Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do N/W click and tick?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mine does! Could be PF bb? Could be pedals? Could be KS lev dropper?

True..

But it only seems to happen in some gears, so I’m assuming it’s the NW ring clicking at certain points as the chain settles into place with certain pressure?

Oh… And other than filling the tubes with expanding foam (lol) I assume there’s not a way to stop the internal cable rattling? It’s as annoying as a noisy eater that talks with their mouth full!

jam-bo

mine did for a bit.

but only because the bolts weren’t done up tight enough.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh yea good point…. but why click and creak in only some gears not all?

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve heard of people putting foam tape around rattling internal cables (though I have no idea how you do that!) Seems a massive case of form over function which I’m hoping will go away…

I think my N-W rings used to click on the biggest sprocket where the chain angle is most extreme but it only happened when they were new.

davidjey
    Free Member

One of mine was a little noisy when new. Mate who worked in a bike shop has a theory that they get quieter once some of the anodising has worn off the teeth. This has indeed happened with mine.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got 4 NWs and ime the bigger they are the more they click

The 36s seem quite intolerant to chain line

sam_underhill

Especially once they are wet and muddy. I’ve put it down to the tighter tolerances in an 11 speed setup.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ok thanks chaps it is quite a new ring. Bolts are tight. Greased seat post, clamp and bolts, also done seat bolts and rails. I’m sure the rattly cable will annoy me less with time it’s just new to me and noisy compared to my HT. Hopefully it will settle and it’s not something like the BB or pivot starting to go.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dbl post

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve always found them to be quieter.

The only time i got noise was when my chainline was out a mm or so. is it in the largest 2-3 cassette sprockets when the noises start? if so, the chainline is probably too far out and you’ll need to space the ring in a mm. 4 washers under the crank tabs will sort that.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m 1×10…dont think it’s chain line issue. More investimagation needed.

daver27
    Free Member

i found 1 x 10 was worse than 1 x 11, especially in the lower (larger) 3 sprockets

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm rode it to and from work, not a single click. Oh well. Ride on Macbeth!

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Mine was quiet from new, however I’m running 1×8 so I guess the wider chain may have something to do with it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had it on a 1×10 bike where the chainline wasn’t perfect. It clicked in the biggest cog at the rear when climbing steep hills. I couldn’t figure it out until one day I was working on the bike in the stand and back pedalled it. I could see the chain trying to be dragged off sideways and making the clicking noise. I adjusted the chain-line and all is now well. I had blamed it on many things up until that point.

daver27
    Free Member

if chainline is out, even a tiny amount of grit can make a right old racket.

it can look spot on, but it won’t be.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well the more I ride, the more I think it probably is the BB. Mainly because there’s no clicks when I freewheel, but when I pedal, the clicks happen.

Regreased saddle rails, saddle bolts and seat post. Regreased seat post clamp. Checked bolts on chain ring. Took pedals off, cleaned and regreased. Checked lock ring on cassette.

So… Let’s hear suggestions for a new BB for a 2015 Trance! It’s an SLX chainset at present so I guess a new Shimano job? Steel? Ceramic? 3rd party?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do N/W click and tick?’ is closed to new replies.