• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bigh.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do people use MTB guides here in the UK?
  • robd

Never used a guide here in the UK as have just gone out and explored an area but see guiding buisness’ advertising here in the fod and elsewhere Can’t believe people really pay upwards of £100 to be shown around here in the uk. Have you?

parkesie
    Free Member

Tourists and novice groups usually id expect.

wwaswas

I know someone who regularly does guiding for groups in the UK.

There’s a company that does south downs way tours where they shuttle your luggage, guide you and lay on feed stops.

I think the point of guiding is often finding the good bits in an area.

If you can get someone to do that at a time that suits you and they have a bit of first aid etc knowledge to boot then it’s as relevant in the UK as anywhere else?

trusty

Depends on where you are. Guiding somewhere waymarked like the Long Mynd I can’t see the point as pretty much everything is on the map, but the FOD where the best stuff is unmarked and not always easy to find I can maybe see the point. although an increase in guided groups there may explain the new no cycling FC signs around staunton and the trip wires placed at dowies…

kayak23

Guiding is often mixed with a bit of coaching too…I think.
    I know folks doing that.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, I used a guide in Northumberland a few years back. Am normally happy to ride on my own but I wanted a change from map reading and arguing with myself. 🙂

Luggage transfer is a great idea provided a company can be flexible, ie not everyone wants to do the popular trails and may prefer to plan their own route.

Northwind

Go Where seem to do pretty well guiding up here… Mind you it’s part-guiding, part package trip.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think the point of guiding is often finding the good bits in an area.

Strava is a lot cheaper

BigDummy
    Free Member

I haven’t, but would.

I actively like the business of being guided a bit. IME, the vast majority of outdoor guides are immensely likeable, pleasant people. Having someone else riding with you and shifting the dynamic of the group you’re riding with is fun, hearing their store of anecdotes and experience is great value, a spot of informal coaching is excellent, someone else taking responsibility for navigating/timekeeping/logistics is a relief sometimes etc. In the scheme of things, I’ve always regarded day guiding rates as one of the better VfM bits of this game.

cinnamon_girl

The thing is though that people ride bikes for all sorts of reasons and interests. Equally applies to road bikes as well as mtb’s.

There’s a huge amount to see in the UK but are there many guiding companies to take advantage of that?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Why not. I wouldn’t go on a riding holiday to Spain without a local guide, it would waste so much time riding crap trails. UK is just another country with lots of good riding, much of it hidden…

Northwind

Cost’s got to have an impact I reckon. I nearly booked in with go-where a while back but when I got down to it, a week up north wasn’t massively cheaper than a week in france. I’m sure Andy has a great op but he can’t put a roof over the highlands or turn the sun up!

youngrob

I’ve used Go Where to explore Torridon. It was a great weekend and really useful having his expertise in the area.

cinnamon_girl

A few years ago a group of us did the West Country C2C and we used panniers. Nowadays I’m just not able to do that so a Company that does luggage transfers would be ideal.

Another way of looking at it is that it opens up lots of possibilities for riders of all ages and abilities. You don’t need to be super-fit to enjoy the trails.

bigh
    Free Member

I would consider it for somewhere like the lakes. Im a guide, I get a few bookings but could never earn a proper wage from it. School groups are another story tho. Hi Trusty 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do people use MTB guides here in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.