Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Do the forks i want actually exist.
  • mactheknife

At the moment i am running a set of coil lyriks ( u-turn) on a 5 spot which i do actually love for various reasons.

BUT i have got it into my head i really dont need these heavy duty forks for most of my riding.

So to what i would like. 🙂

150mm or 140mm – 120 mm travel adjust at the flick of a switch. (air),
    34mm stanchions as i like stiffer feeling forks,
    20mm maxle.

The closest i could find were 140mm BOS Devilles but i keep hearing the horror stories regarding their ability to completely knacker themselves when needed the most. Even though a mate of mine runs them with absolutely no issues.

So what have u got for me 🙂 Oh and this is all hypothetical as there is not a snowflakes chance in hell in spending 800 quid just because i think i need a new fork 🙂 maybe 🙂

Northwind

Have you actually tried a Revelation with a maxle? Only reason that Fox went to 34mm was that their 32mm forks are so much wibblier than Rockshox 32mm forks…

Stevelol
    Free Member

Devilles are smashing, just get some, mine were flawless. You could also hunt for some marz 44 s, the new xfusion slant looks promising too.

sambob
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

You don’t want a travel adjust Marzocchi

robhughes
    Free Member

These should do the trick just nicely.150-120 at the flick of a switch and plenty stiff. 😀

RustyMac

There is a guy on the forum who has a blue/silver 5 Spot that he has now sprayed a very nice black. I think it he may go under vortex racing?? I’m pretty sure he has revelations on his 5 spot so should be able to give you a good idea of what they will be like on the bike.

I have a Iron horse MkIII similar to the 5 spot and run 2012 RLT revs with a 15mm axle and love them on the bike. If you specifically want 20mm axle and all the other bits and bobs LoCo can custom build some for you and i’m pretty sure they would be a lot less than £800.

honourablegeorge

Sektors can be had in 20mm on Merlin too

Vortexracing

There is a guy on the forum who has a blue/silver 5 Spot that he has now sprayed a very nice black. I think it he may go under vortex racing?? I’m pretty sure he has revelations on his 5 spot so should be able to give you a good idea of what they will be like on the bike.

yip thats me, the forks suit the bike perfectly IMHO. I did have some Domains on it for a while but they would be only for a trip to the Alps if I had kept them.

The revs seem perfect, Turner built the 5 spot around the A-C of that fork. with a 20mm axle they feel more than stiff enough. tried them in the lakes, peaks and Spain and they have been perfect, as well as uplift days

P1040766 by eastham_david, on Flickr

mactheknife

Northwind, i had a set of revs for a while and the slightest breeze had them flexing all over the place. But i was running them alongside the lyriks to decide which ones i would keep so probably not the fairest comparison.

BUT – Vortex you may have me convinced to try them again, i was looking at the new 2013 revs but they are all 15mm maxle.

bigdean

Got fed up with the 32’s flapping about on my 5spot. Got some cheep(ish) talas 36’s off ebay. Old ones with 3mm increment travel adjust, dont like the full 150mm setting but a few turns down is good for riding around the dark peak.

Vortexracing

a guy was selling a set of Rev WC with a 20mm lowers a few days ago on here. If your spot has the 44mm HT they may be a goer.

RustyMac

That’s the one i was thinking of!

I see you have a monarch plus on there, what tune did you go for and how do you like it? Thinking of that as the next upgrade for my Iron horse.

mactheknife

Nice one Vortex I’ll have a hunt for them cheers. yup its a 2011 5 spot so 44 headset.

How are you finding the 5 spot for your riding? I honestly cant see me changing to anything else soon. The rear suspension DW link is a thing of beauty 🙂

Vortexracing

Bought it off here as a med/med (comp/reb) and thought it was a little ‘constipated’.

So sent it to Loco, who changed it to Low/low and now it’s great. The ability to firm up the compression for long roads is spot on. The bike feels so composed in all situations, it just gets on with the job.

Somebody a couple of weeks ago on here was sellinga new one with a med/med tune 190mmx50mm.

Northwind

mactheknife – Member

Northwind, i had a set of revs for a while and the slightest breeze had them flexing all over the place

Rule out the 34s then, they’re not much stiffer (unless you had older pre-2010 Revs?)

nickhart
    Free Member

To the OP, are you set on 20mm or is it you can’t change your hub to 15? Or are you worried about stiffness and strength? I have totems on one bike and revelations on the other, twenty versus fifteen, I can’t feel any difference in stiffness or lateral strength. They’re both great forks and that’s under seventeen stone of bloke.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Try some DT Swiss XMM140’s – they’re only 32mm but they’re stiffer than the Lyriks I used to have. The travel drops to 100mm and at that level they’re very firm.

They’ve also taken me ages to get set up, but now they’re bedded in, they’re not a bad fork.

EXM 150’s are supposed to be decent as well.

warpcow
    Free Member

Magura Thor fits the bill in everything except the 20mm axle, but it’s still stiffer than almost any other 32mm fork. One of the German stores has over 50% off on the travel-adjust version just now.

Edit:
    here (clicky)

beagle
    Free Member

Vortex. You always have your bike set up so nice. Great spec there!

simonm
    Free Member

Lyriks are only 35mm….

mactheknife

Maguras, now why had I not thought about them :-).

I think you might just have the answer, 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for the Thors.

Very stiff, and weigh not a lot.

Short-travel mode is only really for climbing though, I find if I leave it activated and I’ve got too much weight over the front, they keep compressing all the way down.

Customer service is very good too.

Edit – they are expensive, but depreciate quite a lot so you should be able to find a bargain year or 2 old pair.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I quite like Maguras – I’ve a set of Wotans on my big bike. They’re stiff, tunable and very easy to maintain.

simonm
    Free Member

X-Fusion Slant are the ones your actually after, the only slight difference is that bolt through is 15mm not 20 I think

http://www.xfusionshox.com/en/product/forks/slant/2013-slant-rl2-dla.html

davosaurusrex

Got the 150mm Bomber 44 RC3 Ti coils on my ’11 5 spot, stiff enough, not that heavy, I think they’re awesome. No travel adjust and 15mm axle though. What about some used air Pike U-turns? Having to wind the travel adjust up and down is a bit of a faff mind

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Do the forks i want actually exist.’ is closed to new replies.