Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do you keep old mtb mags?
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

I was given a MBR mag today from a customer which was dated 2005. I had a quick look through, barely any mention of 29ers and all bikes had triple front rings. There was a tiny article regarding 1 x 10 that Hope were putting together but apart from that no mention of 1 x 10/11. Anyway I’m back to the job on Monday and she said she thinks there are some mtb mags from the late 90’s that her late husband collected that I can have. Might be worth a read.

tomhoward

I don’t so much ‘actively keep’ as ‘just don’t throw away’, but then whenever I move house, I have a good clear out. But there’s still some 10+ year old ones (kept because I’m in them in some manner).

km79
    Free Member

I’ve cut out and kept some articles but adding these up since the early 90s probably wouldn’t even amount to a single magazines worth. Generally only buy a few a year these days and just bin them a month or two later.

Northwind

I’m having a clearout of years of mags, still hoping to find that MBR that said 710mm was too wide for trail use, and the one that said 750mm was too narrow for trail use. Did find an editorial in MBUK that basically said “650b is a load of shite and therefore inevitably we’ll all be riding it in 5 years”, that was 2013.

cookeaa

Nostalgia is so passé…

Davesport

I had about a full wheelie bin load of old MTB mags laying around. It took my son about half an hour to shove them all through a mates letterbox. Win win for everyone 😆

sgn23
    Free Member

I alway struggle to throw away old mags. I’ve a copy of MBR issues #1 somewhere in the loft.

oldfart

Don’t bother keeping ” mainstream” MTB mags , have got Singletrack from day 1 , quite a few Dirtrag for the yank aspect and every issue of the short lived MTB World that took over from MTB Pro ( got a few them as well ) they were both a class apart .

Northwind

I seem to have decided to keep all my Singletracks and Privateers. Which is weird because they’re not my favourite mags and there’s essentially no chance I’ll ever look at an old one again. Maybe it’s just that they look nicer on the shelf.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I haven’t even opened the last Singletrack. I’ll probably bin it before I do. 🙁 ❓

I like the forum and riding bikes.

chestrockwell

Still got my first mbuk from 1989 along with plenty from the early 90’s, some from late and another bunch from 2005 on.

Used to have loads more of the early ones but they fetch £5 each so re-read them all and got rid of the ones without specific bits I wanted to keep.

TiRed

Only Privateer. The rest get recycled at work.

natrix
    Free Member

I lay them out on the floor and sleep on them, I’ve got ‘back issues’ 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

I used to keep them, had a big collection including the full set of MTB Pro. No idea why I kept them, bin the lot last year when I was going through a ‘cleansing’ phase. Also stopped my subs for all mags so very seldom buy a magazine now, unless it’s for holiday reading. Still have a load of copies of rouleur but I sell them on eBay.

gonzy
    Free Member

used to have the entire MBR collection from first edition to 2008; Singletrack from first edition to 2008; MBUK 1995 – 2008; Dirt magazine 1999 – 2007

ended up binning the lot of them 6 years ago…wife wouldnt let me take them to the new house due to a lack of space….damn things had their own room in the old house!!
    tyres were nearly touching the wheel arches when i loaded them into the car to take them to the recycling bin

spawnofyorkshire

Maybe it’s just that they look nicer on the shelf.

I have an STW shelf in my sitting room. Only person who reads the old ones is my mate when he pops round

nickc

I’ve a few years worth of STW on the shelf (in reality only 15-20 or so issues) but no further back than that.

mazz
    Free Member

I’ve recently just binned a load of mbr. Had from 1st edition all the way through to 2015. Have kept issues 1,2,3.

Got issue 1 and 2 of privateer right on desk next to where I am typing.

Also have almost all copies of Cyclist.

Really pleased most subs come with digital versions – i can keep only a few paper copies now

Gary_M
    Free Member

Also have almost all copies of Cyclist.

I had the full set, sold them on ebay, cancelled the sub. Just got bored with magazines really, its the same old stuff rolled out every year.

thenorthwind

I’ve got every issue of The Ride Journal, but only issue 100 of ST. And a copy of MBUK with an article my mates rode/shot.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Only Dirt – have got a massive box in the attic with Dirt from 2004 onwards.

I did have all of the first issues through to about 2001 but they were binned when I went to uni.

It’s quite good fun looking back – I watched the Sprung videos last week. Bikes and riding have come a fair way since then!

chakaping
    Free Member

I lay them out on the floor and sleep on them, I’ve got ‘back issues’

Very good.

😆

darrell
    Free Member

err no

read em and then recycle em

edlong
    Free Member

I used to. Until a shelf broke and I was “encouraged” to cull them – cut out a few features and guides I wanted and binned the rest. Almost entirely MBRs and Singletracks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do you keep old mtb mags?’ is closed to new replies.