/10 out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I used to when I 1st got a computer in 1999, mainly to learn how to actually input stuff on a spreadsheet/database thingy.
    Included date, where the ride started & description of the route, mileage, who went, weather, marks out of 10 for future reference.
    Haven’t done it since that computer went.

wl
    Free Member

WTF? Bike Ride Top Trumps, anyone?

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

I rate trails.

D0NK

STRAVA tells me how awesome/shite i was.

always the latter for me 🙄

I think that kind of analysis would completely kill the fun for me. Makes it sound like evaluating a work project.

Just a mark out of ten might not be enough but noting rides may be an idea. I used to keep a ride diary and write about my rides on a blog. Since getting strava I haven’t bothered. I have to say, every now and again reading about old rides (especially in deep midwinter) was pretty cool. The 250 character comment on strava doesn’t really cut it. Think I might have to start blogging again.

Andy-R

I don’t “rate” my rides but what I do like to try and do is store away some special little bit from every ride – such as cleaning a little technical section or climb or discovering a particularly nice new section of singletrack, anything like that really.
    There’ll always be parts of every ride where I don’t feel that I’ve ridden as well as I could have/should have but as long as I have a few nice little moments to look back on I’m usually happy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Do you rate your rides?’ is closed to new replies.