Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do you get wetter if you run or walk in the rain?
  • s
    Free Member

Say the time scale is the same, so walking for 5min or running for 5min, which way is best for keeping dryer?

Its the last one from me today, promise & I know its a stupid question from a dim person 😉

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Please stay consistent in your title and post, you oppose the question 😉 run = drier.

MoreCashThanDash

Think Brainiac did this as well?

jonba
    Free Member

I’m sure someone did an actual mathematical study for this. While I sort of agree with the video above it would depend on a number of variables. Distance to travel, “strength” of rain and speed at which you run. They did two possible scenarios but didn’t work out an optimum speed.

I have vague recollections of it being 9mph leaning 10° in the direction of travel or something equally silly

Cougar

So long as you’re out for the same length of time, it makes no difference.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Some meteorologists did a proper study, in actual rain, and yes speed, angle and height all make a small difference. And the mythbusters redid their test in actual rain and found the same as the meteorologists, i.e. running = drier.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That vid is interesting but takes no account of how wet your feet and head get which can be 2 of the more annoying bits to get wet.

scaredypants

running = sweaty 😳

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol @ ‘which is the best way of keeping dryer’ ?????? i duno carry a battery hair dryer with you !!!! lol or even better dont go out in the rain (your bound to stay drier then ! 😉 hahahhah
    yeah depends on the angle of the rain throwing itself at you at a guess….

stratobiker
    Free Member

So, I’ve got five minutes in the rain to get myself as wet as possible.
    Surely the quicker I move the more falling raindrop……..hang on…. makes no difference.

I was gonna say, the quicker I move the more flling rain I hit. But…If I lie down…..?????

loum
    Free Member

lie in a puddle

mark90
    Free Member

This takes me back, had to prove this theory mathematically during first year physics degree.

The longer you are out in the rain the more falls on your head.

The further you go in the rain the more rain you go through and ‘sweep’ out of the air.

So for fixed time in the rain you get wetter running as you cover more distance and hence ‘sweep’ up more rain with your frontal area. You’d stay driest just standing still.

For a fixed distance, eg to the LSB, you ‘sweep’ up the same amount rain whatever speed, but get less rain on your head if you run as you spend less time in the rain.

Furthermore as you will always ‘sweep’ up the same amount of frontal rain on your trip to the LBS and the top cross section is smaller than than frontal one trying to go quicker to keep drier starts to get in to dimishing returns, so only worthwile jogging not sprinting.

The above assumes constant rate of rain and deglects and increased spashing effect of running.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do you get wetter if you run or walk in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.