• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do Raceblades fit any road bike?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Just got a set of crudracers for daughters bike but the rear doesn’t fit, not enough clearance.

Looks like the raceblade longs require less clearance.

Has anyone fitted them to a bike with tight clearance?

I’m loaved to wasting any more money keep buying different models!!

Thanks

jam-bo

No material other than a 1mm-ish metal mount goes under the brake so probably. They fitted fine on my secteur that has **** all clearance.

joebristol

I’ve got some normal size sks raceblades from a few years back. The back one fits ok ish but moves a lot and needs constant readjustment. The front one just outright is at the wrong angle for my forks so gave up trying to mount them.

Jase
    Free Member

Thanks both, have ordered a set.

Fully expecting them to not be as good as full mudguards.

legend
    Free Member

Raceblades are fine. Short ones don’t go under the brake so no clearance issue there. They can also be manipulated and bent all over the place to get them how you want them.

One small bodge I did though was to drill small holes in the guard just to the front and rear of where they attach to the legs. Then just looped a wee cable tie through and i’ve never had to touch them again (stops the rubbery horse shoe-y bit shuffling back/forward over time). Not sure if you’ll need to do the same with the current versions though

simondbarnes

One small bodge I did though was to drill small holes in the guard just to the front and rear of where they attach to the legs. Then just looped a wee cable tie through and i’ve never had to touch them again (stops the rubbery horse shoe-y bit shuffling back/forward over time)

Or you could use the screws the guards come with.

legend
    Free Member

Nah, that would imply you didn’t just bin them

simondbarnes

🙂

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers, will take care with the small parts in the box!

twowheels
    Free Member

I have raceblades on a Langster with 28mm GP4S. They are an older model and new ones look even sleeker. The front needed to be set near perfectly, and even then still I cannot pedal round tight corners (otherwise the front of my shoes hit the mudguards) and there is almost contact on the downtube.
    After a few years I found the plastic clips got a bit loose so I Alraldite/expoy’d them together.

I have standard reach 105 brakes but my raceblades do not go under them- at the front they butt up to the back of the fork and on the back they stop just before the calipers.

Here is the best photo I have to hand:

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They fit my Giant TCR SLR with 5800 105 brakes and 25mm tyres. Had to chop down the rear a little at the seat tube as it was too close clearance where the seat tube curves with the tyre.

They obviously don’t keep brakes and front mech clean because of the way they attach but they’re as good as proper guards for keeping the rider clean – in fact they’re longer and a have mud flaps which the proper guards on my other bike don’t have.

twowheels
    Free Member

@mtbtomo: I hadn’t noticed the new ones have flaps- thanks. How “flappy” are they at the front and do the flaps protrude much?

@simonbarnes,legend: I epoxy’d mine, which I guess looks neater but means the guards probably can’t be used on another bike. (That hasn’t been a problem for me though as they’ll likely to stay on the Langster till I bin them)

trail_rat
    Free Member

That hasn’t been a problem for me though as they’ll likely to stay on the Langster till I bin them

Your optimistic .

Hateful things

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Pro XLs on a Canyon Endurace CF. Fit fine in the rear, but the front of a bit of a pair in the arse. Very close to the downtube, and the fork legs are toi chunky for the front breakers so they really don’t sit very well at all. I took the front off after a few weeks. That and the constant readjustment after bashing it every rude with my toes whilst trackstanding or winding through tight spaces was really irritating. To the point that I took the front off on my way to work and rode home with it on my pack!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The mud flaps are stiff enough in themselves.

The front part in front of the fork does rattle/flap a little on high speed descents but compared to Crud mk3’s they’re solid.

Toe overlap could be a problem on any bike even it’s designed to take proper mudguards – it’s not a fault of the race blades themselves.

I have bike that takes proper guards and toe overlap is apparent but I accept that otherwise the frame would be somewhat long, and I don’t need it any longer

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Mine also came with two different size attachments for the front, to accommodate chunkier fork blades/1.5″ steerers.

twowheels
    Free Member

@mtbtomo- thanks, yeah agreed re. overlap and I should clarify I think there’d be overlap with *any* mudguard on my Langster

Jase
    Free Member

Update, they fit fine and were quite easy to fit.

Only downside is they wobble quite a bit but was expecting this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do Raceblades fit any road bike?’ is closed to new replies.