Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you need a license to fire a cannon?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just black powder at a safe distance and pointing away from everything and everyone.

matt_outandabout

One way to find out…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a shotgun. You’re limited on bore size, 2″ I believe.

You’ll need to lock it in a gun cabinet when not in use. A big one 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Not my cannon. The guy who owns said cannon (swivel gun) has all of the H&S side regarding black powder and safe distances. I’m more concerened about letting the thing off in a public place. I have an entertainments license to cover a brass band. Will that do?

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Can’t you just use an airbomb repeater?

Harry_the_Spider

I could. But I know someone who knows someone with a cannon. 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

Will the owner be there?

Being in possession of a firearm in public without a licence sounds like a non-starter.

I’d have a look/ask on a re-enactment forum. Standard stuff for them.

trout
    Free Member

Need more than one for the 1812 😀

Harry_the_Spider

The owner will be there to fire it. Nobody else will be inside the “safe distance”.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Has somebody else gone from St. Paul’s?

mattsccm
    Free Member

It will have all sorts of restrictions and rules.
    It isn’t a shotgun which in theory you could use with supervision. However the owner will know all the rules. If they don’t I would be rather unhappy about their reliability etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It isn’t a shotgun which in theory you could use with supervision.

It is. That’s the only way you can licence a cannon. But there would appear to be some common sense about where they can be used with blanks.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know someone who owns a cannon and has been known to fire it at re-enactment events. I could ask him but he’s a busy guy so only if it’s a serious request and the owner of it can’t answer.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks. I’m not concerend about the license for the cannon, I’m more concerend about the implications for me as organiser of the event. If this guy has all of his documents/insurance/RA in place I will contact the local authority and no doubt have to fill in some more forms.

[edit]The cannon and owner have all of the nesessary paperwork. I just need to check with the Local Authority[/edit]

BOOM!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ownership:

COER certificate for the black powder.
    Shotgun Certificate for the cannon.

So, to own it and shoot it, no problem, anywhere you like as long as you have permission of the landowner and do not put anyone in danger. no permission needed from the council, no paperwork… thats why the owner has a certificate.

However, just to fire it, no licence needed – Firearms Act 1968. Section 11.5: A person may without holding a shotgun certificate borrow a shotgun from the occupier (i.e. a Tenant Farmer) of private premises and use it on those premises in the occupier’s presence.

5thElefant
    Free Member

However, just to fire it, no licence needed – Firearms Act 1968. Section 11.5: A person may without holding a shotgun certificate borrow a shotgun from the occupier (i.e. a Tenant Farmer) of private premises and use it on those premises in the occupier’s presence.

Yeah, that’s the problem. You can use a shotgun on the shotgun owners land. That’s different to a public place (whether you’re the licence holder or not).

cbike
    Free Member

You could subsitute a bomb tank and a large maroon or two and a pyro flash availble from any theatre hire company. They can supply staff if you dont feel confident. But anyone responsible over 16 can set up and fire these in relative safety. And you shouldn’t have any major licensing issues. Its electronically fired, reliable and no more difficult than wiring a domestic speaker system. In fact you may recognise the connectors!

You will get pretty much the same noise. The MOD used to come in and use stuff like this for demos and excercises so if its good enough for them…

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

(edited, mixing myself up 🙂 )

If you’re organising an event on the land, then you’re the occupier (like a tenant would be) therefore can give permission.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If the owner with all the correct certs is firing it, I wouldn’t worry about it. He’s just going to be firing a blank, so no dif to a firework IMO, and you can tell that to the judge. 🙂

Cougar

I think you need to be a Bishop.

tthew

Just black powder at a safe distance

Booo. Get a cannon ball for it!

pointing away from everything and everyone

and fire it across the swampy field into the MTFU climb.

That’d be ace!

Harry_the_Spider

and fire it across the swampy field into the MTFU climb.

That’s where it will be as we don’t use the field on lap 1. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Real bombholes – fantastic 🙂

D0NK

You could subsitute a bomb tank and a large maroon

then he wouldn’t be firing a cannon he’d just be making a loud noise which is not big or clever.

I demand a cannon!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I once dropped a cannon on my shins during a drunken weight lifting competition, and split me head on a wall on the way down, not the most pleasant year of my life learning to walk without a limp or pain.

terrahawk
    Free Member

You could subsitute a bomb tank and a large maroon

why would we do that when there’s a bloke with a cannon?

tthew

By the way, ths is going to go in my file of best STW discussion titles, along with that one from the other year,

Is it possible to buy a road legal hovercraft?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you need a license to fire a cannon?’ is closed to new replies.