Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you need a helment when bimbly across the New Forest
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well after today’s tumble I would say YES.

The front wheel washed out on sand at the bottom of a slight hill. Spat me over the bars and flicked the bike in the air so the rear quick release hit my head just above my ear.

Big dent in the hard helmet crust and total fracture of the thick padded bit. Quite sobering to think what would have happened without the helmet as I was on my own and miles from anywhere.

On the bright side, I get a new helmet so people might stop laughing at photos of me with the helmet perched on top of my huge head.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That’ll buff out. Just bung some Araldite on it, be good for a few years yet.

You need a helmet just going to get a paper.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Dear god, here we go again. 🙂

It is hard to know what would have happened had you not been wearing the helmet. I guess you would have had a slightly bruised head, but of course there is a possibility that the impact would have crushed your skull like a plover’s egg being hit by a Japanese bullet train sending showers of liquified brain and bright yellow pus spattering over some innocent children and an endangered panda, which would have been so traumatised by having to lick your brain out of its own nose that it mis-carried resulting in the extinction of all New Forest pandas. So, on balance I reckon it was a good thing that you had your appallingly style-less helmet perched on top of your bizarrely shaped head.

🙂

longweight
    Free Member

I never ride without a helmet no matter how far I am going. It makes me quite angry to see parents riding along with their kids and none of them are wearing helmets! It doesn’t matter how good you are on a bike there is always a chance you will come off and most things you will hit are hard!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sad to see such an old piece of kit die. Were you waiting for it to come back into fashion?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How THE HELL did you crash there, FFS?

Oh.

Hang on a minute, WCA can crash anywhere, right?
    😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

WOW – what a way to go almost beaten to death by your own Ti singlespeed, are you an organ donor? you should have stayed at home to look after the dog 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

Chuckles at crispy.

Anyone can fall off anywhere. Even going bimbly can be fraught with peril. And as we know, one fall and that’s game over unless you’re wearing a helmet. You are getting a fullface for the Alps, right? And a back-plate?

😉

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Where abouts in the forest is that?
    Having had some thing of a smillar size hit my ear many years ago that cut through the cartalige i would also want a helmet between my head and the QR.

Keva
    Free Member

yeah best wear a crash hat. I wasn’t wearing one a while ago when I nipped out from work to get a sarnie and a car reversed into me sending me flying head first into the pavement. Got blood on my beanie hat I did. Stoopid driver.

Kev

dobo
    Free Member

could be anywhere in the forest but it looks like its near ogdens going off piste round an enclosure hmm 🙂

glad the helmet did its job, that sandy stuff can make you wash out badly

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You are getting a fullface for the Alps, right? And a back-plate?

As long as he’s not riding directly in front of or behind me (i.e. crashing distance) I don’t care…..
    😉

avdave2

I bought my first mountain bike on the morning of September 3rd 1986. I bought my first helmet on the afternoon of September 3rd 1986 after my first ride off road on it. Coming down a rough flinty track I noticed that my hands were no longer on the bars having been bounced off and in that moment decided that a helmet might be a sound investment. and if you think WCA’s helmet is deeply unfashionable you should have seen that Vetta.

Well 23 years later I haven’t actually hit my head when falling off but I think I’ll stick with the helmet just in case.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

PP – you are always within crashing distance of me.

The crash was near to Avon Tyrrell which is the site of a particular mountain bike event in the summer …

and what makes the helmet unfashionable?!? It looked lovely in 2004.

DezB
    Free Member

Surely a helmet over 5 years old wouldn’t have saved anything, you might as well have been wearing kev’s beanie.
    (I don’t necessarily agree with what I’ve typed there, which is kinda weird)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DezB – Trust me, it did save something – ME. It may have been destroyed in the process where as a newer one would have shown less damage but believe me I was saved.

It was one of those slow motion crashed where you see the ground coming towards you, hear the ouefff as the air is pushed from you lungs on impact and then hear crunch as the bike smashes down on top of you. I laid still for a couple of minutes trying to feel if there was any bleeding. I really couldn’t believe I got away with a smashed helmet and a couple of cuts.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can try out some of those new healing remidies on your new cuts!

Result!!!

😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

PP – well remembered. Now I just need to superglue a dog to my ankle while rubbing honey into my groin!

avdave2

DezB I think another thread recently concluded that MET say their helmets are good for 8 years providing they don’t suffer impact or excessive uv exposure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – well remembered. Now I just need to superglue a dog to my ankle while rubbing honey into my groin!

LOL!

Love it….

uplink
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned rotational forces yet?

Where’s TJ when you need him?

Actually where is he? – has he taken the milk in OK? – is there a pile of mail behind his front door?

tomzo
    Free Member

Or the QR may have missed your head,as the helemt looks quite thick..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

tomzo – The bike landed squarely on top of me, it was only my skull (and the helmet) that stopped it hitting the ground.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you need a helment when bimbly

I think you should go and get your head scanned anyway mate, you’re not making a lot of sense there.

😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Great! I have just spotted this lovely swelling above my ankle which is beginning to get painful.

I bet it is going to be a great weekend for riding too!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Good job it wasn’t half way down that hill near Westbury on Monday, would have broken it in half.

scaredypants

I thought I’d met WCA a couple of times, and been for a bike ride with him once.
    Thing is, he didn’t fall off at all in about 90 minutes (I did – got pulled backwards off the bike when my backpack caught up in a low branch). We also cleared a bit of trail and still nobody was injured, even trivially.

WHO THE HELL WAS IT ??

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you need a helment when bimbly across the New Forest’ is closed to new replies.