Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Do real men cry?
  • davidrussell
    Free Member

as long as its sincere it fine. nothing worse than watching folk greet at the x-factor etc.

Andy-R

I don't tend to cry on the usual "sad" occasions but I can get a bit emotional (choked up, rather than crying) watching or looking at something that particularly impresses me – it can be impressive landscapes, watching a race of some sort or even (strangely) watching a Greek bus driver turning a huge brand spanking new Mercedes bus in a really confined village square, as easily as most people park outside their house.

hora
    Free Member

Define crying though – blubbing like a girl with snot bubbling out of your nose like a 5yr old?

Or red eyed, tears steadily streaming down? Im in the last camp and did this in the delivery suite last week. I also do this in certain films. In the English Patient etc etc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

blubbing like a girl with snot bubbling out of your nose like a 5yr old?

I can imagine why you might evoke this response is women 🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

It's nothing to do with being a "real" "man", but I dislike crying enormously and go to a lot of effort to avoid doing it when anyone can see or hear. I find the actual physical sensation uncomfortable and humiliating and hate the idea that someone can see that they're messing me up. 😐

hora
    Free Member

I can imagine why you might evoke this response is women

Don't you have derrières somewhere that need photographing? 🙄 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oooh. Handbags. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Folk not crying is ****ed up IMO, male or female, any age.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Real people are comfortable with their emotions trying to stop yourself crying, or worse , not having the emotional literature to be able to do so makes you a less than complete human being IMHO.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Crying in front of your boss because he's being a real meanie doesn't seem the most manly of things to do though 😉

hora
    Free Member

Real men do cry- just not in public.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think a seismic shift in people's ideas about what being a "real man" involved was well under way by the time people were saying things like "emotional literature". Within my lifetime, "real men" will:

– cry at weddings
    – watch Gossip Girl
    – use moisturiser regularly
    – have no body hair at all
    – wee sitting down

The world is changing. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Don't you have derrières somewhere that need photographing?

by all means – the difference being that they laugh when I'm doing it 🙂

PS Does this count as "Hora bashing" ?

lyons
    Free Member

I have been known to shed a tear. The only time I regret doing so was my a certain girl broke up with me.

hora
    Free Member

PS Does this count as "Hora bashing" ?

Runs out, slams door crying

rkk01
    Free Member

Bit af a silly question really, as others have said, it's often an involuntary response.

I've found myself to be more emotional as I've got older – kids, tiredness, stress, less bothered about being buttoned up….

… and sometimes at the strangest of things, much to the amusement of my wife!!

Memories triggered by scent and sound being particularly powerful.

And for anger and joy as well as for sorrow.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

+1 to Big Dummy.

Real men do whatever the **** they like..

-Wear pink
    -Cry
    -Pee sitting down
    -Moisturise
    -Watch Desperate Housewives (maybe no Sex and The City tho!)
    etc
    etc

With one exception real men don't disrespect women. That is for pussies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think a seismic shift in people's ideas about what being a "real man" involved was well under way by the time people were saying things like "emotional literature".

Hangs head in shame realises what he has said …yes a fair point actually but I dont do anything on your list ….yet. My dads emotional literature consists of morose and a bit happier when drunk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I cried when dad died, my girls were born and watching Dead Poet's Society. 😮

I almost cried last night watching 'one Born Every Minute' too – it brought back memories of being in a Special Care Unit for a week with the girls last summer.

hora
    Free Member

With one exception real men don't disrespect women

BigJohn

I recently found that describing your new-born grandson and dry eyes are mutually incompatible.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don't have kids. I'll never understand.

Woody
    Free Member

but I often find myself moved to tears by great beauty

Shaving must be a blurry affair SFB 😆

Crying is a good emotional release but really should be in private if at all possible. You never saw real sportsmen cry until comparatively recently – Gazza appears to have opened the floodgates so to speak. Can't stand celebrity bubbling, especially reality tv bollox. MTFU in public at least.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

never mind the crying bit.

WTF is a 'real man'?! ❓

hora
    Free Member

I can really stub my toe hard against the corner of a table and merely let out a silent scream along with a flood of invective aimed at the skies.. (think a footballer kneeling and looking upset why is ball didnt go into the goal)..

If I have white wine though- the next day I will cry like a baby.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hora… is the Don backing me up on that one, or will I shortly be sleeping with the fishes?

hora
    Free Member

Kisses Southern Yeti on both cheeks and hugs.

Define real man? For me, a 'real man' is someone who can admit he has made a mistake and learns from it. Humility.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you must have lots of experience in that department Hora 😆

Mounty_73

My nan use to say 'A strong man should never be afraid to cry…'

So I guess I am strong. 🙂

IHN

blubbing like a girl with snot bubbling out of your nose like a 5yr old

Due to one thing and another over the last few years, yep, I have.

Not so much recently, which is good. But then I know that the X-Factor final is going to roll around again at some point…

hora
    Free Member

I was too, when the Duck won the K Factor!

molgrips
    Free Member

Crying and weakness aren't the same thing, although people used to think they were.

I tend to cry when films tv books etc remind me of the love in my life. I also cry when I think about sandwiches made by my mum. Almost every day, 18 years, she made sandwiches so I'd not go hungry.. the simplest gesture of care and love in something so mundane… nothing will ever taste so good as cheese sandwiches from my mum.. even now I have a tear in my eye.. 🙂 (and she's not even dead yet).

owenfackrell
    Free Member

hora – Member
    did this in the delivery suite last week.

I defie anyone (who acctual cares about there ofspring) to not cry at this point.

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    I almost cried last night watching 'one Born Every Minute' too – it brought back memories of being in a Special Care Unit for a week with the girls last summer.

I did to this as it also brough back memories of being in that very unit ( though strangly it doesn't effect me when i go in for work).

molgrips
    Free Member

I defie anyone (who acctual cares about there ofspring) to not cry at this point.

I didn't cry.. I grinned a lot though 🙂

salad_dodger

My two brothers and I shed a tear or two yesterday afternoon, but we were burying our father at the time. Not sure if we can be classed as real men or not now…

Midnighthour
    Free Member

In the past, I had better general relationships with boyfriends who cried sometimes. They tended to be more emotionally assessable, and more open and caring. All things I found positives. My dad was of the 'old school' and would not let himself cry even when his mum died. I found him generally a remote person and I never really knew what he felt about anything much, or if indeed he felt much at all in the way of emotions. It was a bleak relationship in many ways. Certainly not an attitude I would wish to find in a friend or lover. Its better to have a complete person than someone who lives behind an icy wall.

Ti29er
    Free Member

What makes me weep most is: people not knowing the difference between there & their, but the worst culprit, people not knowing the difference between they're & there.

Sincere commiserations salad – I personally still have all that to go through.

ourmaninthenorth

The last two occasions I cried were four and 15 years ago respectively.

Sometimes I feel like crying, and sometimes I ahve wanted to cry, but it feels likel such a personal act I can't even manage to do it alone.

I wonder if that means I am more emotionally stunted than I thought I was. Maybe I am. After all, I am struggling to commit to the leg shaving I need to do for the road racing season….

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Do real men cry?’ is closed to new replies.