Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Do you have a job?
  • chico
    Free Member

Ive been reading peoples posts lately and they seem to have lovely enjoyable mid week rides. I just wondered if im the only person who works all week and only rides at weekends to the wifes anoyance. I would love to be able to ride mid week. (maybe they are shift workers?) Dx lights arrive soon so will get out evenings though……

genesis
    Free Member

I do but work most weekends, look after my little lad on a Monday but Thurs is all mine.

jedi

i have a job and love it 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I work 30 hours a week, but do quite a lot of evenings/long days so I can often get at least 1 day/afternoon off during the week. Though as I mention in pretty much every thread, I've been ill for the lat couple of months and haven't really been working or biking. 😐

crispybacon
    Free Member

the benefit of working flexi-time is you can take time off during the week especially if it's nice & sunny riding weather 😆 although you do have to make those hours up hopefully when it's wet 😕

br
    Free Member

no, that's why I managed 110 off-road miles last week 😆

chico
    Free Member

[the benefit of working flexi-time is you can take time off during the week especially if it's nice & sunny riding weather ]
    what is sunny weather?

chvck
    Free Member

I'm a student – doing a masters, it's great!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shift worker – working around 8-10 nights a month

trail_rat
    Free Member

i seem to have got a job thats sent me back to college (already got a Beng in mech eng) so im out of work by 4pm most nights – still light so some riding in.

or i ride pre work when im in the office

joolsburger
    Free Member

Work for myself but on a contract that requires my presence everyday – tis pants…

chakaping
    Free Member

I work for myself too.

I used to find time for midweek rides, but have been so busy the last couple of months that I've not had the time.

Nice to be earning of course, but it's getting frustrating too.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have a job so night rides in the week, one or two dependng on familt life and a ride on weekend if I can squeeze it in without causing too much grief

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I have no job , but would like one very much.

avdave2

Yes which is why nearly all my riding is on the way to or home from work. I'm lucky in that the shortest route is 6 miles and 5 miles of it is off road. When the evenings are lighter and the weather a bit nicer I often extend it. If I get some better lights I might start riding further in the dark as well.

Keva
    Free Member

work 40 odd hours a week full time 08:30-18:00ish. My midweek rides are usually to and from work via the local woods, or an early morning run/swim.

Kev

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

40-50 hours a week depending workload + commuting time. Occasionally ride mid week but usually too mentally tired.

I leave the house at 05.15 most days and get home anywhere between 18.00 & 19.00, so generally out of the house 13-14hrs per day/65-70hrs per week with a 140mile a day round trip (I was relocated 2 years ago). We ride Thursday evenings and some Sundays.

However, redundancy is looming – I survived last time, but have opted for voluntary this time, as I've had enough – it's mostly stress and miserable faces when I get there anyway.

It's a big scary step, with large outgoings each month, I'm leaving a decent salary to go self employed. It has the potential to earn more cash and give me more free time, but is scary nontheless.

grumm
    Free Member

However, redundancy is looming – I survived last time, but have opted for voluntary this time, as I've had enough – it's mostly stress and miserable faces when I get there anyway.

I reckon you are doing the right thing – that much travel and hours away from home can't be good surely.

craig1975
    Free Member

I hate my job 😥 or should I say who I work for, bloody resestion… or i would have legged it by now…. out the door for 7am home around 5:30pm 5 days a week, and 0 energy for bike's during the week but try and get a mid week night ride… if it's not raining lol

Dancake
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to do shift work so myself and a couple of lads occasionally go out after earlies or even do evening ones before nights. After Late shift is a favourite..going across the beacon at midnight can be quite relaxing.

I rarely get out at weekends though; Probably one Sunday/month. (Due to Toddler/ wife commitments)

steveh

I have a job until the 18th december after that I'm out of work. So i'm not doing too much at the mo and managed 2 day rides last week. Plus my work can involve working from home (office 1.5 miles away) and visiting suppliers so sometimes I'm home early and go ride.

I try and ride 5 times a week, normally night rides etc.

ddmonkey

I'm in the same boat chico, work all week and by the time I get home, help put the kids to bed and sort some dinner I can rarely face going out in the dark again. I try to do one decent ride every weekend which is as much as I can get away with. Summer is much better, I can fit in an hours ride some evenings and also ride to work some days.

I'm going to try getting out for a run one evening during the week to keep me a bit fitter over winter.

tootin

6 mile paper round every morning, not fun at all but it keeps me fit. (I'm 15 by the way)

chico
    Free Member

i try to get 25 ish off road miles on sat or sun. Had a beast of a ride at Hebden bridge last sat, what with the wind and mud. also a training ride of 12 miles on Blackpool prom on a wed or thurs night. thats hard work on my meta 55 with the wind. hope to get up to Rivvi soon for night rides ,just waiting for lights to arrive.

