Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do UK MTB magazines harp on about angles a lot these days?
  • GW
    Free Member

just wondering, Coz there's a hell of as lot of pish spouted on here about them. where does it come from? (I don't really read any Mags)

tron
    Free Member

They all seem to publish angles in their reviews.

JonR
    Free Member

My hardtail has a 69.5 degree head angle. I'm not sure hwta that means but I've decided it's good

pedalhead
    Free Member

Riding lots of different bikes and understanding what angles & measurements you like is all part of extracting maxiumum enjoyment/performance/whatever out of this past-time. What's the problem?

midlifecrashes

Used to be loads about bar width, brakes, pedal bob etc. It gives shit riders like me an excuse. "I'd not have minced down the bombhole/over the water bar if I had a 68deg head angle etc."

DezB
    Free Member

Dirt mag does, to the point of obsession.

The others just seem to mention them out of interest.

GW
    Free Member

pedalhead – Member
    Riding lots of different bikes and understanding what angles & measurements you like is all part of extracting maxiumum enjoyment/performance/whatever out of this past-time.

I agree, have you ever measured the angles, or any other geometry of your bikes?

What's the problem?

re-gourgetated pish.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hmm maybe I'm missing the point of the original post…?

I agree, have you ever measured the angles, or any other geometry of your bikes?

Yes, frequently 😛

GW
    Free Member

There has to be a point? 😯

😳

pedalhead
    Free Member

heh fair enough. Incidentally, this is what I use to calculate angles…

http://plaincode.com/products/clinometer/

Mister-P
    Free Member

It is easy journalism to quote numbers.

chakaping
    Free Member

It's because journos are a bit anal about bikes, surely?

Personally I skip over that bit of reviews and look at the bit about what the bikes are like to ride instead.

But I'd rather know what my bikes head/seat angles were than not be told, since I often buy without a test ride.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the bible goes on about them all the time, too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes, and to an extent it does help if you know what the difference between 2 bikes is. for instance I know my switchback isn't as slack as a 456, but as a result climbs better and is easier to throw arround in the corners wheras the 456 wanders a bit and tends to comit to a line in a corner then relly on you to follow it through.

Given that bikes are largely defined by 4 meansurements (Head angle, BB height, wheelbase and chainstay length for example) it kinda makes sense if you can interpret those into an idea of how any given bike will ride and what youd want to change on your next one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What's teh wurd on angles then GW?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do UK MTB magazines harp on about angles a lot these days?’ is closed to new replies.