• This topic has 40 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Do you match up?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Bars, stem and seat post ? Or is it just me that can’t stand a mismatching cockpit?

scotroutes

My aren’t always even the same colour.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gnarmac bike – yes. All stock from Spesh. Thinking of pimping the bars soon, though.
    Off road – no. Until RockShox start making bars and stems, I can’t see it happening!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Couldnt give two hoots,

Bet all the body panels on your car match n everything.

Bregante

Not until Rockshox start making bars and stems.

Edit. Beaten to it!

stevied
    Free Member

Nope, all bits are bought on their own merit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why those three items?

smatkins1
    Free Member

Bar and stem yes (Thomson). I would have a matching post if dropper posts didn’t make things more complicated.

I have a thing about matching certain parts due to country of origin (to a degree when possible). American frame has to have an american headset (Chris King) and american bar and stem is a bonus. If I had a Canadian frame I’d be inclined to stick some Chromag stuff on it. Biritish frame I’d have to be a hope headset and stem. All a bit nuts really.

I also like to see matching brand of forks and shock. The same goes for tyres and rims.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

On my road bikes, yes.
    Actually, all the others have Thomson Stems and seatposts.. Just different bars.. Woodchippers, Cowbells, and Renthals..

tang
    Free Member

On my crosser bars, stem, seat post, fork, rims and skewers! Plus headset and hubs..

everyone
    Free Member

Currently full Ritchey on my xc bike but I’m toying with the idea of changing my bars to Mt Zoom.

Road bike is Boardman stem and seatpost, 3t bars. Will probably change to full 3t at some point purely because I’m a tart.

yunki
    Free Member

uwotmate?

matther01
    Free Member

Nope – colour, performance v weight v cost – brand is irrelevant for me

nickjb
    Free Member

Wouldn’t even cross my mind that they need to match brands. I can sort of see you might prefer a particular colour but even that doesn’t bother me. Whatever works and whatever is on sale.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Nope. Priorities here are cost, weight, feel and strength, not in that order just a nice balance of all. Colour sort of slots in afterwards. I have ended up with a full Bearclaw cockpit on the Covert though, got the bars a couple years ago and when I was looking for a short stem the Spank one happened to be the best combination of the above. Doesn’t really match though, bars are tatty and stem is sparkly!

TheFlyingOx

Nope.
    Spank bars, Hussefelt stem and KS seatpost. It was just the right combination of stuff that came in under the customs limit from JensonUSA.

MrOvershoot

matther01 – Member

Nope – colour, performance v weight v cost – brand is irrelevant for me

Yep that x 10

That’s the number of bikes I have with disparate stuff on 😉

jamj1974

Used to often match stems and seat posts. Have not really done this for any bike since I began fitting dropper posts. Currently running matching bars and stem on one bike though!

tomhoward

My rules are:

Easton carbon bars (havocs)
    Thomson stem, in length suiting the bike (50-70mm)
    Reverb stealth.
    Black

All my (5) mtbs conform here, save for the 2 specialized’s, which have command posts that I don’t dislike enough to replace with reverbs.

Road, all bontrager, all black, same measurements, all matching the material of the frame of the Trek frame they are on.

wallop

I didn’t realise matching was a thing.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pretty much, mtb has all Easton 70 series, CX bike is all OEM it came with, roadie is Ritchey WCS

jam-bo

I did but my renthal stem starting creaking like a bastard after six months so I got rid. Renthal don’t make a dropper…

lunge

All Deda on my best road bike.
    All PX on my gnarmac bike.
    Unbranded post, Hope stem and Deda bars on road bike 2.
    Thomson post and stem, Nuke Proof bars in MTB.

rOcKeTdOg

Until RockShox start making bars and stems, I can’t see it happening!

Don’t sram own rockshox & truvative, technically they do make bars & stems

pictonroad

I’m struggling to recall the stem manufacturers on my bikes. 😳

So, I guess that’s a no…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Used to have Thomson post and stem with either answer or Easton bars just because I thought it was all good kit.

Now it’s a haven stem with havoc bars and a dropper post (Thomson currently) again because I think it’s good kit, not through any desire to match anything to anything else.

LoCo
    Free Member

haha, for the first time ever this week yes, on my new build matching carbon stuff.
    Will get swapped as necessary if not strong enough/angles not quite right though, function over form always.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Looks like I’m in the minority then 🙂

jamj1974

I have been through several marching sets of stuff OP. Control Tech, Titec, RaceFace, Thomson…

Historically, if they made stuff in the dimensions I wanted – I would definitely look for a brand where I could get a matching set up. Always thought it looked better.

colournoise

I’m a bit funny about matching some things, but not that. Main bike has Funn stem, On One carbon bars and a Reverb. Hardtail has Ragley stem, RaceFace bars and a Reverb.

theotherjonv

Nope. While the highly refined mile munching trail FS weapon is such a mismatch with the unskilled biffer that sits astride it, worrying about whether it’s OK to use a Spesh saddle on another brand of bike is futile.

tazzymtb

Got to have matching collar and cuffs for me so stem and seat post must match where possible, bars less so. I also align logos and valves.

richmars

What, you take off a perfectly serviceable part and replace it!!??
    Don’t you know how much energy to take to make aluminium? And the shipping from China, That’s another 2 tonnes of CO2 you’re generated.
    😉

tazzymtb

Nah just follow the STW enviro mantra and recycle some household waste and drive an estate and you’re like massively carbon neutral in your lifestyle.

epicyclo

I’ve gone so far as to use 2 outer cable colours so they matched my bike.

Blue for where the frame was blue, and white for where it was white, which of course meant I had to have a cable joint, and considerable effort was made to get it to match the shade of the other bare metal of the stem/bars/seatpost.

And my cable ferrules match whatever anodised bits are on my bike. 🙂

Nah, me, I’m not fussy.

TiRed

With giant bikes stem selection is easy to match. Road bikes yes, off road no.

Oh and the road bikes have integrated seat posts, so one less thing to match.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My OCD says yes, cockpit is all Raceface ( Bars/stem/seatpost), even cranks. I use as much hope stuff as I can too (wherls/brakes/BB/Headset)
    I am very sad. 😀

aa
    Free Member

I used to. But not anymore.
    Groovy luv handles, Thomson stem, Paul seatpost.

Not even the same colour.

kerley
    Free Member

Match seat post and stem. I like Thomson and it looks good if they match with same finish and logo.
    Bars are as logo free as possible and I wire wool the logos off where possible.

stgeorge

Where’s the cockpit on a bike? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Do you match up?’ is closed to new replies.