Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do xd freehubs get chewed up?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

So, planning a new bike and pondering what 11 speed cassette to use.

I’ve had a few alu freehub bodies chew up in the past and even swapped to steel to solve the problem.

Looking at the xd freehub interface it looks like it wouldn’t suffer the same fate. Anyone found an xd freehub getting damaged by the cassette?

Looks like xd is lighter, offers a wider range and doesn’t chew up (i think).

Other than being more expensive, is there a downside to xd?

njee20
    Free Member

No.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers, looks like it might be shimano mech and shifter with a sram cassette then.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s my combo, it’s excellent.

mactheknife

I had a couple of older hope freehubs that were chewed up, these were the alloy versions. Had a hope xd driver on now for 2 years, recently changed the cassette and if in perfect condition. Very chuffed

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks gents. Looks like that might h the way to go then.

slimjim78
    Free Member

yet still struggling to shift my XD 650b wheelset 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can imagine how the cost of cassettes will put a lot of people off though. Isn’t the xx1 cassette about 180 grams lighter than the new xt though?

njee20
    Free Member

Nearly 190g, plus an XD body itself saves weight. It’s significantly lighter than XTR too, and they’ve been dogged with issues – creaking and what not.

andylc
    Free Member

XD 11 speed SRAM cassette with XTR shifter and mech seems to be the perfect combo. Especially when your XX1 mech and shifter that came with the bike go second hand on eBay for more than the new XTR kit cost…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do xd freehubs get chewed up?’ is closed to new replies.