Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Do UKip hate cyclists?
  • phil.w
    Free Member

There is little mention of specifics on cycling policies from the other parties but UKip seem to have gone for a all out attack. Here’s a few extracts from their manifesto…

Making cyclists get off and walk at junctions and roundabouts…

Local authorities should be given additional powers to enforce a 'cyclists dismount' or 'no cycling' regulation where there are safety concerns – such as on busy roundabouts, junctions or bus lanes, or where the road would be too narrowed by cycle lanes and cause unacceptable delays to traffic.

Forcing us to get insurance in case we damage a car…

Ukip would consult on the desirability of minimum third party liability insurance cover for cyclists – a simple annual flat rate registration 'Cycledisc', stuck to the bicycle frame, to cover damage to cars and others, which are currently unprotected.

Banning bikes from roads and forcing cyclists to use bike lanes…

Ukip believes off road dedicated lanes are preferable to a confusing maze of cycle lanes on unsuitable or dangerous roads, which is problematic for cyclists as well as other road users.

And silliest of all, making us pay to park…

We support provision of cycle parking at reasonable charges.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not surprising considering there whole ethos is built around hatred of "other" and any different.

Attack all minorities in the hope of getting the bigots vote. the only good thing about them is they split the far right vote.

wwaswas

well, ignoring the bits in bold (which is your voice I guess?) none of those seem 'anti' cycling and there's nothing there saying they would do those things only that they would consult/believe or support?

29erKeith
    Free Member

ukip hate everybody

_tom_
    Free Member

😆 I don't think they have much chance of getting into power anyway.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ukip believes off road dedicated lanes are preferable to a confusing maze of cycle lanes on unsuitable or dangerous roads, which is problematic for cyclists as well as other road users.

I wholely agree with this one. Off-road cycle lanes are great, on-road cycle lanes are dangerous and a joke, I choose to ride in the road instead. However they do not suggest banning cyclists from roads. Do you write for the Mail?

wwaswas

sorry, didn't realise the OP was a cut and paste from the Guardian website…

soobalias
    Free Member

bnp-lite

nbt

r where the road would be too narrowed by cycle lanes and cause unacceptable delays to traffic.

Bikes are traffic too, mmmmkay

thomthumb
    Free Member

paying for cycle parking is just unenforcable – I would happily see more enforcement of good cycling, if there was allso the enforcement of good driving and better cycle facilities.

seems to me that the cycling/ driving standards of the general public are gettign worse and worse and the police enforce the law/ good driving less and less.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i think ukip's policies are essentially a collation of the daily mail's letters page aren't they?

so people complain about bikes jumping lights = ukip policy

'out of control' immigration = ukip policy.

joke party, thinly veiled racism mixed up with NIMBY middle management golf-at-the-weekend, bmw-in-the-drive englanders.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

or where the road would be too narrowed by cycle lanes and cause unacceptable delays to traffic.

To quote one irritated participant that I overheard on the 'London to Brighton' a few years back at Turner's Hill, when the cyclists were being routed against the oncoming cars and he was told to "get out of the way of the traffic" –

"I AM the bloody traffic!"

shermer75
    Free Member

Someone told me once (probably the "bloke down the pub" type thing) that in Switzerland bikes had to be registered or licensed, with a numbered plate attached to each one if you want to ride them out on the road. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does it help or hinder?

BigJohn

I think they're bringing back the death penalty for cycling with a string of onions, striped shirt, beret and smoking a gauloise.

IanMunro
    Free Member

i think ukip's policies are essentially a collation of the daily mail's letters page aren't they?

My dad loves both, so I suspect you are right 🙁

tracknicko
    Free Member

sad times IM. praps go and lose him in the woods for a few hours on voting day? pick him up when its all over?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

in Switzerland bikes had to be registered or licensed,

i think they have a sticker confirming third party liability insurance which is often given away free with the bike, or purchased for the equivalent of a few pounds.

miketually
    Free Member

Someone told me once (probably the "bloke down the pub" type thing) that in Switzerland bikes had to be registered or licensed, with a numbered plate attached to each one if you want to ride them out on the road. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does it help or hinder?

Everything you need to know about licensing bikes: http://ipayroadtax.com/?p=85

In Switzerland, it’s compulsory to have a CHF-5-10 ‘Velo Vignette’ (bike sticker) ‘license’ but as well as being a registration scheme it’s a way of getting cyclists to purchase third-party liability insurance. However, at the end of March 2010, the Swiss parliament started to debate whether to abolish the licenses. Some political parties said the costs of the scheme far outstrip the revenue.

They also banned minarets and got rich from Nazi gold, so we perhaps shouldn't copy everything they do 😉

D0NK

3rd party possibly but how are you going to enforce it when so many motorists get away with not having any? Plus cycling numbers will go down = bad.

