Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Do you invert the Y-axis?
  • Cougar

(how many people went “wut?” right there?)

We’ve got an Xbox One for Christmas (and it’s amazeballs) but setting it all up got me thinking. I have it set up with the right stick ‘backwards’ for 3D games, a bit like a flight yoke. Pulling back looks up, forward down. My OH has her controller set so that pressing ‘up’ looks upwards and so forth, like the 3D world is actually in two dimensions.

Now, I think this is ****ing crackers, but it’s also the default setting on the console / in games. So I was wondering, how do you orientate yours?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Invert the Y, it’s the only way.

Does your Mrs turn maps so it’s facing the direction of travel?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think this is ****ing crackers,

*Reported.*

😉

swavis

Invert Y. I get giddy if I don’t

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yep everytime.

teethgrinder

yup. People who don’t are wrong.

shermer75
    Free Member

Invert

chubstr
    Free Member

Invert for flying games, normal for everything else

tjp1980
    Free Member

Inverted all the way. Always confuses me as surely inverted implies this is the wrong way round which it obviously isn’t.

AD

Invert always 🙂

tjp1980
    Free Member

Invert x if your feeling hardcore

km79
    Free Member

Most people who grew up with a joystick will go with inverted, I believe the kids these days don’t.

RocketTom
    Free Member

Absolutely, but I did spend a lot if time playing with my joystick as a teenager

JonBoy
    Free Member

Go inverted or go home.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Inverted here also, my kids don’t though which always throws me if they ask for some help on a game.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Only on flight games because that’s how actual flight controls work. Why you’d do it for anything else is a mystery to me, why not invert the x-axis as well if you’re just after being awkward? 😉

takisawa2

Invert.
    Every time the kids ask me to do Minecraft I run around like a headless chicken.

allfankledup

I played playstation games for years with oaps.org

They have two default arguments, inverts vs defaults, and slippers vs none.

Slipper and invert here, my son is the opposite,I blame his mother

zigzag69
    Free Member

Even inverting Y, I still can’t cope. Give me a mouse and keyboard any day. Curse of the 90’s PC gamer.

jamj1974

Inverted for everything.

djglover
    Free Member

I played with my joystick so much it inverted itself

molgrips
    Free Member

I invert, and the thing I did immediately before hitting STW and seeing this thread was invert the scrolling direction on my touchpad.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Inverted only for flight games, which has I will use a flight stick for any way, for everything else than normal/ mouse and keyboard

squirrelking
    Free Member

Always invert, it’s the closest I can get to mouse control. Only thing worse than a non-inverted y-axis is a game that inverts the x-axis when reversing (because by default people are stupid apparantly) resulting in complete chaos as you try to manouver a tank with a changing x-axis depending on whether it’s direction of travel (which can be further complicated by whether you are actually under power or freewheeling). Looking at you Planetside.

On inverting scroll wheels, why do Apple do this by default? Worst “feature” ever.

scaled
    Free Member

You tried that stealth sniper 2 and it didn’t have the option, didn’t you

ontor
    Free Member

inverted

kevj
    Free Member

There’s my new buzz phrase for meeting bingo.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Inverted, every time – drives my Son mad “you press up to go down, you’re weird DAD!!!!!”

v8ninety

People who don’t ‘invert’; Do you look down to look at the sky? weirdos. 😉

chvck
    Free Member

Always invert, it’s the closest I can get to mouse control.

I mostly PC game with mouse n keyboard but I do not invert controllers, on any game. Hadn’t realised I’m in a minority here!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m like Hendricks, I hold the controller the wrong way around 🙂

Drac

Only invert for flying but most already are.

olddog

Invert for flying only. I think it’s because with flying it’s controlling a vehicle whereas with FPS or third person I’m not controlling the avatar from outside like it is a puppet, so looking is more logical not inverted to me.

stumpyjon

Invert here as well, will have to show this thread to the lad. Makes swapping controller mid battle to play together fu .

Cougar

I played playstation games for years with oaps.org

Hey, so did I. Pack in PS2 days, mind.

Even inverting Y, I still can’t cope. Give me a mouse and keyboard any day.

Ah, but did you invert on the mouse?

mtbtom
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m inverted. Can’t really work out why I invert y and not x, doesn’t seem logical.

Weird thing is, if I sit there and think about which direction to push the stick in order to look up and left, it takes a while to get it straight in my brain, but in-game I do it without thinking. Very odd!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

inverted.. all the players on our local co op are inverted. Next you’ll ask if we’re mode 2 and goofy 🙂

Invert. It’s the only way I can play. When my friends and I would take turns on games I was the only one who had to invert. They loved me.

myopic
    Free Member

Cougar – just don’t EVER let your wife take over the controls of a plane 😉

Tenuous
    Free Member

I used to run inverted, and it’s what always felt right to me, but I got fed up with constantly having to switch it, and there were some games that didn’t work properly with inverted (MWO and similar), so I switched myself instead. Much less hassle in the long run.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Do you invert the Y-axis?’ is closed to new replies.