• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LS.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do you need BCF Licence & club membership to race 'cross?
  • mos

I’m thinking of having a go at my local cross series over the winter, but from what i’ve gleaned from the web, i need to have a BCF licence & be a member of a club. Is this right? I come from the mtb world where all you need to do is pay a race fee to the organiser & possible a day fee to the BCF. Certainly no need to be a member of club, which i have never bothered with previously.
    All seems a bit ‘structured’ to me.

crazy-legs

No need to be a member of a club.
    No need for a licence either unless you’re doing National level stuff. I think it’s just a £3 surcharge on top of the entry fee for non-BC members.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross/article/20131213-Get-in-cyclo-cross-0

john_l
    Free Member

where are you based? For the London/Sussex League you can pay a £5 registration fee that gets you your number & transponder for the season & then pay the “normal” entry fee for each race – no licence or membership required.

Or do as CL says & pay a £3 surcharge on the day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is this right?

Quite probably if that’s what they say, their game their rules.

aP
    Free Member

If you get BC Race membership, then you won’t need to pay the day license fee. Apart from that just turn up and give it a go. London League will require either BC membership or a day license – I’m Commissairing 2 of this years races and am a former race promoter….

john_l
    Free Member

which ones are you comming at aP?

njee20
    Free Member

Is this right?

Quite probably if that’s what they say, their game their rules.[/quote]

I think he meant had he understood, rather than was it morally ‘right’. The answer to the former was indeed no, so it’s a moot point!

bigbeard
    Free Member

In the Yorkshire series you can also do the novice races without the £3 surcharge.

Yorkshire Series Rider Info

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think he meant had he understood, rather than was it morally ‘right’. The answer to the former was indeed no, so it’s a moot point!

that was actualy what I intended, not some morralistic interpretation of the rulebook. Assuming if the entryform said £3 surcharge for non bc members the OP would have seen that and not asked the question.

In future ill stick to yes and

?

oldgit
    Free Member

As above, I’m not BC, but I race cross every year. I enter online and pay £3 per race surcharge.

Only downside? I finished 6th overall in my age group but some weeks I was missed off the grid. I think that was possibly down to not been on the BC radar…aP ?

dobo
    Free Member

the basic licence isnt much and if you do the series works out cheaper to get one, mine up for renewl soon…cant recal costs.

not sure on my next point though. do you get points if you aint got a licence?

cp

20 quid gets you a bc membership with preliminary race licence which means you don’t have to pay the day fee.

40 quid gets you liability insurance as well as the above.

Both options get you 10 % off in Halfords 😉

LS
    Free Member

Only downside? I finished 6th overall in my age group but some weeks I was missed off the grid. I think that was possibly down to not been on the BC radar…aP ?

You might get league points with no licence but you don’t get any kind of national ranking points without at least a provisional licence – day licence gets you nowt. So depending on how the races are gridded, that might be your answer (Commissaire and league admin here).

If you’re a memebr of a Go-Ride club they often have the first year’s Bronze membership of BC available for free.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do you need BCF Licence & club membership to race 'cross?’ is closed to new replies.