Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Do these pedals exist?
  • Conan257
    Free Member

I’m looking for a caged clipless pedal to give me more support when not clipped in, but without sacrificing their “clipness”.

Using M540’s at the moment, but willing to consider non-shimano. Really after something that gives flat-pedal levels of grip when not clipped in…

GeForceJunky

Nope, don’t exist. The only one close is something SPD on one side and cage on the other.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not quite possible but highly rate the new mallets easier to rebuild and service great clipping changeable pins.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What about M424s? Although they have a resin cage, but I dont think you’ll find a clipless pedal that offers the same level of grip as a good flat pedal.

jota180
    Free Member

Time Z Control?

ThePinkster

Although Z Controls offer a large platform (I’ve got them on my bikes) they’re not very grippy when using with flats, and IME the retention bars can be quite uncomfortable if you’re wearing soft soled shoes with no cleat.

kimbers

the new crank bros mallet 2s

the closest youll get to flat pedal levels of grip (not mallet3s theyve got no pins)

bearings seem much better sealed too

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet 1s are need too. Very damm nice 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Shimano DX (M647)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also much better than any of the shimano pedals I’ve tried. For flat stamping look under most pro Dh riders even those who ride flats.

Conan257
    Free Member

Might just end up getting a set of caged shimano pedals then, to offer some support when not clipped in…

Surprised nobody has created something which offers something at least close to what I’m after.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol ffs crank brothers mallets

Saccades
    Free Member

I use m545’s? I think.

Shimano dual sided – which is fine on the commuter/pub bike as I can clip one side to work and drift to the pub in trainers.

Would be annoying on a mtb bike I would think as the flat side rotates to up (a weight thing), so would always have to be checking what’s going on down there.

And weigh a ton.

The newish XT trail?

alfabus
    Free Member

NOT THESE:

I have some on my pub/cross bike… fine for a pootle to the shops in normal shoes, but far too slippery for any proper riding!

Dave

frogstomp

Wellgo do some dual-sided pedals which are aimed at DH riding which should do the job..

Conan257
    Free Member

Considering the 545’s, but will be looking at the new trail series of pedals… As far as I can see they offer more support but no more grip!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll say it once more

Crank brothers mallets pedal of choice on the pro Dh circuit.

Conan257
    Free Member

There’s a reason I’m not a Pro-DH rider, and it certainly is not the pedals!

Looking into the Mallets, have used eggbeaters in the past and more than happy with them…

I think I’ll pop into the shop at Cannock tomorrow post-ride to size up pedals on my shoes of choice.

grum
    Free Member

Crank brothers mallets pedal of choice on the pro Dh circuit.

Yeah but when theirs fall apart after a couple of rides they just keep getting given more for free. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Over a year and no service on the new ones still feeling good as new. Rebuild is simple and easy.

Love mine best pedals ever owned

xiphon
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep the shimano pedals just look like they a poor on flat style shoes. Pins and flat Soled spd shoes. 5.10 minars here

kimbers

as grum said I think the difference is that pros have mechanics to replace the bearings every 6 months or so/ every wet ride- b4 they fall apart!
    even shimano darlings the athertons insisted on cb pedals

the the newer ones seem to be a lot better sealed, fingers crossed

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

mine fell apart after about 15 months 🙁 not bad considering i guess.

alpin
    Free Member

i once saw a guy with a set of these:

on the non-clipless (so clip side?) he had drilled and threaded several holes and put grub screws in them. seemed to be pretty grippy and quite a clever solution to a problem that i never felt the need to fill.

chickenman

Appologies to haters of Crank Brothers, the Mallets do work extremely well. Just stick them in your instep for those downhills where you might want a foot down in a hurry; you don’t even feel the mechanism. They are also very low profile so less chance of hitting them off rocks.
    Mine are of the previous generation and they need new bearings once a year. Worth the hassle IME.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Do these pedals exist?’ is closed to new replies.