Taff
    Free Member

I have a job and I works 40 hour week. Don't get time to get out in the evenings really so am a bit of a wekend warrior. My bro in law frustrates me as he works for the council and works flexy… a 3 hour lunch time spent on the Gorlech trails is enough to make you sick

chopperT
    Free Member

I have an 8.30 start, 3pm finish (though always some homework). 30miles a day riding the commute. Which leaves me with a lack of enthusiasm for riding on the weekend, which is probably for the best with a 3 & 4yr old, and Mrs all wanting time from me.

druidh
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

It's a big scary step, with large outgoings each month, I'm leaving a decent salary to go self employed. It has the potential to earn more cash and give me more free time, but is scary nontheless.

Wow. Good luck with that. Really hope it works out for you.

carlphillips
    Free Member

self employed, 3 days a week, ah sweet

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Sundays and evening riding here, unless it happens to be the summer or half term, then LLOOOONNNNGGG holidays leave plenty of days for riding.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No job, no money and an increasing interest in where my mortgage payments are coming from!

dobo
    Free Member

did an hour tonight after finishing work at 18:30, only week day rides i get at the moment are at night in the wet on my own lol, then at weekend have to juggle the GF and stuff to try fit a ride in there too. i seem to be cycling less not more..how people fit in training, wifes, friends etc and be competitive in races is a mystery to me

LMT
    Free Member

I generally ride midweek, and yes i have a job, im a line manager for Tesco, so i tend to get wednesday and sunday as my days off.

Sunday is time with the OH as its the only day we get together and as we don't live together its our time, while the wednesday is mine to do as i please.

Ive just joined a new store opening team, so for the next 6 weeks im Mon-Fri so will have to discuss arrangements for biking with my OH as she gets saturdays off as well, but its only temporary, when the new store opens i will be back to midweek biking!

beefy

3 days a week, 8:30 to 3:30, 10 minute (on foot) commute.

Got a wife who earns the big bucks, whilst I work pt and do a physics degree.

Oh yeah!

Loads of energy to ride and if the suns shining on my day off, then out I go!

westkipper
    Free Member

I have a fairly physical 45 hour average job (postie) which used to be a lot easier and allowed me to get out in the afternoons, but now I 'm often not home before 3:30/ 4o clock and I'm just too f**ked to get out most days.
    One thing thats just depressing about the job is, as your out and about, seeing lots of other peoples lifestyles, and realising that surprisingly, there's quite a lot of people that have life pretty easy*, and get out to play on their bikes/ motorcycles every day.
    Its also soul destroying to see the guys I used to train with fly by, knowing that they are getting fitter, and I'm just grinding my knee's and back into the ground.
    *This sounds like a pure sour grapes-style moan, doesn't it? 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

I went through this myself 18 months ago and, as the cliché goes, it was the best thing I ever did.

Now working much harder, but earning a lot more – and spending more time with family too because I work from home.

Good luck!

mjrobinson7
    Free Member

I have a great job which I love but it's the kind of job with no set hours I just work as much as needed Monday to Friday and drive about 3000 miles a month, spending x2 nights away almost every week so no midweek riding at all! However it pays well so can get myself plenty of bike stuff and I have wkds free so always ride Saturday and Sunday to do bike maintenence and wife duty 😉

devs
    Free Member

Work 5 days 9.30-5 mostly from home but can be on the road too. After all, if the hardware's gone on a server you can't fix that remotely! If it's slack, I'll go for a ride, just as in the same way if a customer has no service I'll put in the hours till it's fixed. I ride most nights, going out somewhere between 1930 and 2130 depending on how knackered I feel and what task list Mrs D has for me. Not long in from a brilliant ride. Dry trails and wildlife abound.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, I have a (widely publicised) nightmare of a job where I can typically be expected to work between 50 and 100 hours a week.

I get in on average, 100 miles a week. Which is not bad considering the circumstances I feel. (I'm married with a child as well)

You have to make time and work *hard* at getting your cycling time in. Commute where you can. Just because it's dark and late doesn't mean you can't get out for an hours blast. Get up early at the weekend. Get up *real* early on weekdays for a quick ride before work. Get everything ready the night before so you can literally jump on the bike first thing and knock out a quick 20 mile fun fest before showering and heading to work. Smile inwardly at other people in the meetings as they look at you with dull eyes while your legs tingle with the nettle stings and your elbow leaks plasma onto your shirt from that fall you had.

Fight club, only you're the only one in it.

outby
    Free Member

shift work 6 on 4 off nice, only prob work 1 km under ground

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a job?’ is closed to new replies.