While they don't implicitly say they'll ban cycling on roads it does hint at it and it does say they'll try make cyclists walk round roundabouts/junctions or bus lanes* "where there are safety concerns" which could end up being anywhere we may "slow down" proper traffic (ie 4 wheels and an engine)

* so we're getting kicked out of bike/bus lanes too

solarider
    Free Member

Bugger, and I was about to vote for them until I read that. The rest of their policies are just so well thought out, reasonable and democratic, and their leaders seem really well balanced!

yunki
    Free Member

I think I met a member of UKIP yesterday.. he looked like a slightly embittered and shell shocked ex-colonel type.. something in the way he conducted himself..

I was following some pedestrians at walking pace along a footpath near to a clifftop.. patiently waiting for an opportunity to pass..

this guy looked back and caught my eye and held it with a steely malevolent gaze..
    'this path is NO CYLING' he growled at me.

'oh sorry' I cheerily replied.. 'is it really? how silly'

'what's silly'? he asked.. 'the no-cycling rule' I reply

'well if you think it's silly you're a bloody idiot'

'oh thanks' says I 'that's very generous of you.. try and enjoy the rest of your day mate'

'WELL I HOPE YOU BLOODY WELL DON'T'!!! was his parting shot..

It's at times like this that I wish I was less polite and more inclined to call someone a C**T first and ask questions later…

he was definitely UKIP though.. something in his birdlike eyes.. wishing he was taking part in a war somewhere.. preferably on his own doorstep.. with a sabre..

shermer75
    Free Member

grumm
    Free Member

Basically this

It's at times like this that I wish I was less polite and more inclined to call someone a C**T first and ask questions later…

Nah by doing what you did you probably annoyed him more and definitely 'won' imo. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

bnp-lite

Yup & the Tories are UKIP-lite, a direct connection right through all 3 of them

I had a look at a UKIP stall at a show once.
    The guy started talking about how we don't need Brussels telling us to buy apples in kilograms, we should stick to gallons, etc. etc.
    I asked him how many square yards there are in an acre.
    He didn't know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

4840 IIRC – its a chain by a furlong 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

but why? they are so enraged by apples in kilos etc.

who cares? who cares if you ride an empty footpath on a bike?

they are so full of rage its untrue!

I knew that and also that it is 1/640 of a square mile.
    I just found it amusing that someone who was so vocal in his dislike of metric measurements didn't.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do love the poetry in imperial measurements.

soobalias
    Free Member

so who are stw voting for.

green?

luked2
    Free Member

Well, I've just glanced through the UKIP April 2010 manifesto and it doesn't mention cyclists, bikes, junctions or any of that stuff.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Soobalias:

i live in a lib-dem safe seat: they'll win whether i vote or not. i would vote green to help them retain their deposit…

actually, i WILL vote green, to make sure the ukip/bnp/racists are more likely to lose their deposit.

(they need 5% of the vote to keep the £500 deposit – every vote for someone else makes this more likely, there you go kids: a very good reason to vote!)

wwaswas

I live in the constituency with the 32nd smallest majority.

Other than 3 window stickers from the conservatives through the door we've had nothing from anyone.

I'm going to just ask for cash from whoever turns up to canvass me first.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

UKIP are frankly laughable.

The people who take them seriously are what worry me.

Whilst THIS 😀 is just all sorts of crazy.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Anyone who considers voting UKip should be forced to sit and watch V for Vendetta on a constant loop until they recant…

Anyone who votes BNP, well I'd argue for lobotomising them, but "bolting the stable door after the horse has gone" comes to mind.

wwaswas

One of the contractors I use is standing as a UKIP candidate in my consitituency.

It has left me feeling he might be slightly more bonkers than I previously thoiught…

westkipper
    Free Member

Aren't the UKIP, the party for those who find the BNPs xenophobia "too frightfully lower class, old boy"
    All the above policies, even without the bold, are extremely anti-cycling.
    The only possible exception is the third-party thing, and lets be honest, if even the Swiss cant get that to work properly…,

Talkemada
    Free Member

bnp-lite

Who are, in turn, the National Front-Lite….

MrSalmon
    Free Member

well, ignoring the bits in bold (which is your voice I guess?) none of those seem 'anti' cycling and there's nothing there saying they would do those things only that they would consult/believe or support?

I'm with Donk on this, I think phil's bold summarys pretty well describe the effective outcome of those policies. And the language betrays a view of cyclists as menaces and obstacles to the rightful owners of the road, the UK motorist. Not a good sign.

insurance cover for cyclists – a simple annual flat rate registration 'Cycledisc', stuck to the bicycle frame, to cover damage to cars and others, which are currently unprotected.

Unprotected from what? Damage caused when they cut up cyclists? What about insurance for pedestrians, shopping trolleys- cars are terrifyingly exposed to those things too aren't they?

dyna-ti

Tax on bikes
    Would that be to cover the damage caused to a car when it kills you. 😕
    Or just a money making exercise.
    Get off at roundabouts???
    Are these people off their Fing heads
    Thats it 👿
    Bad letter from me going on their email

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Do UKip hate cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.