Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Do we think CRC are getting a bit desperate?
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

On their home screen there’s a code for £15 off £100+ spend. So I thought now was the time to get my Garmin edge 200,bringing it down to the same price as Amazon, but OH NO!!! It’s not on the rather small list of types of items included in this offer, as on the T&C’s!

Grrrrr…The items included in the offer are on the front page, right under the offer on a decent sized red banner!

> Clothing * Bags * Helmets * Shoes * Nutrition <

simonm
    Free Member

Some interesting speculative thoughts above, so I pulled the accounts.

Sales up From 2010 £100 million to £136 million 2011, so not really suffering from credit card details.

In terms of profit and cashflow, looks good 10 months ago, loans of £2.5million not insurmountable debt. 32% gross margin..and grew through the recession by the looks of it, so CRC on face looks pretty solid on paper.

Really interesting reading, didn’t realise they owned a place in Taiwan and are linked with Hotlines.

zerocool

They’re not desperate, it’s just a way of clearing lots of old stock. And I expect there are lots of people who buy something they might not normally get just because of the 10%

headfirst
    Free Member

@ Rusty: details, details…

Anyway, I went back and got a good deal on some ortlieb panniers (105-15=90 quid for 2 pannier bags and a large saddle bag), so I’m happy now. 😀

Underhill
    Free Member

I work with a girl from Ballyclare.

Not all it’s cracked up to be.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

They sure don’t seem to have the same amounts of heavilly discounted old stock on frames and forks.

flyingfox
    Free Member

They’re being wise and clearing stock. Something all bike retailers should be doing. While they’re canny and have buying power, there are a lot of retailers selling stuff at a loss or trade price to keep afloat. Scary times. Shouldn’t be too long before we all give it up and buy stuff from CRC because there will be fewer or no bike shops (we do already when we buy our Lapierres so we’re funding it too I guess).

Trekster

Got it in one there flyingfox 😉

Unless you work in a manufacturing environment I doubt Joe Public realise where we are heading 🙄

Won’t be long before CRC etc will not be able to acquire surplus stock as they do atm due to an increase in raw material cost and a downturn in manufacturing and lowering of stock levels.

To combat the Chinese threat to the “west” wage costs to manufacturing etc( fixed costs) need to be driven down( something which has begun) . This is already impacting on the UK

fd3chris
    Free Member

I still think CRC have the largest range of stock and normally the best price . I spend a lot of money on bike parts , as I’m sure everyone else here does too, and their website is always my first choice . Wiggle I find very expensive compared normally but I do rate Merlin for certain items like brakes and the odd fork deal .

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hmmmm

cx_monkey

Big animals need fed

Probably the most sensible thing said about CRC really. £136M turnover last year – with 32% gross margin, means £7M+ running cost each month (including buying the stock) – that’s an enormous amount of sales to make to just break even – a few months of less than on plan sales could see major cash flow issues – especially if they’re not cash rich, and having loans would suggest that the profit is funelled out of the business/invested in assets/property/etc.

In the current climate – no-one is too big to fail. Many ‘good’ businesses have…

rocketman
    Free Member

Can’t fault the lads from Ballyclare.

The bike I ordered on Sunday afternoon has been despatched and is being tracked as we speak.

Woo-hoo as they say 😀

Trekster

In the current climate – no-one is too big to fail. Many ‘good’ businesses have…

Too true! My work were gearing up to make film to go into the PV panel market which has gone teats up due to all this austerity guff 🙄 Development of new films needs to be fast tracked but without income this is looking like pie in the sky atm. Could be looking for a job soon or maybe retired 🙄

Look how many on here have moved over to the dark side. Over the years I have ‘lost’ quite a few mates to the road for various reasons, one being cost of maintaining an mtb bike. Some of my current group are considering road bikes to help spread the cost but still get out on a bike when short of time.
    How many on here having lost their mojo
    Those who now use mainland European sites for parts and bikes
    e-bay and other sales sources
    The weather has bound to have had an effect on how much people are cycling and wearing out parts
    Lots of job losses as well as down sizing/change of priorities

So many more alternatives than when I started 30 odd yrs ago 💡

xcstu
    Free Member

Desperate? Hardly.. 10% when you spend £100 or more is no great offer!!??

simonm
    Free Member

especially if they’re not cash rich,

Correct, only, £1.2m cash at bank.

Really interesting is EU sales £82million, ROW £53million.

beaker

Just had another email through…. Offer extended until Thursday.

vinnyeh

Maybe one of their more err low profile backers want their investment back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Look how many on here have moved over to the dark side. Over the years I have ‘lost’ quite a few mates to the road for various reasons, one being cost of maintaining an mtb bike. Some of my current group are considering road bikes to help spread the cost but still get out on a bike when short of time.
    How many on here having lost their mojo

Thats why I singlespeed 🙂 Still got a nice bike that cost 4x as much for special occasions (i.e. weekends).

simonm
    Free Member

1×10 saves a bit too

Kryton57

They are still desparate to shift cardboard, if the the size the box containing a tennis ball sized object that arrived yesterday is anything to go by….

damo2576
    Free Member

£136M turnover last year – with 32% gross margin, means £7M+ running cost each month (including buying the stock) – that’s an enormous amount of sales to make to just break even

Not saying you’re wrong but not following you here?

rocketman
    Free Member

They are still desparate to shift cardboard, if the the size the box containing a tennis ball sized object that arrived yesterday is anything to go by….

If it’s any consolation my new bike arrived this morning from CRC in a box not much smaller than a Fiesta

Cracking service though I only ordered it on Sunday afternoon nice work CRC & Parcel Force 8)

Trekster

Do we think CRC are getting a bit desperate?

No more than say Amazon, Tredz bikes, Towsure, Tesco, Merlin, theatres or anyone else you may have registered your details wih or bought online from 💡

Where Tredz bikes got our e-mail addy from I have no idea 🙄

Orangejohn
    Free Member

I can live with the continuing sales, not worried whether the item is in the sale or not. What bothers me is the price I pay!

It therefore really, really bugs me when I do a google search on an item needed/ wanted; to find CRC the cheapest.
    I visit the website via the link only to find that the price was for an obscure length or diameter; a 130mm stem or a 28.6mm seatpost.
    The stem that I want in 70mm or seatpost in 27.2mm is an extra third dearer than the obscure one on offer.

In fact this sharp practice (‘sharp’ – in my opinion) makes me so annoyed; on principle I have paid other online retailers a couple of quid more rather than buy it from CRC.
    Come on CRC; END this annoying marketing strategy!!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Do we think CRC are getting a bit desperate?’ is closed to new replies.