Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do you BBQ?
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

Well I’m a moral disgrace according to the Guardian…not only do I like a BBQ but I’m also fond of a bit of brown sauce!

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes I do but in my oven tonight Chinese roast pork … 😆

footflaps

I didn’t understand a word of that argument!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I didn’t understand a word of that argument!

Chewkw or the Guardian?

freddyg
    Free Member

As Michael W Twitty, a culinary historian, explains:

‘Barbecue is a form of cultural power and is intensely political, with a culture of rules like no other American culinary tradition: sauce or no sauce; which kind of sauce; chopped or not chopped; whole animal or just ribs or shoulders. And, if America is about people creating new worlds based on rebellion against oppression and slavery, then barbecue is the ideal dish: it was made by enslaved Africans with inspiration and contributions from Native Americans struggling to maintain their independence.’

If anything, both in etymology and culinary technique, barbecue is as African as it is Native American and European, though enslaved Africans have largely been erased from the modern story of American barbecue. At best, our ancestors are seen as mindless cooking machines who prepared the meat under strict white supervision, if at all; at worst, barbecue was something done “for” the enslaved, as if they were being introduced to a novel treat.’

Oh, just **** off….

mogrim

The Guardian does have some really idiot columnists.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it because my sausages are black?

Stoner
    Free Member

some gems below the line

Barbecue is a tradition where we take the blackest thing we can find – charcoal – and attack it with fire until it relents and becomes white.

Even the meat is discouraged from becoming black.

It’s more racist than your grandparents.

footflaps

Chewkw or the Guardian?

neither or both.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s more racist than your grandparents.

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do you BBQ?’ is closed to new replies.