• This topic has 86 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Do the mods know who we are?
  • SaxonRider

Not that I think any of them would have enough time on their hands, or even care, to know, but can the mods see the details behind our usernames?

barney
    Free Member

Yes.

geetee1972
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/KgmO32IdwuE?t=3[/video]

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/PDZcqBgCS74[/video]

fasthaggis

Yes,they have you fully profiled.To be honest it’s a bit worrying and those high heels are a size too small.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d think that , depending on the amount of personal detail you’ve divulged on the forum, then anyone with the inclination and Google could find out exactly who you are in about 5 minutes flat.

SaxonRider

Yes,they have you fully profiled.To be honest it’s a bit worrying and those high heels are a size too small.

So they know me, and have passed that knowledge on to you?!?

Junkyard
    Free Member

they definitely have my e-mail address 😳

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was wrong – it only took 2 minutes. Nice frock by the way.

miketually
    Free Member

If any non-mods care, this is me.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

There’s really not much details to know, and I have all my limited profile details set to public anyway. So what else is there to know?

SaxonRider

I was wrong – it only took 2 minutes.

Jeez. 😯

You know, I’ve never thought to look.

barney
    Free Member

You look lovely when you’re asleep.

miketually
    Free Member

Searching for myself has revealed that Russia Today say I once told them something, which I haven’t.

nickc

but can the mods see the details behind our usernames?

Dullest.Perk.Eva.

Northwind

It takes about 10 seconds for anyone to find out who I am… But tbh I doubt anyone cares that much 😆 People who have a seperate internet “persona” are weird, if there’s something you want private, don’t shout it through a megaphone and if there’s something you don’t want coming back to you, you should already know not to say it.

IMO 😉

SaxonRider

Searching for myself has revealed that Russia Today say I once told them something, which I haven’t.

No surprise from RT, then.

fasthaggis

I was wrong – it only took 2 minutes. Nice frock by the way.

Frock? he was in a bathrobe when I looked. 😯

SaxonRider

It goes with the heels, fh.

That’s enough now, perchy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Frock? he was in a bathrobe when I looked.

Strictly speaking it was a cassock but that wasn’t as funny.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I Am Legion

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Drac

We can also access cameras on your devices, so touching of you to make a Joe Cocker shrine.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I couldn’t find anything out about Northwind or Saxonrider by what’s on STW, without combing threads.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

, so touching of you to make a Joe Cocker shrine.

Has he died?

Quick start a thread so people know!!

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Well I couldn’t find anything out about Northwind or Saxonrider by what’s on STW, without combing threads.

Not from one place I suppose but I’ve been northwind on the internet for pretty much as long as there’s been a modern internet so you leave a trail, especially if you’re a total loudmouth/pub bore, which I am.

I used to play Eve Online and in the middle of an interstellar spaceship square go an american voice came on the voice channel, “Are you Northwind from SVrider.com? With the green bike?” Years since I’d been on that forum from the other side of the world, and also, in space 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

To be fair, SaxonRider was an easy target.
    As would anyone else be who has been riding the same strava segments as him at the same time. 😈

rOcKeTdOg

so touching of you to make a Joe Cocker

That’d be better on the “what have you made lately” thread

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d think that , depending on the amount of personal detail you’ve divulged on the forum, then anyone with the inclination and Google could find out exactly who you are in about 5 minutes flat.

A couple of years ago I tried this with a random selection of usernames to see if this was true. About 70-80% of the time I could find the users real name and address within about 10-15 minutes.

The reason i did it was that i thought it possible that my details had been used to locate and nick one of my bikes from home so i was curious to find out how easy it would be to make the connection. In most cases it was pretty easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, you started off with me? Or yourself? Confused.

SaxonRider

To be fair, SaxonRider was an easy target. As would anyone else be who has been riding the same strava segments as him at the same time.

I think I don’t understand Strava.

I tried to set it so that it doesn’t show what I ride to within 100 metres of my house. If I’m so easy to identify, I really hope it’s worked.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I tried to set it so that it doesn’t show what I ride to within 100 metres of my house. If I’m so easy to identify, I really hope it’s worked.

100 metres isn’t very far and if you’ve only entered the one blocked location then I think you’re at the centre of that 100 metre circle so you might as well just stick a pin on the map in the right place.

If you want to hide your location a little more effectively then you need to create a series of seemingly random overlapping areas that you are somewhere within.

perchypanther
    Free Member

So, you started off with me? Or yourself? Confused.

Nope – SaxonRider is easy to locate on t’internet because we all know which city he lives in and he has a pretty unique career compared to the rest of us.

Once you know that, he’s easy to find on Google, then on Strava.

I tried to set it so that it doesn’t show what I ride to within 100 metres of my house

You did and unless you give permission for someone to follow you then only your achievements on your last ride are visible to all.
    But, the league tables for the segments where you live are available to all and anyone who could be arsed could trawl through the local segments, find you and identify who was riding with you at the same time.

i.e. probably molgrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

See, I couldn’t remember if he’d posted on here what his job is so I didn’t search for that.

if you’ve only entered the one blocked location then I think you’re at the centre of that 100 metre circle

Doesn’t work like that. You draw the circle on Strava, but then it shows your rides as finishing at an exact point which is randomly anywhere within that circle.

Drac

Just get rid of Strava it’s much easier.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Doesn’t work like that. You draw the circle on Strava, but then it shows your rides as finishing at an exact point which is randomly anywhere within that circle.

Ok, happy to be corrected. Has that always been the case or did they change the way it works at some point and does the idea of setting multiple overlapping exclusion zones have any merit or is that a bit overkill?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just get rid of Strava it’s much easier.

Strava was just one example though. You leave a digital trail behind you everywhere you go. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, employers websites, the list is endless.
    The Strava example was only to wind molgrips up a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point though – I’ve made a slight effort to cover my internet tracks, but Strava links people together now.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m no better.
    I’ve just typed in to google a four word search based on broad generic terms based on what i do for a living, which i’ve made no secret of, and the town in which I live, again no secret……. and my grinning face (which I recently posted on here) was the fourth result.

Captured in 15 secs. 😳

fasthaggis

Ok,it was me that left that box of Milk Tray on your doorstep perchy 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried that, found a lot of other people with my first name (available from my public email address).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Do the mods know who we are?’ is closed to new replies.