Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do some films cease to exist?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

When I was a kid I read 'the Dove' all about some young kid sailing around the world taking years to do so and meeting and marrying his girl on the way.
    I always wanted to see the film and never did, so do some films just slip into oblivion.

grievoustim
    Free Member

yes – they fall off the cultural/ critical map

annoys me because on TV there are so many channels – yet they all seem to show the same films over and over again (including Film 4 and I thought the whole point of that channel was to show a broad range of interesting films)

Bring back moviedrome with Alex Cox …. now

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member
    slowjo
    Free Member

Film 4…. don't you mean Channel Shawshank Redemption? It seems to be on every bloomin' day.

I think they have lost the plot. All they seem to show are Hollywood "blockbusters " that have passed their sell by date.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and i agree about film 4, when it was a pay channel it showed a mixed bag of content at all time. now if you don't want to watch the shawshank redemption 7 days a week you have to stay up until some ungodly hour to see anything vaguely interesting

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

😆 at slowjo

AndyP
    Free Member

Oddly, when I just looked at the Film 4 listings for this week, The Shawshank Redemption is on once this week. It's clearly a mistake. Unless somebody is talking shite….?

tomalsop
    Free Member

Most places have deleted their VHS catalogue and some films just haven't made it to DVD yet. Either because a studio is still working through it's back catalogue or the rights to the title may have slipped into obscurity.

I make DVDs and it's amazing what some of our clients pick up the rights to after languishing at the back of a dusty film library for years.

vinnyeh

All they seem to show are Hollywood "blockbusters " that have passed their sell by date.

And Underworld, along with the odd Jennifer Anniston box office flop.

Interesting thing I found out is that a lot of older stuff, especially some tv series won't make it onto dvd due to licencing issues with music- basically the cost of using the music will outweigh the expected revenues.

I remember The Dove, read it as a kid.
    You having a midlife crisis oldgit?

grievoustim
    Free Member

vinnyeh -apparantly if you get "The Young Ones" on DVD all the musical interludes have been removed – for the reason you describe

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

they can play any part of the underworld trilogy as much as they want in my book

giggedy

Drac

Oddly, when I just looked at the Film 4 listings for this week, The Shawshank Redemption is on once this week. It's clearly a mistake. Unless somebody is talking shite….?

Even stranger is that it's just back on their play list.

aracer
    Free Member

now if you don't want to watch the shawshank redemption 7 days a week you have to stay up until some ungodly hour to see anything vaguely interesting

Have I slipped backwards into some age before the existence of video recorders (or even – gasp – HD recorders with 7 day programme guides)?

Have to admit I've been extremely disappointed with F4 since it went free – was really looking forward to it when I couldn't get it. Have recorded a couple of things off it in the last week though.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i don't want to record the films or plan my watching, i want to be able to watch films on a whim which was what it offered when it was a pay channel

aracer
    Free Member

Really? So at any given moment you could watch something worth watching? No planning required?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

their prime time slot used to have something different from the run of the mill stuff they tend to show now. The pressures of selling advertising time means they are forced to show more widely popular content at their peak (2100-2300). This has pushed the more obscure back into the later slots when i'm generally asleep.

And yes, i want to be able to turn on what purports to be a quirky film channel and watch something randomly different, not the same tired old classics

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think they have lost the plot.

It is because they realised no-one wanted to pay for the privilege of watching most of the shite* they did put on so went advertising-based which meant they had to show more mainstream stuff.

*There was the odd great film but let's be honest, it WAS filled with lots of rubbish.

kimbers

yeah damn right some issue with michael mann and the studio means that the Keep will never see dvd release (and certainly not in the directors intended version) while my ex rental vhs copy detriorates further on every watch!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do some films cease to exist?’ is closed to new replies.