Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do the more expensive Shimano SPD pedals last longer than M520s?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of M520 SPD pedals for about two years and one of them has developed play in the axle, so probably doesn’t have much life left. Is it worth upgrading to a better set, or should I stick with the M520s?

I suppose the important parameter here is life expectancy divided by cost…

Thanks!

Joe

2 years doesn’t seem bad. Have you tried nipping up the bearings by taking the pedal to pieces? It’s very easy to do.

I tend to find that the pedals wear like cleats eventually and you pop out of them too quickly, and that is really the death of them.

R.lepecha

rebuild, re-place bearings if you want. Or just tighten the cones.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve always used XTR and haven’t had any play in 4 years or so – they cost more than twice the amount but weigh a little less and have a slightly nicer action. Being quite lazy when it comes to maintenance (and a bit of a tart!) the extra upfront cost is worth it for me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, basically. They’re just lighter, is all.

Sum
    Free Member

I’ve been using a set of M520 SPD pedals for about two years and one of them has developed play in the axle, so probably doesn’t have much life left. Is it worth upgrading to a better set, or should I stick with the M520s?

I suppose the important parameter here is life expectancy divided by cost…

IME XTRs last longer than the M520s but the M520s are good value for money. If you are not interested in the weight or bling value, stick with M520s.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have two pairs of 515s which are both over 9 years old, never bin serviced, bin out in all weathers, covered in mud, still running fine. Just tighten the tension adjuster a bit every now and then if they start to feel a little ‘loose’.

poppa
    Free Member

Aha, so you can tighten the bearings? Sounds like my sort of solution. I’m not really interested in the bling of the more expensive pedals, and the weight reduction is minimal (for higher end Shimano at least). Thanks for the help!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought 2nd-hand XTR’s, did some 10k miles of road (and off-road too) over the years, still going strong. Cheaper ones were always as reliable but I like the colour of the XTR’s.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

£14 for 520s v £120 for xtr – can they really be nearly 10 times better value?

Use both, cant say I notice much of a difference.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-M520-Black-SPD-MTB-Pedals-NEW-/280665765855?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4158fbb7df

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xtr-m980-xc-race-pedals/

sslowpace
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced some 959’s after nearly 9 years use and 1 service.
    The only reason i’ve got the new xtr is because i wanted a newer pedal.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do the more expensive Shimano SPD pedals last longer than M520s?’ is closed to new replies.