Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • do people die mtbing in the uk ?
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Depends on how much more bike stuff I buy, Mrs C might want to bump me off!!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I very nearly died trying to ride UP Smith’s Coombe on the Quantocks a few years back ,,,I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.

Lucky escape I think I only ride down it now.. 😆

lucien

Alpin, let me know where you are going to ride next, and I’ll make sure I go somewhere else………..

TheBrick
    Free Member

I hear exploding 29er wheels have caused a few minor injuries from shrapnel, but thankfully so far no serious injuries or deaths.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

ditto Lucien. Alpin sounds like the kind of guide that has made some bad calls about his clients ability?

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

lots of casualties due to carbon frames snapping and the fibres getting into their blood.

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Many years ago there was a downhill series in the Valleys that got cancelled because someone hit a tree and died, or so I heard.

alpin
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member

ditto Lucien. Alpin sounds like the kind of guide that has made some bad calls about his clients ability?

wouldn’t say that….

this here relates to my time on Gran Canaria… much of the problem lies with the company. they’ll book people onto a tour without any knowledge of that persons skill level. the guest will be collected from the hotel having already paid and will be expecting a tour. sometimes there were 15 plus people.

the majority of these people have little or no experience of MTBing.

many people can talk themselves up, but can’t ride. many guests have little experience of mountain biking other than a bimble along wide forest tracks back home. when you find that out it is too late as you are up in the hills without any other means of getting back down other than riding.

we even had to take people aside and explain how the brakes worked or not to pull the front brake as they’d fly over the bars.

also, this sounds stupid, but due to peoples lack of experience minor tumbles end up with exaggerated results as people don’t know how to fall. most of the bruised/broken ribs (3 cases) were because of this – in fact one of these was because the lady panicked when another guest over took her and she grabbed a handful of front brake.

always safety first, but when you take 200, maybe 300, plus people out you are bound to have a few accidents. there is only so much you can do as a guide; tell people where the dangers are, give them pointers and if necessary tell them to get off the bike and walk. as it happens, i often sent people back down to the shop if i felt they weren’t up to it, but this wasn’t always possible due to the geography of the island and the area in which a tour was taking place. and as said, once you’re up in the hills you’re a bit buggered.

in fact, there was not a single serious accident on the “freeride” tours. i put this down to people being bikers prior to their holiday excursion.

the best myself/a guide can to is try to prevent those from happening. each rider is responsible for their actions and i will always tell them at the start to ride “safe”, that there are no points or prizes and that if they have a serious accident not only is it their holiday that is ruined, but also their fellow riders. i will also tell people to walk/push a section if i feel they are not up to it.

the tours i guide over summer are generally frequented by “proper” bikers – that is people who have and regularily ride a mountain bike. accidents do and will always happen.

have fun, stay safe….. 🙂

Ambrose

Alpin- been there, done that. Although many years ago, with a different clientelle. I know how you feel, it can be pretty grim.

totalshell

friend of mine spent an hour telling me how his daughter ( experienced rider late 40’s) died recently whilst out riding with her family, fell from bike whilst stood still. helmet wearer.

cheez0
    Free Member

alpin

luckily, three other people saw it happen.

yeah, lucky old them!

hora
    Free Member

There was a STW who died on a group ride (a few years ago) from a heart attack.

I remember a tribute thread from the time.

In general, if you have a fairly heavy night on the booze then strenuous exercise first thing you are at risk.

lucien

Alpin, no need to justify why people injure / die when they go riding with you…….honestly 8)

Reluctant
    Free Member

I nearly died laughing at Harry Spider ans wwaswas talking about donkey catching 😆 😆 😆
    First time I’ve laughed in ages – quite enjoyable, I might try it again soon.

tonyg2003

There are plenty of stories of timetriallers getting killed – at least a couple a year. It’s got to be the riskiest form of cycling sport. However mountain biking (lower speeds – no 2ton metal boxes on the roads to hit you) is comparatively much safer (in terms of deaths) than any form of sport or recreational road cycling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think many folk at all die from mountainbikeing. All the stories I have heard are people who die while mountinbiking – from heart attacks and the like.

I am sure deaths happen but given the total lack of publicity I think it must be very rare

hora
    Free Member

Can we not be so grim please?

Lets talk about the 99.999999% of people who are healthier, fitter and more relaxed, not as stressed due to mountain biking?

bonj
    Free Member

I have it on good authority that there have been sightings of skulls in wharncliffe woods.

globalti
    Free Member

A mountain biker died near here in 2000; he hit a wall at the end of a fast descent. There’s a memorial there now.

MTB rider dies

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect off-road biking is safer than road biking.

honourablegeorge

tonyg2003 – Member
    There are plenty of stories of timetriallers getting killed – at least a couple a year. It’s got to be the riskiest form of cycling sport. However mountain biking (lower speeds – no 2ton metal boxes on the roads to hit you) is comparatively much safer (in terms of deaths) than any form of sport or recreational road

Have had more near death experiences commuting than I’ve ever had on an MTB.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘do people die mtbing in the uk ?’ is closed to new replies.