Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do they do decent beers in Amsterdam?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It seems that we get lots of lovely beer from the Belgians but pish from Holland – Heineken, Amstel, Orangeboom etc.

When in Holland, are there any nice beers to try that I should look out for?

scruff
    Free Member

you dont need beer in the ‘Dam, man.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you dont need beer in the ‘Dam, man.

Oh, that much I know. Just wondering like…

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

you can get a tour of the Heineken brewery and have a pi$$ up in a brewery though……

Junkyard
    Free Member

damn you stole my joke 👿

beanieripper
    Free Member

Proper Amstel on tap is so nice!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you can get a tour of the Heineken brewery and have a pi$$ up in a brewery though……

Coincidentally, that is actually on the schedule for the weekend 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.indewildeman.nl/

Or am I bullsh1tting again, Darcy? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Excellent stuff flashy. That place sounds great. I’ll be trying to get the group to pay it a visit. Cheersh.

warton
    Free Member

The heineken in the bars is actaully really nice. very cold, small glasses and big heads, goes down a treat

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

although it’s not a particulary good tour, and you only get one and a half pints (well, not even pints, 25cl bursts). Went last friday, and had the next few days of my little buddy whinging that the staropramen tour had been loads better. 15 euros for the tour by the way.

Amstel was hard to find this time round, seems like heineken’s taken over since i was last there. we found a bar just off the leidesplein (big building next to the tram-lines just as you leave leidesplein to walk toward the vondelpark (aha, found it – De Balie: http://www.debalie.nl/home.jsp;jsessionid=EDF83384AF04BAFEF2D506FC272D15F7 ))that did a good range of beers, including some 9% stuff that was far more drinkable than it should have been, and had good music on to boot.

HansRey

Brouwerij ‘t IJ do great beers in ‘dam. Look out for a windmill near the centre. There’s another brewery too very close to the redlight district (the end near the IJ).

Don’t forget La Trappe too. Obviously german and belgian beers are very popular in NL.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks Hans. All noted for the weekend.

HansRey

np, for B. ‘t IJ, might be an idea to get a taxi or something. It’s easily within walking distance, although it took us about 30-40mins whilst high to find it.

fubar
    Free Member

A drop of Grolsch (and varieties of) isn’t too bad.

Teapot
    Free Member

Usually lots of Belgium beer to be had in Holland. Quite often its hidden away but look out for the chalice style branded glasses which give it away.

cranberry
    Free Member

Do they do decent beers in Amsterdam?

Not intentionally, no. Holland boarders 2 of the world’s best beer brewing countries, but for it’s own beer they take their inspiration from their 3rd boarder – the north sea.

Stick to German/Irish/Belgian beer and you won’t go far wrong.

scraprider
    Free Member

pft who cares just get stoned man.

HansRey

grolsch weizen is VERY good. Award winning too… Also look at Hertog Jan, they do good beers and can get them from most supermarkets. Great for sipping on between bars. Their grand prestige is my favourite.

and ’t IJ

cranberry – Member
    Do they do decent beers in Amsterdam?
    Not intentionally, no. Holland boarders 2 of the world’s best beer brewing countries, but for it’s own beer they take their inspiration from their 3rd boarder – the north sea.

Stick to German/Irish/Belgian beer and you won’t go far wrong

Cranberry, that is absolute rubbish.

cranberry
    Free Member

HansRey – as a German ?? 🙂 are you claiming that Germany is not one of the world’s best brewing countries ?

debaser

De Prael do some cracking beers and have a wee brewery and bar/cafe just around the corner.

The bar has a relaxed atmosphere, a few bikes on the wall and does astoundingly good meatball sandwiches.

chakaping
    Free Member

We found a fantastic little bar with an amazing list of beers last year.

Unfortunately it was mid-stag weekend and I would have no idea how to get to it again.

Think it was near a canal if that helps?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unfortunately it was mid-stag weekend

It’ll be the same for me.

My first trip to hAmsterdam and it’s on a stag weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions though folks. They have been noted and marked on my map. Hopefully I’ll get to check them out sometime over the weekend.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do they do decent beers in Amsterdam?’ is closed to new replies.