Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do you choose your steerer length thinking about resale?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Hey
    Running my steerer longer than I would choose to with a couple of spacers (10-15 mm ish ) on top. I have no thought that im ever likely to sell the fork but the current bike has a very small headtube and stack height so if i cut it lower, it will become pretty much useless to anyone else. should i get my bike looking tidy and cut or leave it long 'just in case'

bassspine
    Free Member

I tend to leave 10-20mm margin for resale

nickc

It's not something I give any thought to. I cut the steerer to where I need it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run my bars low, if I cut it for my own use it would be arround 150mm, which would make them worthless to everyone else.

Is startign to bug me though as a 200mm steerer pokes up far enough to stop the bike being stable when turned upside down.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    It's not something I give any thought to. I cut the steerer to where I need it.

khani
    Free Member

Same as bassspine plus different makes of frames headtube can vary a lot in size even if they are the same size frame, so if I swap frames there's no worry about new forks as well

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do definitely, a few spacers is never a bad thing anyway.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes – I have left my steerer tube long on one fork as I am going to sell them when my new forks arrive 🙂 My Talas' I have cut short as will keep those for quite some time 🙂

ken_shields
    Free Member

I have large bikes so all forks tend to have 200mm+ steerers but there has been many a fork for sale on here that I've had to ignore because the steerer is too short

It looks a bit w4nky having spacers above the stem but if it makes it more sellable then you just have to put up with it

bigyinn
    Free Member

Same problem for me, my HT frame has a mahoosive headtube, which means i need a steeerer tube that needs to be 240mm long FFS! Thanks Marin, well thought out there!

jonb
    Free Member

not for resale but I do consider that I may need to swap them to another frame. Normally have about 10-20mm underneath and the converse on top.

mboy
    Free Member

I just cut em at 200mm, which usually means I need between 15-25mm of spacers on there too, but then that allows me to mess about with handlebar height too. Also, I run flat, or very low rise bars now rather than mid-high rise bars, which makes up the height difference.

I've found that much shorter than 200mm on the steerer and a fork is VERY hard to sell on in the future from past experiences.

DickBarton

Mental…why even think about this? The bike is meant to be set up to fit you and your riding not so you can get a few extra quid when you have grown tired of it and want to sell it on…what a truly bizarre thought process.

Nope, the steerer is cut to fit me…if it doesn't fit the person who buys it then so be it…but while I'm owning it, I want it to fit me…

crikey
    Free Member

Wait till you buy a bike with an integrated seatpost….

Resale? I buy them then ride them, not get fed up after 2 weeks…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I don't buy my bikes to sell on.

I run all my bikes slammed and always cut the steerer appropriately.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I bought my bike with riding it rather than selling it in mind so, no.
    But if I went through bikes as quickly as some on here seem to then it seems like a good idea.

rOcKeTdOg

I run all my bikes slammed

translation please?

i swap forks between bikes, all have different headtube sizes so run steerer longer.

Mental…why even think about this? The bike is meant to be set up to fit you and your riding, what a truly bizarre thought process.

it's still set up for you, it'll still steer the same and your bars will still be the same height, why not add some versatility?

nuke

I'm the same as thisisnotaspoon…I run my bars low. I have a set of 2008 Revs which are barely used but I know I'd get very little for them as the steerer is cut to 170mm…perfect for my Inbred but then Inbreds only have 105mm headtubes. On newer forks I've tended to leave the steerer at around 190mm.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nope, I actually commented about this earlier. My steerer is cut right down with only a 5mm spacer in case the next headset is a little higher.
    I tend to use the 6o rise for height adjustment.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

Yes.

But mainly it's if I want to change frame in the future.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Same as panda,
    I'm sure I'll tinker around with bits some time and put the forks on another frame- so it's nice to know I'll have the option with a bit of extra tube

inkster
    Free Member

Remember South Park and the island of misfit mascots?

It's right next to the island for forks with too short steerers.

nickc

I run all my bikes slammed

Low

jahwomble
    Free Member

No, but I deliberately buy shirts two sizes too big, so when I get bored of them I can sell them on to some bloater without affecting the s/hand value.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do you choose your steerer length thinking about resale?’ is closed to new replies.